What to do to pass the DVLA medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I am coming to the end of my 12mth ban - 3mth for course= 9mth
Started 18th Jan, so 18th Oct, right? I live in Northern Ireland does anyone know how long it takes to get an appointment to do the Medical?

hi guys, comin to an end of a 2 year ban for a failure to produce, got the medical comin up soon. was wondering if any of you had any idea what the medical tests for, for example does its test for recreational drugs such as cannabis?

I get my licence back on 9th December, but as my reading was 116 i have to take this medical.

The information on what to do to ensure you pass is ridiculously vague and practically non existent. I've read a couple of things that suggest you don't drink for 2 months prior to taking the test????

I have been in touch with a friend who works in medicine, and he said this:

No, you do not have to abstain for 8 weeks. Alcohol is absorbed/metabolized pretty much the same for everyone (without Liver disease). It depends on how much you drink, body weight and so forth.
That being said when you have your blood drawn and they check your Liver enzymes, your AST or SGPT will/can rise from alcohol. Your ALT/SGOT is not indicative of alcohol. Other drugs can affect your liver enzymes; Tylenol, NSAIDS,...Exercise, strenuous can also increase liver enzymes from muscle.
You probably just need to abstain from alcohol for a few days before having your blood drawn.

Can anyone here confirm or deny what my friend has said? most people i've spoken to and told them about this 2 months non drinking idea seem pretty shocked that that would be the case.

So can anyone shed any light on just how careful i need to be about this test?

hi I know exactly how to pass a dvla medical re drink drive!
I had the medical on the tuesday! Had a drink every day, apart from the monday! I am drinkinking 14% red wine!
Pretty much 2 bottles everyday! PASSED!
GOT MY LICENCE BACK!
nothing to do with abstinence, but more like your liver function!

Congratulations nj1606....Good news....!

But exactly what are your drinking habits, and for how long? What I mean is, I'm sure that people who drink 2 bottles of 14% wine each day are not gong to pass a medical for liver functionality. Unles you mean you had a couple of 'benders' recently, which would not impact on overall liver functionality.

Hello.right I just got my 3rd ban in ten years the first two where 9 years ago when I was yong and very stupid . Three weeks ago I was arested for being drunk in charge . I was arested for sleeping in my car as I don't d and d no more . When I got to the police station I refused a sample cos I thort I was in the right as I had no intention of driving . I went to court and thay give me 120 hours c.s and a 2 month ban wich was not that bad realy . But I have to have a medical to get my license back which is in two months I drink one or to a day and maybe 10 over weekend if I stop drinking now will I pass as I realy don't whant to loose my licence for a year for sleeping In my car. don't realy no what I can do . Thanks tom .

I have just been for medical for drink driving
For 2 year he asked me a Liz of questions
He asked me I I went to alcoholics anonymous I as I yes which I do an haven't had a drink for a year and a half would that make me fail my medical an lose my licennce really worried thank you

Hi I went for medical for drink driving

Went for medical for drink driving he asked when was my last drink which was a year and a half ago he asked if I went toalcholics anyoomos is said yes does that go bad for u would I fail my medical because that thank you

I have my medical in a few weeks, I have not had any alcohol for nearly 6 months! I do smoke cigarettes (Not a heavy smoker), I am worried on the medical form it asks for have been to see a GP in the last 3 years for alcohol related, I did go because of it and depression, I mentioned to the doctor I will have a DVLA medical in a couple of years. I am thinking if i just tick 'No' and I should get my licence back without any fuss? anyone can advise?

You may well be OK, but It depends what you call a “good drink” and what your usual drinking habits were before then.....

I didnt drink for months untill i i went on holiday for my bday end of november and upto the 4th pf december i drank a fair bit but not since the 4th ive jad my medical on 7th jan

I get my licence back on 9th December, but as my reading was 116 i have to take this medical.

The information on what to do to ensure you pass is ridiculously vague and practically non existent. I've read a couple of things that suggest you don't drink for 2 months prior to taking the test????

I have been in touch with a friend who works in medicine, and he said this:

No, you do not have to abstain for 8 weeks. Alcohol is absorbed/metabolized pretty much the same for everyone (without Liver disease). It depends on how much you drink, body weight and so forth.
That being said when you have your blood drawn and they check your Liver enzymes, your AST or SGPT will/can rise from alcohol. Your ALT/SGOT is not indicative of alcohol. Other drugs can affect your liver enzymes; Tylenol, NSAIDS,...Exercise, strenuous can also increase liver enzymes from muscle.
You probably just need to abstain from alcohol for a few days before having your blood drawn.

Can anyone here confirm or deny what my friend has said? most people i've spoken to and told them about this 2 months non drinking idea seem pretty shocked that that would be the case.

So can anyone shed any light on just how careful i need to be about this test?

Can you point out to your friend and point out that “Your ALT/SGOT is not indicative of alcohol. ” is not relevant as the test, for the past several years now, has been for CDT, which is MUCH more indicative of alcohol consumption in the past few weeks.
It is not necessary to abstain from drinking alcohol, but wise to limit it to sensible amounts. For some people, a couple of drinks almost inevitably leads to many more, which is why for them, abstaining could be the best way to deal with the approaching the DVLA test

Just out of curiousity, why is it that the DVLA dont use the "hair strand test" for alcohol use? I heard that they can trace alcohol consumption for up to six months whereas the blood test detects it for 30 days.
After a convo with my son we kind of thought maybe it was because it was more expensive and perhaps could yield inconclusive results due to hair products used like sprays/gels/colours

Hi, I have my HRO medical tomorrow and I'm after some advice regarding answers to the medical questionnaire regarding drinking habbits. I haven't drank for two months so the CDT is not a problem I expect but what is the best way to answers the questions regarding this.
Do I just say I'm now a non drinker to all the questions or say I drink 4 to 6 units once a week ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, I have my HRO medical tomorrow and I'm after some advice regarding answers to the medical questionnaire regarding drinking habbits. I haven't drank for two months so the CDT is not a problem I expect but what is the best way to answers the questions regarding this.
Do I just say I'm now a non drinker to all the questions or say I drink 4 to 6 units once a week ? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Just be honest and take in what is being asked, it is not a problem, they only want to know your drinking habits, tell them what they need to know, if you need to lie slightly then do it. The problem you now have is insurance, go on go compare site to find rates of insurance, put in other drivers like your mam and dad as additional drivers, it may take down the price, I have no parents so could not do this..

Just out of curiousity, why is it that the DVLA dont use the "hair strand test" for alcohol use? I heard that they can trace alcohol consumption for up to six months whereas the blood test detects it for 30 days.
After a convo with my son we kind of thought maybe it was because it was more expensive and perhaps could yield inconclusive results due to hair products used like sprays/gels/colours
You must be careful with hair strand dna counts, if you've been naughty the test may flag up more than you want??????

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off