Why has a charge sheet been issued as opposed to a summons?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Izzy

My partner was stopped by police in December 2009, wasn't able to provide a breath test due to asthma, and was taken to a nearby police station to provide a blood sample. At the beginning of February 2010 he received a charge sheet, which doesn't show a reading for the blood sample, and instructs him to appear at the local magistrates court this week. The charge sheet states that there had been so much alcohol consumed that the driver was unfit to drive, but there is no reading stated.

My questions are:

Why was a charge sheet issued instead of a summons?
Why would there not be a reading stated on the charge sheet?

:confused:

I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me on these issues since my partner is up in court tomorrow and still hasn't arranged legal representation.

Hi Mike1960,

Personally I wouldn't have left it so late, I only became aware of the matter yesterday, it is my partner who has been caught and it was an eleventh hour revelation from him.

I can understand why you make your comment, believe me I have asked the same myself, in many different ways since finding out about it.

If anyone can offer any advice I would be grateful.

I don't know the answer to this, but is it possible that he has been charged with 'unfit to drive through drugs or alcohol' rather than 'exceeding the prescribed limit'?

I would recommend talking to a solicitor - even if he's due in court tomorrow he can chat with someone today - be it over the phone or in person. I don't know whether there is a compulsory ban or not ... but representation might be best to avoid it, if not.

I don't know the answer to this, but is it possible that he has been charged with 'unfit to drive through drugs or alcohol' rather than 'exceeding the prescribed limit'?

I would recommend talking to a solicitor - even if he's due in court tomorrow he can chat with someone today - be it over the phone or in person. I don't know whether there is a compulsory ban or not ... but representation might be best to avoid it, if not.

Thank you, this is all very hard for me to get my head around just at the minute, there's so little time to work in and I think I'm still in shock from learning about it so suddenly and so close to the time. Since I don't know the reading I cannot guess at the severity of the case. I am trying to get some sort of representation arranged and an appointment set up but my thoughts are that if it has warranted the issuing of a charge sheet and a court appearance then there is likely to be a ban on its way too. Just wish there was a bit more time to work with though.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off