Uocoming medical, urine test. Advice please.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rickyssound

Hi all,
I have received my letter to book and complete a medical in 12weeks. I have booked the medical. It also states its for a urine test and says I will be asked to remove clothes and watched?

I have a few question and problems,
This Drs is a 100 mile round trip so I complained saying I have some health problems and im trying to isolate until I can have a operation and this is a unreasonable expectation. I asked if they could find somewhere close in my complaint and to notify me by mail if they change it.

Drs been fine and booked me in real late but it aint the point this is 16hours of buses, coachs and trains. Is there any chance of getting this changed as its my main worry?

Can anyone explain to me the hole procedure to watching you and asking you to remove clothes. Why would I need to remove clothes for a urine test? and what clothes will I be require to remove and to what level of watching is allowed?

I can be asked to do it again if anythings wrong and thats fine but I do have some health problem that causes me problems with urinating and some one watching me on top will make me shakey for sure amd Im already down on Drs and anxious and depressed too.

Also what are they looking for in my urine? Im not dependent on anything but do smoke on odd weekends. They say anything shows up thats not prescribe, I will be suspended.
Is there not a limit to what amount if cannabis can be in your system?

I feel asif I have nothing to worry about except a trace of anything and I will be suspended, I dont drink and smoke say twice a month and none of thats on my drs records as I have them here. It does show my health problems amd anxiety, depression and mental health but doesnt go into much detail so cant see what they have seen in my medical to ask for urine over say bloods for example.

Urine is best option for me as I recently refused bloods by police for cannabis due to covid and my health problems, so this has all come from me refusing to provide a blood test last year which im also fighting in court.

Makes me question why they have gone for urine over bloods as I would refuse the bloods again and probs lose my licence but im happy to do urine as thats no needles ect. Im just thinking why have they gone for urine over bloods when they have asked others for blood and for alcahol they can still have some in there system and pass unless they are deemed dependent so dont see how they are telling me if anything shows thats not prescribed then I will be suspended? I got a feeling there looking for something else in the urine.

Has any of you actually done this and can tell me what to expect as ive never done a medical or urine test for medical before.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Ricky,

Welcome to the forum. The removal of clothes is to check your body for track marks, if you aren't an IV drug user this is not going to be an issue. Unfortunately on the travel front, doctor's appointments are considered to be essential travel so i don't see there being a lot of movement there. The DVLA are a law upon themselves and 12 weeks means it must be booked in and completed in that time frame or you will be revoken until you are able to complete a test.

All you can do is phone the DVLA medical section and request to speak to a manager who may be able to help you, if you have officially been told to shield by your GP for your operation then they will have to accomodate you in some manner. Watching is exactly what you think it is, they observe you producing the sample. Doctors are trained medical professionals and this would not fall into the category of a breach of privacy due to a Doctor's standing.

Also your own question has been answered, you refused a blood test for cannabis so the police have reported you to the DVLA as a possible drug user. They will be checking for anything you are not prescribed, the UK limit for cannabis is so low that pretty much anything in a 10-45 day period before the test will put you over. 30 days off the smoke is the general rule of thumb. I've been round the bend with trying to cheat drug tests, work ones are cheap dip tests and can be fiddled a bit but labs are not. DVLA samples are lab anaysed.

Finally regardless of what your solicitor has told you, the refusal of a blood sample that you're fighting in court is more than likely a losing fight. Please read some past posts on the forum in regards to the amount of money users have wasted fighting refusals in court, if your confident that your medical history exempts you from a blood test then press on but if not then i would reconsider your position. Covid is not a valid reason for refusal.

I have this yearly now. And guess what I was pissing dirty at 6 months still with weed . Was just luck the day I had my test at nearly 7 months I was clean. Dvla test as low as 15ng. I was pissing dirty right up to 6 months but I was a chronic user. Saved by the skin of my teeth couldn’t believe it. I suggest buying tests with 15ng cut off or if u can’t find them go for the 20ng tests. I produced a diluted one to begin with as I needed more time to shed the last of it then just took the chance on the second one knowing I can’t produce a diluted one again an thankfully I was clean. 6 months tho!!!!! Everything says it’s 30 days an your clean is absolutely bull. If u smoke a quarter a week like I was then ur not getting clean in 30 days. Since cannabis lasts longer in urine than blood that would be the case for changing from blood test to urine.

