What have you learnt?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I’m approaching my court date, and I am beyond terrified of managing life after ban and struggling pretty hard mental health wise - but I’m trying start thinking in a different way, as incredibly hard as it is.

I’m just wondering what others convicted of drunk driving have learned about themselves from this? What are you grateful for? How has it changed you as a person? Have you found any unexpected positives during the punishment that you didn’t expect?

Thank you 🙏
You will get through it don’t worry about it and after the court case is over keep busy and the time goes quicker than you think 👍🏻

I’ve learned a lot since the ban.

Firstly, like many, that I had issues to sort. That alcohol was becoming a problem in my life. But moreover that it had - slowly, but quite insidiously - taken over both my social and family life. Learning to fix that wasn’t easy, but after so long dry now I certainly wouldn’t go back.

Secondly, that this is no laughing matter. Being on the wrong side of the law does you absolutely no favours at all. Be that for travel, applications for certain things, the social stigma aspect, or the hope you’ll be treated like a normal, law abiding citizen again in certain situations. You won’t be.

Thirdly, and as a general point and not across the board, never to trust GPs again. Nor the DVLA. Nor the government. Again not all, but many, have shown themselves up during my experiences to be little short of self-serving liars. All of whom happy to pass the buck. I’ve become a lot more cynical of everything since my own ban, and now I’ve seen how difficult life can become from the opposite side of society. Thankfully I pulled it back around, but no thanks to any of the parties mentioned above.

But it terms of what I learned, it is not least what a good community exists here, and how we are all not the scum society portrays us as. So many of us were going through a rough time that we just made a grave error of judgement. Which we’re all paying for one way or another. My sanity and calm throughout my experiences is so much down to knowing that I wasn’t alone.

Positives, you get a lot fitter having to walk to shop rather than just nipping out in car.
Positive you don't need a drink to have a good time and can cut down and you feel a lot better, sleep better, skin is better.
Positive, not that I'm counting but 476 days without a drink so save loads of money!!!!
Negative I eat more chocolate since I stopped drinking!!! 🤣
Totally relate to the last point, I never had a sweet tooth until I quit drinking. Like a woman possessed now! 😁

I’m approaching my court date, and I am beyond terrified of managing life after ban and struggling pretty hard mental health wise - but I’m trying start thinking in a different way, as incredibly hard as it is.

I’m just wondering what others convicted of drunk driving have learned about themselves from this? What are you grateful for? How has it changed you as a person? Have you found any unexpected positives during the punishment that you didn’t expect?

Thank you 🙏
Hi !! I feel you have to plan more. I live in the middle of nowhere and transport is very poor. I walk the 3 miles to the shop,which is lovely then get a cab back with my shopping. My son gets a taxi to school which is provided by the council as he's school is miles away. I get a lift to work and back by someone that works at my work place. And is also a very good friend. I don't drink in the week at all just weekends maybe.i feel better in myself.ive booked the course and start my first online course on the 28th. I got a 18 month ban and a fine. Honestly you will be ok you will learn to adapt. This forum has been a god send. We all make mistakes. But we move forward. Good luck x

Thank you 🙏
Hi lovely,
The way you are feeling right now was me a year ago today! It was the worst time of my life to a point I could NOT drag myself to get out of bed, everything felt like a chore and I was just constantly hating myself as obviously there was no one to blame but me.Its really nice to know you are approaching this in a different way,MINDSET is KEY and its the way forward! You keeping positive and understanding that 'it is what it is' and its happened will help you see things in a different light too.

I can promise you once your court is over with,things will get easier.Just the stress of court makes things much MORE worrying but just remember 'it is what it is' its happened and now you move forward and take whatever comes your way and work around it.Also remind yourself its all 'temporary' yes you will be banned but its 'temporary' and this too shall pass.

Next year or maybe even in a few months time you will read back at your posts and think 'wow I have got through it'

ANYWAYS
I am grateful for being given another chance. I am grateful only because it could of been worse and I could of harmed myself and someone else. Gosh my car was a WRITE OFF, but I did not come out with a scratch. It was also on the moors, imagine I hit into someone?
Its changed me as a person to put myself first, whilst being on a ban them same people I would pick and drop them off yet they haven't even bothered with me,even though I ghosted for a year,only told the people that needed to know all these other people never checked in when I stopped posting my car why?? because IT WAS MY CAR they wanted. Being young with a license im glad I know this now its MYSELF before anyone else.
Iv realized having a license is a privilege and no matter what you have in life its things like a license money cant buy,so to appreciate everything.

Honestly I could go on, Love a good rant me! but please dont beat yourself up, forgive yourself and move forward. xx

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off