Uninsured driver, admiral letter of indemnity to policy holder

Convicted Driver Insurance

Zys

Hi I’ve stumbled onto this group and there’s incredible advice. However my case is slightly different and I was hoping someone could help me.
My son was driving my car under temporary car insurance and had an accident. I am the policy holder. We’ve just been informed that his insurance is not valid and in fact he wasn’t actually covered - so uninsured driver.
I’ve received an email from admiral stating that as the policy holder, under their terms they can hold me responsible for any third party claims. They want me to sign the indemnity form under road traffic agreement/motor insurance bureau, so they can claim all costs incurred by the third party from me. Regardless of the fact that I wasn’t driving and had a separate policy in my sons name. Usually when he drives my car we take out temporary named driver insurance under my policy as and when needed as he’s only 19. However, this time he would be driving the car for a full 2 weeks (whilst I’m working from home so wouldn’t at the time be the main driver. I thought having him covered fully as the car is expensive the safer and legal option and paid nearly £200 for two weeks of cover.
My question is do I sign the form? Are admiral acting as rta or acting on behalf of mib.
My son has recieved no correspondence from anyone. When he had the accident he filed the claim with Veygo who say the insurance is void as there is no policy held under his name. Basically from what I now know after extensive research we’ve fallen foul of an insurance ghost broker. Which is gutting as my yearly insurance runs into the thousands just to cover our three cars so all of us can drive safely and legally.
Any advice will be gratefully received. I have rang several solicitor firms but I can’t find anyone who deals or can advise me on this matter.

Hi I’ve stumbled onto this group and there’s incredible advice. However my case is slightly different and I was hoping someone could help me.
My son was driving my car under temporary car insurance and had an accident. I am the policy holder. We’ve just been informed that his insurance is not valid and in fact he wasn’t actually covered - so uninsured driver.
I’ve received an email from admiral stating that as the policy holder, under their terms they can hold me responsible for any third party claims. They want me to sign the indemnity form under road traffic agreement/motor insurance bureau, so they can claim all costs incurred by the third party from me. Regardless of the fact that I wasn’t driving and had a separate policy in my sons name. Usually when he drives my car we take out temporary named driver insurance under my policy as and when needed as he’s only 19. However, this time he would be driving the car for a full 2 weeks (whilst I’m working from home so wouldn’t at the time be the main driver. I thought having him covered fully as the car is expensive the safer and legal option and paid nearly £200 for two weeks of cover.
My question is do I sign the form? Are admiral acting as rta or acting on behalf of mib.
My son has recieved no correspondence from anyone. When he had the accident he filed the claim with Veygo who say the insurance is void as there is no policy held under his name. Basically from what I now know after extensive research we’ve fallen foul of an insurance ghost broker. Which is gutting as my yearly insurance runs into the thousands just to cover our three cars so all of us can drive safely and legally.
Any advice will be gratefully received. I have rang several solicitor firms but I can’t find anyone who deals or can advise me on this matter.

Apologies, I rarely read through the forum so I missed this. I only get alerts for my original thread and DMs.

It's a complex area and insurance companies often seem to argue amongst themselves about liability. I still don't understand how it works!
That's why it's very difficult to find a solicitor capable of taking it on.

I would be inclined not to sign the indemnity as it is an agreement for you to settle the claim.

Because there is a valid policy for your car (your policy) I think your insurance company might be on the hook as Article 75 insurer.

Definitely worth asking Admiral if they are acting as RTA or Article 75 insurer - it can make a big difference in the settlement.

I guess it's more complex because you gave your son the keys and permission to drive and they treat it as though your son's temporary policy just didn't exist.

Seems very unfair to pursue you, hence don't sign the indemnity form and agree to pay.

Apologies, I rarely read through the forum so I missed this. I only get alerts for my original thread and DMs.

It's a complex area and insurance companies often seem to argue amongst themselves about liability. I still don't understand how it works!
That's why it's very difficult to find a solicitor capable of taking it on.

I would be inclined not to sign the indemnity as it is an agreement for you to settle the claim.

Because there is a valid policy for your car (your policy) I think your insurance company might be on the hook as Article 75 insurer.

Definitely worth asking Admiral if they are acting as RTA or Article 75 insurer - it can make a big difference in the settlement.

I guess it's more complex because you gave your son the keys and permission to drive and they treat it as though your son's temporary policy just didn't exist.

Seems very unfair to pursue you, hence don't sign the indemnity form and agree to pay.
Thankyou so much. at the moment that’s what we’ve done. I actually did ask admiral regarding whether this is a rta or article 75. They refused to consider it as an article 75 when I asked and insisted this was a RTA. I’ve left the form unsigned but according to their terms if my son can’t pay, they’ll come after me🤦‍♀️

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off