Turned down

Convicted Driver Insurance
It's quite possible that DVLA may class you as misuse/dependence, there are different classes of misuse or dependence that the DVLA use, for me there was no detox no meds etc the question is has your GP put that your drinking is controlled on the DD2 and if so will DVLA accept it or will they want abstination after 140 units of alcohol per week,? The good thing is that you have your GPs support and your LFTs are normal which is what the DVLA will require, any one with past or present alcohol issues registered with their GP will be thoroughly investigated.... I too had many sleepless nights but there is an end to it you just have to keep chipping away at it with your GP,,, if there's any mental health issues as well you can expect them to investigate that too....they went back as far as 2006 with myself...

My GP put controlled since November 2018 and that the misuse was only for a short period of 2 weeks in November 2018.

He put no to dependance and no to persistent misuse as this was only a one off over a 2 week period. The form was sent back for the doctor to explain why he said no but then put I was drinking up to 140 units a week in November. He then wrote a letter with the questionnaire saying that it was only for a short period of time and a one off there for not persistant.

Which is very supportive of your doctor and DVLA do take a GPs opinion seriously, I too had a letter to state there had been no diagnosis of dependance, I would of thought with your GPs explanation for the high level of drink consumed that they may well side with your GPs opinion, however DVLA do state they only take your GPs opinion as guidance only and ultimately DVLA will make the final decision going forward,,, it's just a waiting game now Danny and hopefully it will go in your favour, any alcohol issues and DVLA will quickly point the finger at misuse/dependance,,,,,,,,if it is misuse it'll be 6 months of controlled drinking or abstination...

Which is very supportive of your doctor and DVLA do take a GPs opinion seriously, I too had a letter to state there had been no diagnosis of dependance, I would of thought with your GPs explanation for the high level of drink consumed that they may well side with your GPs opinion, however DVLA do state they only take your GPs opinion as guidance only and ultimately DVLA will make the final decision going forward,,, it's just a waiting game now Danny and hopefully it will go in your favour, any alcohol issues and DVLA will quickly point the finger at misuse/dependance,,,,,,,,if it is misuse it'll be 6 months of controlled drinking or abstination...
So the fact it’s been controlled drinking since November 2018 would that mean I would get it back?

It depends how the DVLA look at it, if it is misuse with controlled drinking they would expect a DD2 report backed up with your GPs support coupled with liver function tests,and yes that would be accepted by DVLA, that would be more than 6 months...of medical evidence...

It depends how the DVLA look at it, if it is misuse with controlled drinking they would expect a DD2 report backed up with your GPs support coupled with liver function tests,and yes that would be accepted by DVLA, that would be more than 6 months...of medical evidence...
Let us know how you get on Danny ....

Out of curiosity have you had a medical ?
Yes mate. Had the medical. Then the questionnaire. This was then sent back to the doc to explain why he put no to persistent misuse with the alcohol amount and dates in Q3. He replied basically saying it wasn’t persistant as was only a 2 week spell. GGT normal etc. Don’t know the result of CDT

Ok hopefully with all information received and a low CDT maybe they can make a decision, usually takes about 3 weeks for them to make a decision with all information, if I you do contact them by phone and they tell you your case is with the managers then usually this is a positive sign and they decide what licence to issue out, as I mentioned keep us updated and we can help you further if needs be......

Well done Danny there's nothing better than receiving good news like this you know how stressful it can be, "almost drive you to drink" enjoy once again and if you need us in the future you know where we are ;)(y)

I'm still serving a 28 month ban - reduced to 21 months after doing the course. I too fall into the HRO category after blowing 113 on my arrest. Unfortunately, I had major alcohol problems up to my drink driving offence which included visits to my doctor.

What I will say to anyone on here who reads this - being a HRO means that there is no guarantee of getting our licence back at the end of a ban unless you address your alcohol problems.

I started my sobriety last year and I've recently visited my doctor and had a blood test done. I'm planning on having another blood test done later in the year just prior to my HRO medical.

What I will suggest to any one on here is get your abstinence recorded by the GP as its concrete evidence that you have addressed your drinking. If there is nothing recorded the DVLA can easily turn around and knock you back and therefore enforce a further punishment of 12 months.

The DVLA is a massive powerful organisation who can change people's lives with decisions on licences. No one can beat the DVLA - the only way is to lay your cards on the table and change your lifestyle. I have and I can honestly say I feel better for it.

What I would say to any currently banned HRO forum member reading this is - if you do have any alcohol problems then please seek help or address it because you WILL NOT GET YOUR LICENCE BACK otherwise.

All the best.

CJ

That is a very true and honest post that I support 100%, well explained CJ.....and I'm glad to see that you are now on course to getting your licence back, albeit a temp 1 year, but hey it's a licence on its way....glad to see the LFTs are being submitted as part of your medical evidence.....

Honestman

I actually knew a chap who was a HRO and he failed the medical. To say it was a massive set back for him was an understatement - the bloke could not drive for another 12 months. He too was a problem drinker and although he had cut down on his boozing the DVLA could not get assurances that he was a safe driver so he was turned down to get his licence back. He then set his stall out - visited his GP about three times during the course of the year and sailed through his next medical and got a 12 month licence. Not every HRO will experience this but certainly any banned HRO who has a recognised drink problem needs to be mindful that unless you set in stone evidence of a lifestyle change you will not get your licence back.

CJ

Honestman

I actually knew a chap who was a HRO and he failed the medical. To say it was a massive set back for him was an understatement - the bloke could not drive for another 12 months. He too was a problem drinker and although he had cut down on his boozing the DVLA could not get assurances that he was a safe driver so he was turned down to get his licence back. He then set his stall out - visited his GP about three times during the course of the year and sailed through his next medical and got a 12 month licence. Not every HRO will experience this but certainly any banned HRO who has a recognised drink problem needs to be mindful that unless you set in stone evidence of a lifestyle change you will not get your licence back.

CJ
Yes I agree totally with what you say and you seem to understand the process very well, other HROs on the forum find out the hard way as you mentioned and then are gutted when DVLA want another 12 months from them, don't forget your LAST DRINK DATE documented with your GP as this is when your new temp licence will start from....

Remember if your level of dependence is recorded high it's a lifetime ban on drinking , any other level your not even allowed a sip of champagne toasting a wedding during that year!
Its all went Draconian# as they don't have the resources to properly vet everyone!

Last edited:
Remember if your level of dependence is recorded high it's a lifetime ban on drinking , any other level your not even allowed a sip of champagne toasting a wedding it's all went Draconian as they don't have the resources to properly vet everyone!
Yes good point Craig as there have been two temp licence holders during my time on the forum that forgot to stay abstinent and when applying for another temp licence mentioned on the medical questionarre that they had a small drink during an occasion and was then revoked for another 12 months, please don't let anybody get caught out with that...

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off