Very worried

Convicted Driver Insurance

kimbo

Hi, I`ve had two one year driving licences issued to me as a high risk offender DD. My second one ran out in March 2019 and I reapplied for another, they wrote to my doctor.
On Easter Sunday 21st, I had 4 cans of Larger 3.8% and the same on the Monday a total of 13.6 units over the two days.
To my horror on Wednesday the 24 of April I received a letter from the DVLA dated the 17 April, saying that they have decided that I should have a full medical and attend the examination within six weeks from the date on the letter (17 April) So i`ve got until the 29th of May to attend the examination.
I have not made the appointment yet, trying to put it off as long as possible. I`m thinking that if I phone to make the appointment on the 8th of May or (half way through the six weeks)or even a bit later, that gives them two-three weeks left for an appointment. I don`t want to put it off to long because they might not be able to give me an appointment.
It says in the letter "If you do not make or keep your appointment, your driving entitlement will be revoked or your application will be refused"
I will not have drank any alcohol since the 22 April so if I can get an appointment towards the end of May 20 that will be four week since last drink.
Just to add that I was drinking about 5-7 units a week previous to that. What do you think my chances of loosing my licence are?
Sorry for the long post, i`m so worried I can`t sleep since I got this letter, as my elderly mother relies on me to drive her.

Thanks for reading
Kim

Kim,
I would not worry about the medical from what you have quoted. It is not necessary to abstain completely, drinking up to 14 units per week is fine, even up to the week of the medical. The only reason that abstinence is recommended is where people know that if they have a couple of drinks then it inevitably leads to more - in which case none is best.......

Kim,
I would not worry about the medical from what you have quoted. It is not necessary to abstain completely, drinking up to 14 units per week is fine, even up to the week of the medical. The only reason that abstinence is recommended is where people know that if they have a couple of drinks then it inevitably leads to more - in which case none is best.......
Thanks for putting my mind at ease a little price1367, I just hope and pray I don`t fail it.
I`ll take the plunge and phone them on the 1st of may and make the appointment, that`s one week after I received their letter dated the 17th and two weeks into the six week time limit.
Kim

If you drink moderately then you can book your test whenever you want.

The CDT test, bluntly, was developed to help hospitals and clinicians recognise alcoholics. If you don't drink excessively every week, then your CDT will be perfectly normal. The pass mark is not being teetotal, because you do not need to be teetotal to have a driving licence.

Totally over thinking it your not expected to stay sober for the rest of your life! Book the medical late may and it will be fine!

Update
My application for a driving license has been refused.
The letter says,
Information provided to DVLA indicates you have a history of alcohol dependence and you failed to meet the current medical standard. To meet the standard you must not consume any alcohol.
We will be able to consider an application from you when you can provide medical evidence that you have not had any alcohol for 1 year and you maintain abstinence. Where appropriate your blood results have returned to normal.
I did a subject access request to obtain my CDT results which showed a CDT level of 0.6
So it looks like I have to remain tee total and not consume any alcohol if I want to drive again.
I`m guessing that if I had not told the doctor at the medical that I drank around four cans a week I would have passed with a CDT score of 0.6.
Now I have to go through all this again.

Yes and what you need to do now is to arrange liver function tests with your GP over the course of the year to satisfy DVLA , this will be regarded as your medical evidence, I went through the exact same process last year...

Update
My application for a driving license has been refused.
The letter says,
Information provided to DVLA indicates you have a history of alcohol dependence and you failed to meet the current medical standard. To meet the standard you must not consume any alcohol.
We will be able to consider an application from you when you can provide medical evidence that you have not had any alcohol for 1 year and you maintain abstinence. Where appropriate your blood results have returned to normal.
I did a subject access request to obtain my CDT results which showed a CDT level of 0.6
So it looks like I have to remain tee total and not consume any alcohol if I want to drive again.
I`m guessing that if I had not told the doctor at the medical that I drank around four cans a week I would have passed with a CDT score of 0.6.
Now I have to go through all this again.
Can I ask kimbo was this your first attempt at getting your licence back or were you already running on a temporary licence attending another medical ?

Can I ask kimbo was this your first attempt at getting your licence back or were you already running on a temporary licence attending another medical ?
I was on my second one year license and was asked to attend a medical to get a third one.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off