unsure how to complete medical questionnaire reapplying after disqualification up (high risk offender due to failure to give a specimen) only offence

Convicted Driver Insurance

twinmummy2be

hi all,
really need advice re my re application for my licence after disqualification is up. was Banned due to failure to give a specimen (only offence)

im hoping someone can help and brutal honesty is what i need right now! so i got banned for failure to give a specimen in 2018.
9 years clean licence previous, got 20 months ban. licence was due back in june 2020 and still stuck on the application. spoken to my doctor who has given me the go ahead as fit to drive. but ive never spoken to him personally or any doctor for that matter about alcohol issues. i wish it was as simple as that but it isnt, i have spoken to other professionals and this is on file, so that said my doctor i cant really take advice from now can i? when i mention i was diagnosed with a mental health problem in 2019 there gonna want to see this arent they? even though my doctor says it doesnt affect my driving, i am open about trauma in my life and how i have used alcohol as a coping mechanism on and off from a young age and how at the time i was getting support for it

that said i have had instances of misuse in the past and was diagnosed after loosing my licence with unstable personality disorder, in my diagnosis report it basically details all my problems about how much my life sucked growing up and how i turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism

(this sounds bad but im laughing at what ive just wrote cos i think it says it all)

anyway i mention a history of on and off drinking but not like persistently i mean in between i was living and working and raised children and went uni etc

however some of the later was affected by alcohol misuse because i had serious inability to cope like a normal person at that time with regards to traumatic life events, and again did use alcohol as a coping mechanism

i really hope im not offending anyone with the above im just not that person anymore so i think the real issue im having to be honest is the new me really mad at the old me!! also being open about this is so hard because i so badly want my licence back cos i deserve it back given i dont have this issue anymore with alcohol

during 2018 and 2019 i also had a domestic with an ex who called the police on me, this resulted in me assaulting a police officer whilst intoxicated and having to go to aspire for 6 months

i have according to my doctor got one incident which mentions alcohol abuse when i sadly tried to take my life whilst intoxicated in 2018, however my doctor tried to be positive about this by saying that even judges or nurses or even doctors try to take their lives so its just an isolated incident???

i completed my time with aspire and showed controlled drinking after i got my mental health diagnosis which is positive however the battle wasnt over back then, i lost two family members christmas day 2019 and attempted to seek support again from aspire because i felt the misuse starting again but ended up having bereavement counselling which was self referred and not through my doctor, so never used the aspire service again but apparently they have me as discharged in april 2020

my road to recovery began after the bereavement counselling and i have not had any issues with alcohol since. in fact i fell pregnant with twins in july 2020 and havent felt the need to turn to alcohol to cope with anything since!

there is nothing regarding alcohol or anything for that matter on my medical file since september 2020 when i spoke to my doctor about reapplying for my licence again

with regards to my missuse issues in the past, ive never been on any medication or in rehab for alcohol issues, im healthy and fit and never had an illness because of alcohol

my current circumstances are no misuse and no intention to since last year before i had the bereavement counselling (april 2020)
im not on any medication for my mental health anymore as feeling better which is written on my file
30 weeks pregnant with twins written on my file
wanting to get back on the road and move forward in my life

so my question i suppose i am asking is do i tick yes to regularly misused and if so should i provide 6 months bloods? or do i tick no because its not regular and isnt happening now but write a covering letter saying i am including 6 months bloods? i find my circumstances really unique as i am sure everyones are, hence the need for advice

oh and just to add i have now moved so have a new doctor, i have rang this doctor but he couldnt help with the questionaire any further he just said be as honest as you can, he did confirm though that it is on my file that my previous doctor has stated i am fit to drive back in september 2020.

Jeez, that is one big read!!! From what I can see, you need to be aware that firstly you are classed as an HRO so will have to undertake a medical with the DVLA appointed Doctor. You will have a questionnaire that asks about previous and current drinking habits, and also about mental health. You need to be answering these questions as honestly as possible, as they are more than likely to also write to your GP and if the answers do not tally up it will cause delays and possible issues with getting licence reissued. Even though the GP has said they think you are OK to drive, they are under obligation to share with DVLA the facts about previous misuse and previous mental health issues that are showing on your NHS notes. It may be that on seeing the full picture, DVLA may class you as a misuser and request proof of drinking within guidelines for 6 months. This is helped if you have LFT's from the GP that show stable or reducing levels within the 'normal' limits. Probably worth being completely up front with your new GP that you reapplying and need their help. Ask them to note that you have not been drinking since XX/XX, that you sought help for issues in the past and these issues are now resolved, and also get an LFT booked on which may help your case.

I am sorry but dispite what your doctor says, there are many indicators for DVLA that will raise big warning flags about you getting your licence back for a while.

In the past 3 years, you have failed to provide a legally required breath test, assaulted a police officer whilst drunk, had alcohol counselling for 6 months, have had treatment for a Personality disorder and attempted suicide. You say that you have had issues with alcohol. Misuse that have come back several times.
I think that DVLA will consider that you have alcohol dependence. (Dependence does not mean that you drink constantly)
for that they will want EVIDENCE of being alcohol free for 12 months (via LFT results being recorded) and confirmation that your BPD is under control to the extent that you are safe to drive. If it was to flare up again then suicidal thoughts are one of the outcomes of a BPD and They would worry that you could use a motor vehicle to achieve this aim, putting others at risk.

I appreciate this is not what you want to hear, but I feel it is an honest appraisal of the uphill task you will face to get your licence back.

