under investigation

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help, provide advice or even set my mind at ease. I'm worried and scared about what's coming next.

I am accused and was arrested of drink driving, after moving my car in a car park and striking two parked cars. They are also seeking a charge of leaving the scene of an accident. I blew 91 at the station and was detained overnight.

I have been released pending an investigation but am worried about what my sentence could be, this would be my first ever criminal offence if I'm convicted (I had never even been arrested before).

From what I've read, the damage to the cars and the leaving an accident charge makes this a whole lot more serious and could result in a custodial sentence. To confirm, this happened in the small hours of the morning, in a residential car park, so I certainly wasn't going to go knocking doors at that time.

If found guilty, what kind of sentence should I expect and is a custodial sentence a real possibility?

A custodial sentence is not going to happen for this, but you will face a ban of 23-28 months (reduced by up to 25% if you are offered and complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course), the likelihood of a community penalty such as community service or a tag, any you will be treated as a High Risk Offender by DVLA and be required to undertake a medical at the end of your ban before you can get your licence back.
I understand why you say you were not going to knock on doors, if there a lot to chose from, but at the very least you should have left your cafe and personal details on the windscreen of each car. The law also says that if for any reason you cannot exchange details, you must report it to the police “as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours”.
That does not mean you have 24 hours though, it must be as soon as possible within the 24 hours.

A custodial sentence is not going to happen for this, but you will face a ban of 23-28 months (reduced by up to 25% if you are offered and complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course), the likelihood of a community penalty such as community service or a tag, any you will be treated as a High Risk Offender by DVLA and be required to undertake a medical at the end of your ban before you can get your licence back.
I understand why you say you were not going to knock on doors, if there a lot to chose from, but at the very least you should have left your cafe and personal details on the windscreen of each car. The law also says that if for any reason you cannot exchange details, you must report it to the police “as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours”.
That does not mean you have 24 hours though, it must be as soon as possible within the 24 hours.

Hi price

You're right. I am utterly, utterly disgusted with myself. I haven't eaten since the incident Saturday morning and am scared of what will happen next. I have lost almost half a stone in weight since Saturday. I am struggling to work and to focus on anything other than this incident.

On top of that, the owners of the cars have been at my door looking to settle things privately. I have advised that I don't believe I'm allowed to do so during an ongoing investigation, I was also under the impression victims/witnesses shouldn't be approaching me. I can afford to and would like to pay for the damage but I'm not sure where I stand with this kind of thing.

You perhaps should settle this privately. There is nothing to stop you having dealings with the other parties to the accident.
If you do not deal with them, and it goes to insurance then your insurance company will cancel your policy when they find out that drink driving was involved.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off