when does my ban end

Convicted Driver Insurance

CarlaGB

Hi All,

i have been given a 12 month ban from 17th December 2020, i did the DD course and completed this in June. when will the courts let DVLA know i have completed the course. or do i call up the DVLA and inform them, i hear the courts are a bit slow at letting DVLA know.

does that mean i can then drive from 17th September 2021?

It does NOT mean that you can drive from 17th September…. Unless you have applied for your licence back before then and DVLA have issued your new licence.
Unless you failed to supply, You can apply for your licence back on or after 23rd July. Do not assume that DVLA will send you a renewal form, that can be hit and miss, so get a D1 form from the Post office and use that for your application.

i didn't send back my licence as my barrister told me not to bother. I can apply for my licence from 11th August if you apply the 56 days rule.

do you think it would be worth calling the DVLA before 11th August to check they have updated their system?

it is critical i get my licence back in September as my employer has told me that providing i do, i will keep my job. i work on a construction site from the end of September.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer me.

i didn't send back my licence as my barrister told me not to bother. I can apply for my licence from 11th August if you apply the 56 days rule.

do you think it would be worth calling the DVLA before 11th August to check they have updated their system?

it is critical i get my licence back in September as my employer has told me that providing i do, i will keep my job. i work on a construction site from the end of September.

Firstly I would go on the online licence checker and confirm that the DVLA have revived information re course completion and have reduced the ban .In my case they hadn’t so I had to chase up.

Firstly I would go on the online licence checker and confirm that the DVLA have revived information re course completion and have reduced the ban .In my case they hadn’t so I had to chase up.
Hi polly,

I have checked and it still has my original ban date 17th December.

😔

Hi polly,

😔
In my experience I'd take Price's advice and apply as soon as you are legitimately able, the DVLA has been a tad cr*p lately, multiple strikes etc, blaming COVID. If the ban end date is not updated soon in the portal call the course providers and let them know.

In my experience I'd take Price's advice and apply as soon as you are legitimately able, the DVLA has been a tad cr*p lately, multiple strikes etc, blaming COVID. If the ban end date is not updated soon in the portal call the course providers and let them know.
Thank you, I am going to apply in July I checked the 56 days and it is actually 23rd July not 11th August as I originally thought.

Hi polly,

😔

You need to chase this up with the court so they can provide the revised date to the DVLA after you gave them your completion certificate. If the system still says the 17th December your application will be rejected until 56 days before that date.

Agree With Grice, plus as a back up, send a copy of your course completion certificate with your application.

What are you going to do on a construction site? If it is a new site, where there are not any residents or companies open, they you can drive on the site without a licence. The key fact is: Does the public have access? If so, then it can be a public place. If it is wholly a construction site then no licence is required (subject, of course, to any licence needed to operate machinery like fork lifts etc)

Hi polly,

😔
It it important that you get this changed Carla. Contact the DVLA ASAP to check if they know you did the course . The fact the dates not changed suggests they don’t . You will then need to confirm with the course provider that they advised the Court that you’d completed the course . I’d ask them to confirm it again. Then contact the Court to ask if they advised the DVLA of your discounted date . If tou can’t get through to DVLA make the other calls and keep trying DVLA . Good luck

DVLA coming under scrutiny ..

I just want to say thank you everyone for your guidance, I chased the court and dvla and they have now updated my records.

I have a couple of further questions, 56 days is that from the new ban date of 17th September?

Also which are the best insurance companies I can go to at the end of August.

Thank you everyone.

Apply on 23rd July.
If you did a TTC course you would have been given details of an insurance company that offers decent rated for convicted drunk drivers.
Otherwise, use compare the market or similar to get quotes from multiple insurance companies

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off