• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Kate94

I blew well under the legal limit however the police had subsequently written to the DVLA.

I now have to have a medical examination with my GP (who I've never met) so I can keep my license.

I'm 29, female, healthy BMI (possibly not as active as I should be as I work from home) with no medical issues although I've disclosed that I've had on / off depression in the past. I'm not on any prescriptions at all and I do not abuse paracetamol or anything else. I have been on antidepressants in the past (Citalopram 15mg and Sertraline 15mg) however that was 7 - 11 years ago.

I will have gone 7 weeks without drinking any alcohol at all by the time my test comes around (next week). I feel fine, I haven't had any cravings nor have I experienced any "withdrawal symptoms".

I'm concerned about the test as the few weeks before my abstinence I definitely had a lot over the recommended 14 units in the weeks.... I've been a lot more active since then and my diet has improved (however it wasn't bad before anyway) I've actually lost about stone in weight. I haven't drank anything but water and lemon water. I feel physically better without drinking but not significantly different.

I have a completely clean license and haven't had problems from drinking or the police in past.

(I'm screwed if I don't get my license as I live by myself in a very rural area with no public transport at all and I don't really know anyone that well around here.)

Do you think I'll pass the blood test part of the medical?

What else is done in a DVLA medical?

If you blew under the limit, why have the police written to the DVLA? There must be something they are concerned about for them to do that. Did something else happen?

If you blew under the limit, why have the police written to the DVLA? There must be something they are concerned about for them to do that. Did something else happen?
Car was hit by another driver on country lane, I called the police as we were blocking the lane

Do you think I'll pass the blood test part of the medical?

If you define 'pass' as getting a CDT percentage of anywhere between 0.2 and 2.2%, then yes I'm fairly confident that you will pass - as long as everything in your thread is true to the best of your knowledge.

If you define 'pass' as getting a CDT percentage of anywhere between 0.2 and 2.2%, then yes I'm fairly confident that you will pass - as long as everything in your thread is true to the best of your knowledge.
Yes it is

What else is done in a DVLA medical?

They'll ask you about your drinking habits, if you've ever had any blackouts or injuries as a result of your drinking. You'll be asked if you are or have ever been treated for any mental health conditions. Pretty straight forward questions.

The questionnaire below has a list of questions that most of us on this forum probably know word for word. Most of the questions, if not all of them, on that questionnaire will be asked of you.

Just to give you an bit of an indiction of what will be ask, that is. Any other questions shouldn't be a problem for you to answer, as it will just be straight forward stuff that you'd answer if you were joining a new GP practice. It's just like a new patient to a GP surgery medical appointment - height, weight, blood pressure will be taken.

Just out of interest, if you don't mind me asking, how do you plan on answering the following questions.

1. When did you last have an alcoholic drink?
2. How much alcohol was consumed on the last occasion?
3. How often do you have a drink containing alcohol?
4. How much alcohol do you drink on a typical day when
you are drinking?
5. How often in the last year have you drank 6 units or
more on a single occasion?

You don't have to tell me or anyone on here for that matter.

They'll ask you about your drinking habits, if you've ever had any blackouts or injuries as a result of your drinking. You'll be asked if you are or have ever been treated for any mental health conditions. Pretty straight forward questions.

The questionnaire below has a list of questions that most of us on this forum probably know word for word. Most of the questions, if not all of them, on that questionnaire will be asked of you.

Just to give you an bit of an indiction of what will be ask, that is. Any other questions shouldn't be a problem for you to answer, as it will just be straight forward stuff that you'd answer if you were joining a new GP practice. It's just like a new patient to a GP surgery medical appointment - height, weight, blood pressure will be taken.
Thank you. Is eyesight and coordination etc not tested?

Just out of interest, if you don't mind me asking, how do you plan on answering the following questions.

1. When did you last have an alcoholic drink?
2. How much alcohol was consumed on the last occasion?
3. How often do you have a drink containing alcohol?
4. How much alcohol do you drink on a typical day when
you are drinking?
5. How often in the last year have you drank 6 units or
more on a single occasion?

You don't have to tell me or anyone on here for that matter.
1. Roughly 25th November
2. About 7 - 8 units
3. I did about 3 - 4 times a week
4. 3
5. Unsure but not many, maybe 5

1. Roughly 25th November
2. About 7 - 8 units
3. I did about 3 - 4 times a week
4. 3
5. Unsure but not many, maybe 5

A word of caution, if you will.

If you say you've drank 6 or more units on a single occasion, you may end up having your licence revoked for a least 6 months, as they are likely to make that down as alcohol misuse.

Same thing goes for if you say you drink more than 14 units a week.

I'd be very careful with what you say to the DVLA doctor. By the sounds of it you've just been a bit unlucky and now you're under the DVLA medical microscope.

I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

If you tell the DVLA medical doctor what you've just told me, they will revoke your licence. I'm 100% certain of that.

The part about the questions I asked about your alcohol consumption. A HGV driver on this forum had a fitness check for their 65th birthday. They stated to their doctor that they drank more than the recommended weekly amount (over 14 units per week), and had done for the past 25+ years. Said GP wrote to the DVLA which has resulted in them having their licence revoked. They too have never been convicted for anything drink or drug related.

Xeronema you are correct in what you say, the government guidelines of drinking are 14 units, this is not across a 7 day week this is across a 3/4 day week to allow breaks in alcohol through the week, that math, 14 divided into 3 is roughly 4.7 units a sitting, quite a scary thought as millions of people across the country drink way over 14 units equivalent to 6 pints of lager, back in my drinking days this was a warm up..... and would do that Friday/Saturday and Sunday religiously, many people do it socially across the world and isn't seen as a stigma, which if people are sensible and in control why should it be a stigma?

However for us DVLA'ites 6 units in one sitting you are branded the devil and unfit for pretty much anything, again its a tail of you tell the truth they will reprimand you for it, you lie and get caught you get reprimanded for it!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off