I have this yearly now. And guess what I was pissing dirty at 6 months still with weed . Was just luck the day I had my test at nearly 7 months I was clean. Dvla test as low as 15ng. I was pissing dirty right up to 6 months but I was a chronic user. Saved by the skin of my teeth couldn’t believe it. I suggest buying tests with 15ng cut off or if u can’t find them go for the 20ng tests. I produced a diluted one to begin with as I needed more time to shed the last of it then just took the chance on the second one knowing I can’t produce a diluted one again an thankfully I was clean. 6 months tho!!!!! Everything says it’s 30 days an your clean is absolutely bull. If u smoke a quarter a week like I was then ur not getting clean in 30 days. Since cannabis lasts longer in urine than blood that would be the case for changing from blood test to urine.

Im just in a dilema now as ive booked my medical and im in court and my insurance is up so im thinking just come off the rd until my trials over. They targeted me for my previous and had no reason to even stop me except I looked at them and thats what there saying on there statements too.

Im try argue with my current health and covid I was genuinely scared about risk of contracting the virus. If I miraculously win I will rebook my medical.

Yes in jail its 28 days and Ive failed after and its the same with the blood test. You can of smoked a month ago or had bypass and totaly fail rd side and bloods its a joke if a law and I wont re apply for my licence again until its fixed.

I smoked half a joint and 2 weeks after I failed all and pleaded guilty and got 20 month ban for 1st offence. This time ive refused and have medical problems and was due a operation and told to go A&E but didnt as im so worried about this virus. My first time refusing.

I could rebook and pass the medical but thats 100 mile round trip and my healths terrible and again im genuinely worried about contracting covid so im tap out aha.

Appreciate the replies.

My time frame was more for the use that OP described, smoking an odd weekend would mean two smoke sessions a month. For me smoking around 8-10g a week it was a similar time frame for me for a sensitive urine test. However the cheap ones they used at my place of work had me clear after about 45 days.

OP I would recommend that if your use is not in fact an odd weekend like you've said in the post then follow cleanguys advice here.

Im just in a dilema now as ive booked my medical and im in court and my insurance is up so im thinking just come off the rd until my trials over. They targeted me for my previous and had no reason to even stop me except I looked at them and thats what there saying on there statements too.

Im try argue with my current health and covid I was genuinely scared about risk of contracting the virus. If I miraculously win I will rebook my medical.

Yes in jail its 28 days and Ive failed after and its the same with the blood test. You can of smoked a month ago or had bypass and totaly fail rd side and bloods its a joke if a law and I wont re apply for my licence again until its fixed.

I smoked half a joint and 2 weeks after I failed all and pleaded guilty and got 20 month ban for 1st offence. This time ive refused and have medical problems and was due a operation and told to go A&E but didnt as im so worried about this virus. My first time refusing.

I could rebook and pass the medical but thats 100 mile round trip and my healths terrible and again im genuinely worried about contracting covid so im tap out aha.

Appreciate the replies.

Just to reiterate, fear of Coronavirus is not a valid reason for refusing a test. It can be argued that if you had have been ordered to shield by your GP then you shouldn't have been out in the car in the first place. If it was a valid reason this would open the flood gates for everyone who has refused a test since last March. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but even those who are high risk are still expected to conform to the Law.

Perhaps @price1367 might be able to go a bit further explaining that than I can, he has a lot more experience on the procedural side of things.

Hi all,
I have received my letter to book and complete a medical in 12weeks. I have booked the medical. It also states its for a urine test and says I will be asked to remove clothes and watched?

I have a few question and problems,
This Drs is a 100 mile round trip so I complained saying I have some health problems and im trying to isolate until I can have a operation and this is a unreasonable expectation. I asked if they could find somewhere close in my complaint and to notify me by mail if they change it.

Drs been fine and booked me in real late but it aint the point this is 16hours of buses, coachs and trains. Is there any chance of getting this changed as its my main worry?

Can anyone explain to me the hole procedure to watching you and asking you to remove clothes. Why would I need to remove clothes for a urine test? and what clothes will I be require to remove and to what level of watching is allowed?

