When do you stop being classified as a HRO?

Convicted Driver Insurance

ffrnd

Hello

I was banned from driving and classified as a High Risk Offender.

I got my licence back last year, a one year medical one, which it what I expected. I have now had to reapply for my licence. I had anticipated a lengthy period off the road as at present the DVLA is taking up to 10 weeks just to upload your application onto their system and a decision can take six months.

I had assumed that as an HRO, S88 would not apply to me so I would have to stop driving when my licence expired and wait until a new one is (hopefully) issued.

However I spoke to the DVLA a couple of weeks ago and was told 'categorically' by the guy I spoke to that you cease to be classified as a HRO for licencing purposes once you get your licence back, even if it is a restricted medical one, and that under S88, I would be able to drive after my licence expires whilst medical enquiries are in progress.

I hope he was right, but I really don't want a Driving without licence conviction to go with my DR10. Has anybody else been in this situation and received similar advice from DVLA?

Many thanks.

Hello

I was banned from driving and classified as a High Risk Offender.

I got my licence back last year, a one year medical one, which it what I expected. I have now had to reapply for my licence. I had anticipated a lengthy period off the road as at present the DVLA is taking up to 10 weeks just to upload your application onto their system and a decision can take six months.

I had assumed that as an HRO, S88 would not apply to me so I would have to stop driving when my licence expired and wait until a new one is (hopefully) issued.

However I spoke to the DVLA a couple of weeks ago and was told 'categorically' by the guy I spoke to that you cease to be classified as a HRO for licencing purposes once you get your licence back, even if it is a restricted medical one, and that under S88, I would be able to drive after my licence expires whilst medical enquiries are in progress.

I hope he was right, but I really don't want a Driving without licence conviction to go with my DR10. Has anybody else been in this situation and received similar advice from DVLA?

Many thanks.

ffrnd

You are right about the Section 88 - as HRO's we can drive providing we have done a period back on the road (with a 12 month driving licence) after our respective bans and we have passed our first DVLA medical.

My understanding of the High Risk Offender process - it can last six years, whereby the DVLA can keep sending you for a medical every twelve months. You would have to be very unfortunate to have 6 x 12 month temporary licences and have to do a medical in between each one!!!!

The general theme is for a HRO with any declarable medical history to do 12 months initially on the road, then come the second medical you could potentially get a longer licence in your second year. It is almost like a 'probation' period. Everyone's circumstances are different and unique - the DVLA medical team judge each case individually, so you cannot make comparisons with other HROs.

CJ

ffrnd

You are right about the Section 88 - as HRO's we can drive providing we have done a period back on the road (with a 12 month driving licence) after our respective bans and we have passed our first DVLA medical.

My understanding of the High Risk Offender process - it can last six years, whereby the DVLA can keep sending you for a medical every twelve months. You would have to be very unfortunate to have 6 x 12 month temporary licences and have to do a medical in between each one!!!!

The general theme is for a HRO with any declarable medical history to do 12 months initially on the road, then come the second medical you could potentially get a longer licence in your second year. It is almost like a 'probation' period. Everyone's circumstances are different and unique - the DVLA medical team judge each case individually, so you cannot make comparisons with other HROs.

CJ

Thank you CJ, that is reassuring.

My understanding of the process - that after the first year, if you pass the second medical and there are no other concerns the DVLA have, then you might get a longer licence - is the same as yours.

Thank you CJ, that is reassuring.

My understanding of the process - that after the first year, if you pass the second medical and there are no other concerns the DVLA have, then you might get a longer licence - is the same as yours.

ffrnd

I am still in the first year of driving post my ban. My current 12 month licence expires next January. I was put into the category of alcohol 'misuser' rather than 'dependant', so I might be potentially looking at another 12 month licence, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I might get awarded a three year licence next time. The DVLA decision making process is difficult to predict.

Given the six year rule for HRO's, if I do get awarded a three year licence next time around, I will only have to do a third and final medical sometime around 2024. I think I can live with that.

CJ

ffrnd

I am still in the first year of driving post my ban. My current 12 month licence expires next January. I was put into the category of alcohol 'misuser' rather than 'dependant', so I might be potentially looking at another 12 month licence, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I might get awarded a three year licence next time. The DVLA decision making process is difficult to predict.

Given the six year rule for HRO's, if I do get awarded a three year licence next time around, I will only have to do a third and final medical sometime around 2024. I think I can live with that.

CJ
C J, I wish you luck! Nobody told me what category I'm in so I don't know whether I have a chance of getting a 3 year licence too. The prospect of doing this for another 4 years doesn't fill me with joy but whatever... they make the rules. At lease I have had no further issues with alcohol so I should get a licence of some duration. That's the most important thing.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off