Was banned for 12 months but offered a 12 month reduction if I complete a drink driving course

Convicted Driver Insurance

Razer13

Hi all,

I posted last back in July about driving whilst over the limit and was after advice etc, I thought I'd give a semi-update but also ask for experiences similar.

After having my court date in December (blood did indeed come back over at 101, the limit being 80) I was banned for 12 months, ordered to pay £700 in fines/fees and offered a drink drive rehabilitation course.

When I received the letter in the post from court, it stated that if I complete the drink drive rehabilitation course by July my ban will be reduced by 12 months. I thought this was a mistake and so I sought legal advice from the duty solicitor who previously represented me in the police station when I voluntarily went in for an interview shortly after the incident. He stated that it appears that this offer has been made as a result of my mitigation to the court.

As a result of this (I was going to take the course regardless), I booked onto a 1 day-over 3 weekend course and I am scheduled to complete that in the coming weeks.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

Can't help but feel I have been extremely lucky.

Hi all,

I posted last back in July about driving whilst over the limit and was after advice etc, I thought I'd give a semi-update but also ask for experiences similar.

After having my court date in December (blood did indeed come back over at 101, the limit being 80) I was banned for 12 months, ordered to pay £700 in fines/fees and offered a drink drive rehabilitation course.

When I received the letter in the post from court, it stated that if I complete the drink drive rehabilitation course by July my ban will be reduced by 12 months. I thought this was a mistake and so I sought legal advice from the duty solicitor who previously represented me in the police station when I voluntarily went in for an interview shortly after the incident. He stated that it appears that this offer has been made as a result of my mitigation to the court.

As a result of this (I was going to take the course regardless), I booked onto a 1 day-over 3 weekend course and I am scheduled to complete that in the coming weeks.

No they will not make an offer to wipe your ban completely for taking the course or for any mitigation.

I'm not sure if you have misread or it has been written in error, but by doing the course you can reduce your ban by up to 25%. Generally this is 1 week per month of the ban, therefore a ban of 12 months could see it reduced by 12 weeks (or sometimes 3 months)

I think something got lost in translation, I've never heard of removing the entire ban if you complete the DD course - usually 25% 'discount'

Hi all,

Unfortunately mate a formatting mistake has been made there. The DD awareness course can only remove up to 25% of your ban. With my 12 month ban it was reduced by 12 weeks, I believe when inputting that for your letter admin has made an error. There's no way to mitigate away a ban, when you complete the course and provide the discount certificate the DVLA apply it to your driving record and only reduce it by the amount provided by the course which is up to 25%.

Hi all,

Do you have to apply for your license first then then medical if anyone knows please lmk

Do you have to apply for your license first then then medical if anyone knows please lmk
Yes, you need to apply for your licence before the DVLA will send you for a medical. There is no point sending you for one if you are not trying to have your licence returned.

Hi,

That's a new one, if only that could be possible for certain cases.

Definitely a error.

Kind regards,

Stu

Hi all,

Most likely an error here I am afraid. Ban will definitely be reduced a couple of weeks / months if you take up the rehab training offer . Good luck as others suggested.

Hi all,

Anymore news on this case ?? X

Hi all,

how many months before you got your results mate did you get them first and then get a summons?

Hi all,

It will be a mistake in court admin . Mine said the same . I’d advise you to contact court admin asap and get it rectified as it will be discovered and will cause delays . The solicitor is quite deluded if he really believes that to be true . Sorry to be negative / realistic .

Unfortunately mate a formatting mistake has been made there. The DD awareness course can only remove up to 25% of your ban. With my 12 month ban it was reduced by 12 weeks, I believe when inputting that for your letter admin has made an error. There's no way to mitigate away a ban, when you complete the course and provide the discount certificate the DVLA apply it to your driving record and only reduce it by the amount provided by the course which is up to 25%.
Absolutely. Typo . Same happened to me .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off