Will anyone ever forget what i did in the past?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Macca

Hi everyone, I'm just needing some advice as i really don't know who to talk to.
5 years ago in April I was caught drink driving back home in Scotland. With a reading of 72, got a 18mth ban, £300 fine and no penalty points. Now, i'm in my final year at uni (4th year) at an English university,and it coming back to haunt me. I tried to change my life around and start a fresh by going to uni and work hard. I got picked for an interview but it's in the U.S which is an amazing opportunity at the end of this month and i'm worried i wouldn't be allowed in America. No-one at uni knows about my past and still want it to remain that way, especially the employers don't know either. I think i'm going have to tell them cos i will need to apply for a visa? Just feels i'll never get rid of this :( i've heard i'll have a criminal record for 5 years after conviction and it will be on my driving license for 11 years? I think this will go against me, i'm 25 now, i just really would like some advice...

Hi everyone, I'm just needing some advice as i really don't know who to talk to.
5 years ago in April I was caught drink driving back home in Scotland. With a reading of 72, got a 18mth ban, £300 fine and no penalty points. Now, i'm in my final year at uni (4th year) at an English university,and it coming back to haunt me. I tried to change my life around and start a fresh by going to uni and work hard. I got picked for an interview but it's in the U.S which is an amazing opportunity at the end of this month and i'm worried i wouldn't be allowed in America. No-one at uni knows about my past and still want it to remain that way, especially the employers don't know either. I think i'm going have to tell them cos i will need to apply for a visa? Just feels i'll never get rid of this :( i've heard i'll have a criminal record for 5 years after conviction and it will be on my driving license for 11 years? I think this will go against me, i'm 25 now, i just really would like some advice...

Hi Macca,

Welcome to the forums. You will have to apply for a visa and unfortunately The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S visa law, this means that you should declare all 'spent' and 'unspent' convictions upon application.

A single conviction of drink driving is not an automatic ineligibility to obtaining a U.S visa. Although, you will have to attend an interview and maybe a medical.

There is a good thread with lots of info about obtaining U.S visa's for people with drink driving and criminal convictions here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off