Jeez, that is one big read!!! From what I can see, you need to be aware that firstly you are classed as an HRO so will have to undertake a medical with the DVLA appointed Doctor. You will have a questionnaire that asks about previous and current drinking habits, and also about mental health. You need to be answering these questions as honestly as possible, as they are more than likely to also write to your GP and if the answers do not tally up it will cause delays and possible issues with getting licence reissued. Even though the GP has said they think you are OK to drive, they are under obligation to share with DVLA the facts about previous misuse and previous mental health issues that are showing on your NHS notes. It may be that on seeing the full picture, DVLA may class you as a misuser and request proof of drinking within guidelines for 6 months. This is helped if you have LFT's from the GP that show stable or reducing levels within the 'normal' limits. Probably worth being completely up front with your new GP that you reapplying and need their help. Ask them to note that you have not been drinking since XX/XX, that you sought help for issues in the past and these issues are now resolved, and also get an LFT booked on which may help your case.

hi big tom thank you for your reply it is really what i needed!!! so my new gp stated he could not help me with the form as he dont know me and its not an nhs thing! all he confirmed was that my previous doctor had stated he felt i was fit to drive and mentioned my pregnancy and not being on any medication (in a better place. this to which supports me being in a better place but if evidence is needed can i just pay for 6 months bloods just incase? i mean if thats an option, theres nothing to compare them too tho and cos i dont have alcohol issues im asusming they will all be normal

could this work?

I am sorry but dispite what your doctor says, there are many indicators for DVLA that will raise big warning flags about you getting your licence back for a while.

In the past 3 years, you have failed to provide a legally required breath test, assaulted a police officer whilst drunk, had alcohol counselling for 6 months, have had treatment for a Personality disorder and attempted suicide. You say that you have had issues with alcohol. Misuse that have come back several times.
I think that DVLA will consider that you have alcohol dependence. (Dependence does not mean that you drink constantly)
for that they will want EVIDENCE of being alcohol free for 12 months (via LFT results being recorded) and confirmation that your BPD is under control to the extent that you are safe to drive. If it was to flare up again then suicidal thoughts are one of the outcomes of a BPD and They would worry that you could use a motor vehicle to achieve this aim, putting others at risk.

I appreciate this is not what you want to hear, but I feel it is an honest appraisal of the uphill task you will face to get your licence back.

Hi price, no apologies needed, its what i came on the site for after all! brutal honesty so i can prepare going forward!! good news is being pregnant with my twins ive had lots of MH support so the unstable pd can be updated in terms of my coping mechanisms being different now compared to 2 years ago!! i aim to complete 6 months bloods, then approach my new doctor and obtain all proof of the support and changes made, which should be extensive!! aiming to reapply for july/august and then maybe have one more bloods if need be before the medical and then i know they do bloods also so i have an action plan!!

just one more thing re LFT, im going to pay for these private because ive already spoken to this doctor and they dont offer these on the NHS

although i may actually have a chat with my midwife as she may be able to put a word in here because getting my licence back is an achievement and it will help with my mental health also!! anyway either way, if i cant get the LFTS are medichecks suitable with their CDT tests you can pay for?

thank you very much for your reply and advice its really helped me! :)

Hi price, no apologies needed, its what i came on the site for after all! brutal honesty so i can prepare going forward!! good news is being pregnant with my twins ive had lots of MH support so the unstable pd can be updated in terms of my coping mechanisms being different now compared to 2 years ago!! i aim to complete 6 months bloods, then approach my new doctor and obtain all proof of the support and changes made, which should be extensive!! aiming to reapply for july/august and then maybe have one more bloods if need be before the medical and then i know they do bloods also so i have an action plan!!

just one more thing re LFT, im going to pay for these private because ive already spoken to this doctor and they dont offer these on the NHS

although i may actually have a chat with my midwife as she may be able to put a word in here because getting my licence back is an achievement and it will help with my mental health also!! anyway either way, if i cant get the LFTS are medichecks suitable with their CDT tests you can pay for?

thank you very much for your reply and advice its really helped me! :)

They 100% do provide LFT's on the NHS, that's where we all get ours. Medichecks is not suitable as they do not confirm the identidy of the donor. It would have to be a private registered GP's practice.

They do not provide CDT on the NHS but I've had maybe 30 liver function tests over the last 6 years at my GP's practice.

I am pleased that you are putting your life in order and it sounds like you have made great progress.
I am glad that you took the advice in the spirit that it was intended, often people come on here just looking for sympathy and get upset when all they get is what they see as criticism.
It sounds like you have a plan, gather evidence wherever you can, not just anecdotal, but Medichecks will not be acceptable to DVLA as they ask for no proof about whose sample has been submitted when they analyse it.
Unstable Personality Disorder is something that you will have for life, but it can be regulated and this is what you will have to demonstrate. With twins on the way you have plenty of positives to draw on to help you!
Good luck and stay in touch on here.

They 100% do provide LFT's on the NHS, that's where we all get ours. Medichecks is not suitable as they do not confirm the identidy of the donor. It would have to be a private registered GP's practice.

They do not provide CDT on the NHS but I've had maybe 30 liver function tests over the last 6 years at my GP's practice.
Hi Grice

to be honest when i rang my new gp i only asked for advice on filling the medical form out, i didnt enquire about LFTS, i intend to approach my midwife about this next week and see if she can help assist here.

thanks for your response to my post :)

I am pleased that you are putting your life in order and it sounds like you have made great progress.
I am glad that you took the advice in the spirit that it was intended, often people come on here just looking for sympathy and get upset when all they get is what they see as criticism.
It sounds like you have a plan, gather evidence wherever you can, not just anecdotal, but Medichecks will not be acceptable to DVLA as they ask for no proof about whose sample has been submitted when they analyse it.
Unstable Personality Disorder is something that you will have for life, but it can be regulated and this is what you will have to demonstrate. With twins on the way you have plenty of positives to draw on to help you!
Good luck and stay in touch on here.

Hi Price
thank you again for taking the time to give advice :) will definately keep in touch. :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off