Visit to the GP

Convicted Driver Insurance
Well getting everything started so I don't have too much issues in 2025 when trying to get my license back
Visited me doctor , first time since 2016 to register my last drinking day, 17th of December 2022 (day I was arrested).
Lets just say it didn't go to well and has made me more worried about being a HRO. All started off well , 1 hour wait to see the doctor but got a fist pump off him to congratulate me about stopping drinking which was nice .
The doctor then starts discussing detoxing with me and possibly rehab..... while making notes on his computer , I just said all I wanted was to get an LFT done and a few a year if possible as I explained about the DVLA and what I/we will probably have to do to get my licence back........
It then dawned on me what he may have put in my notes....... he said "Alcohol problem" ...... turned out he hadn't understood what I had said , small language barrier problem, had to explain that I didn't need detoxing or rehab as at the time I was 93 days drink free and had no issues with dependency in my life.... yes I liked a drink but as the 93 days have proved I'm not dependant. (I want to point out in 2016 when visiting the doctor last my lovely wife said that sometimes I may drink abit too much , so in my records it mentions that I may want to see someone about it... cheers wife!!)
Doctor then gives me a blood pressure test , it was very high (shock) so now i have to go back next week to see the nurse and have a ECG
Speaking to the receptionist complaining I only come in to sort out a blood test and now I'm near death and an alcoholic she mentions to explain it to the nurse on next appointment and she will amend my notes for me as she will understand better........ 😤
I suppose it is better I have registered my last drink but certainly more stressful......
I did joke with the doctor about a vasectomy .... bet I get a letter about that soon as well !!

Well getting everything started so I don't have too much issues in 2025 when trying to get my license back
Visited me doctor , first time since 2016 to register my last drinking day, 17th of December 2022 (day I was arrested).
Lets just say it didn't go to well and has made me more worried about being a HRO. All started off well , 1 hour wait to see the doctor but got a fist pump off him to congratulate me about stopping drinking which was nice .
The doctor then starts discussing detoxing with me and possibly rehab..... while making notes on his computer , I just said all I wanted was to get an LFT done and a few a year if possible as I explained about the DVLA and what I/we will probably have to do to get my licence back........
It then dawned on me what he may have put in my notes....... he said "Alcohol problem" ...... turned out he hadn't understood what I had said , small language barrier problem, had to explain that I didn't need detoxing or rehab as at the time I was 93 days drink free and had no issues with dependency in my life.... yes I liked a drink but as the 93 days have proved I'm not dependant. (I want to point out in 2016 when visiting the doctor last my lovely wife said that sometimes I may drink abit too much , so in my records it mentions that I may want to see someone about it... cheers wife!!)
Doctor then gives me a blood pressure test , it was very high (shock) so now i have to go back next week to see the nurse and have a ECG
Speaking to the receptionist complaining I only come in to sort out a blood test and now I'm near death and an alcoholic she mentions to explain it to the nurse on next appointment and she will amend my notes for me as she will understand better........ 😤
I suppose it is better I have registered my last drink but certainly more stressful......
I did joke with the doctor about a vasectomy .... bet I get a letter about that soon
I did joke with the doctor about a vasectomy .... bet I get a letter about that soon as well !!
Nice to see that you are preparing well for the dreaded Dvla medical, having LFTs and updating your medical notes are crucial medical evidence in securing your temporary one year licence (medical review licence) and proves to Dvla that your alcohol issues are being addressed, when you do eventually get to the medical if you can take a photo of all your paperwork as you will probably be repeating it the following year, do be honest with the questions and make sure what your ticking tally’s with your Gp notes, a great effort so far though 👍

In hindsight as you’d not seen the doctor since 2016, it would have been in you’re best interest to not contact your doctor and waited until the relevant paperwork from the DVLA had been received and therefore no notes regarding ‘alcohol’ on your medical records.
I fear that you’ve created a problem that wasn’t in reality there.
Best of luck for the future

In hindsight as you’d not seen the doctor since 2016, it would have been in you’re best interest to not contact your doctor and waited until the relevant paperwork from the DVLA had been received and therefore no notes regarding ‘alcohol’ on your medical records.
I fear that you’ve created a problem that wasn’t in reality there.
Best of luck for the future
I did think that before going but my thoughts were if I had no records at all from 2016 then there was a massive black hole in my records that could have caused the DVLA to flag something up , at least now I have a record of when I became a non-drinker and not an occasional drinker which I was.

Thanks for your feed back

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off