I can be asked to do it again if anythings wrong and thats fine but I do have some health problem that causes me problems with urinating and some one watching me on top will make me shakey for sure amd Im already down on Drs and anxious and depressed too.

Also what are they looking for in my urine? Im not dependent on anything but do smoke on odd weekends. They say anything shows up thats not prescribe, I will be suspended.
Is there not a limit to what amount if cannabis can be in your system?

I feel asif I have nothing to worry about except a trace of anything and I will be suspended, I dont drink and smoke say twice a month and none of thats on my drs records as I have them here. It does show my health problems amd anxiety, depression and mental health but doesnt go into much detail so cant see what they have seen in my medical to ask for urine over say bloods for example.

Urine is best option for me as I recently refused bloods by police for cannabis due to covid and my health problems, so this has all come from me refusing to provide a blood test last year which im also fighting in court.

Makes me question why they have gone for urine over bloods as I would refuse the bloods again and probs lose my licence but im happy to do urine as thats no needles ect. Im just thinking why have they gone for urine over bloods when they have asked others for blood and for alcahol they can still have some in there system and pass unless they are deemed dependent so dont see how they are telling me if anything shows thats not prescribed then I will be suspended? I got a feeling there looking for something else in the urine.

Has any of you actually done this and can tell me what to expect as ive never done a medical or urine test for medical before.

Many thanks in advance.
With me I was stripped down to naked so they can check for fake urine ect and also to check if you have any needle marks in what you try to hide. I don’t smoke nor do I inject anything but it’s protocol.
they wanted me to do a urine test as it shows if you’ve used weeks/months prior as with blood tests it doesn’tstay there long enough.
I had been using cannabis from the age of 15 and had to just quit cold turkey just in time I might add as it took 6 months to pee clean. Since passing that medical I haven’t smoked since an I never plan to go back to it. It’s not worth it and the hassle.
1 or 2 options in my mind is do the test and hope to be clean if not take the revoke for 6 months or refuse the test till you are ready but again I think that results in an automatic revoke regardless. Depending on your circumstances if it’s a renewal or a reapply. Remember they’ve heard it all... If it wasn’t for being over Christmas and the back log in the dvla I would of had it sooner but by chance from the letter to inviting me to a medical and actually getting a date for the medical took 7 months I’d of failed. Luck was really on my side. Now my next medical is near an took literally a week from the letter to book in (very fast) compared to my first that took 7 months to book.

level of cannabis reduce by half every week in the system so if ur at 1000 then week later it will be 500 then 250 an so on. It’s not unusual to have a test one week an it be negative then the next will be positive, this is based on your body’s ability to shed the chemical so some weeks you’ll be higher than the last week again like the figure I explain 1000-500-250 then a spike 300-150-75 spike 100-50-25-12-6 spike

Last edited:
Rickyssound,
You have had good advice about the medical and a urine sample.
I am not sure about what you are saying about another case that is coming up.......
I read it as this: You were stopped for no apparent reason, other than looking at an officer, arrested on suspicion of drug driving and refused to give a blood sample ‘because of fear about Covid and “medical problems”.’ You have been charged with failing to provide and are awaiting trial.
If that is correct, here are my observations.
You would not be offered a urine test in those circumstances. For drug driving, the only police power is to require a blood sample.
The police do not have to have a reason for stopping any driver. They can stop any vehicle at any time to see if they and their vehicle are legal. Having stopped you, then can then form the opinion that you have drugs in your system and require a sample.
Fear of Covid is a non starter as a defence. It would be taken by a medical professional, suitably protected. You and not that you are undergoing medical treatment and the risk in providing a blood sample to the police doctor would be no more risky due to Covid than any other medical procedure.
Your medical problems could be a defence, depending on what they are. Would they prevent you having a needle put in your are or could it make your problem worse? If so, then you may have a defence to failing to provide “without reasonable excuse.”
BUT I would have expected you to have told the police about this at the time. They do ask if there are any reasons why you cannot provide a sample.
From what you have quoted, you appear to have no defence, unless the medical reasons are compelling, and you would be better off pleading guilty. A guilty plea has prosecution costs of £85 and 1/3rd off a fine. A not guilty plea, (if found guilty) attracts prosecution costs of £620 and no fine discount.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off