trying to find out if i am a high risk or low risk offender to apply for my licence back

Convicted Driver Insurance

jason1988mallett

After my ban i sat the course to lower my ban duration and was told if i am a high risk offender i will be informed 90 days before the end of my ban to apply for my licence back but this has been and gone. and its impossible to talk to anyone from DVLA so i am hoping i am a low risk offender then its reduced to 56 days. i understand that covid probably has slowed the process up but i have served my punishment and payed my dues. so i think its inexcusable to mess my licence return date up

After my ban i sat the course to lower my ban duration and was told if i am a high risk offender i will be informed 90 days before the end of my ban to apply for my licence back but this has been and gone. and its impossible to talk to anyone from DVLA so i am hoping i am a low risk offender then its reduced to 56 days. i understand that covid probably has slowed the process up but i have served my punishment and payed my dues. so i think its inexcusable to mess my licence return date up
No such thing as a 'low risk offender'. You’re a high risk offender if you:

- were convicted of 2 drink driving offences within 10 years
- were driving with an alcohol reading of at least 87.5 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres (ml) of breath, 200 milligrammes (mg) of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, or 267.5 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of urine
- refused to give the police a sample of breath, blood or urine to test for alcohol
- refused to allow a sample of your blood to be tested for alcohol (for example if it was taken when you were unconscious)

In those cases, you are allowed to reapply 90 days before as the DVLA have to arrange for you to go for a medical. If you are not an HRO, you can reapply 56 days before.

If you are an HRO, just because you haven't had the forms through on time doesn't mean you shouldn't reapply. Some people have not had their forms through and have had to get the equivalent forms from the Post Office instead. DVLA have been inundated with covid cases in Swansea, and to make matters worse they have been having strikes for months on end. Don't think that the day your ban is supposed to end is the day that you can drive again, many thousands of people are delayed for months afterwards because of the DVLA backlog.

Agree with Bigtom.
Only thing to add is that the form from the post office is called a D1.

What was your reading in breath / blood that you were convicted on?

Your reading at the police station does make you a high risk offender.
You need to get the application in at the 90 day point, but based on what people have been reporting on here, you have little chance of going through the medical process in 3 months, particularly if DVLA decide to contact your GP.
Some doctors are on the ball and return the form in a timely manner, but others do not see it as a priority and can take up to 12 weeks just for that part to be done!

No, it can only be done through DVLA at an approved medication centre. They have to have a DVLA code to do it and report, and you will be in a queue to get registered and have a code sent to you, that process alone is taking 2 months or more.

is it possible to go private so the medical can be done faster?
Nope.

When you have reapplied, DVLA will choose a Doctors within the vicinity of where you live. They will then write to you asking you to contact this Dr to arrange the medical. At the moment, it is taking a number of months after applying for this to happen, usually people get a medical after the date they were supposed to get their licence back.

That is the first stage, once the medical has been carried out, DVLA may then write to your GP. This again can take a number of months. Then it takes a while for their medical team to assess your application and decide.

All in all, based on everyone else's observations over the recent months, you are unlikely to be getting your licence back much before April/May if you were to reapply today! You may only get a 1 year medical licence issued also, this will mean you have to go through the same thing 12 months later....

well if that is the process than that is the process. I personally think its piss poor that DVLA and courts that can take it away in a flash and demand the fines and punishments be settled on a date but cant sort out the return date even after paying for a course and having to be on time and to a date on these courses and be at court on a time and a date. Always the same with these types of government company's and people.

Jason

I thought I would share the following link that was an article published recently in the Manchester Evening News about changes in certain driving legislation from next year (2022). Point number 4 is a very interesting one indeed.

From reading number 4 - it would appear nursing staff will potentially have a lot more accessibility to make referrals to the DVLA about their patients if they hold a valid driving licence. The knock on effect is that more people will find themselves having their licences revoked for a multitude of reasons. It really is food for thought.

Regards

CJ

I dont read it that way, To me it says that nurses will be able to complete DVLA questionnaires, which can only be done by GP’s at the moment and that is what has been causing the backlog.
It does not ay that the can, or will, report patients that they see to DVLA on a proactive basis when they see a person on an appointment.

I dont read it that way, To me it says that nurses will be able to complete DVLA questionnaires, which can only be done by GP’s at the moment and that is what has been causing the backlog.
It does not ay that the can, or will, report patients that they see to DVLA on a proactive basis when they see a person on an appointment.
That is my reading of it also: a change that should assist in terms of the processing of applications.

well if that is the process than that is the process. I personally think its piss poor that DVLA and courts that can take it away in a flash and demand the fines and punishments be settled on a date but cant sort out the return date even after paying for a course and having to be on time and to a date on these courses and be at court on a time and a date. Always the same with these types of government company's and people.
The Courts don’t actually take licences away in a flash . The process is usually instigated by some behaviour on the part of the driver, and , as in my case , the disqualification is imposed as a consequence of a conviction. The delays are totally horrendous, and many of us on here who are HRO have experienced long waits . Again , in my case , I was responsible for getting that label attached to me . Even if it takes some while for the DVLA to process your case , you will still be benefiting from the reduction granted as a result of completing the course . Let’s hope 2022 sees some improvements for people .

I think your way too Price, and personally think that this is a positive! I'm sure any NHS practitioner who has concerns about a patient driving can (and does?) report the concerns to DVLA currently anyway.

I also agree with @Polly3. We made the rod for our own backs, if the finishing post is moved - then so be it. Not easy if it affects you personally, but as I've always said, a licence is a privilege and not a given right. @jason1988mallett I agree that the system is poor, but it is the same for everyone. Loads of 17 year olds can't get their licence yet, people on a medical licence can't get renewals, HGV licence holders can't get their licences reissued - but it is what it is. Regarding your comment about being on time for courses, court dates etc., I don't think this is to do with the current pandemic, I think that is, and always has been, the case - Imagine the chaos if this wasn't so...

I don't want to rain on your parade any more than others have, but here is my current timeline and I did EVERYTHING within the requisite dates. Just another episode in the saga of an HRO.

Can I ask if you were not driving what were you charged and convicted of? Were you in charge of the vehicle? Was the engine running? Were you in the driver's seat at the time?

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called DVLA
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called DVLA
03/09/2021​
50I told the DVLA which 'approved' GP I wanted to go to as I had already ascertained from them that there was no waiting time for the medical. Normally what they do is simply take your postcode and then find a GP closest to you as the crow flies. In my case that would have involved a bus journey of around 2 hours. The GP I went to was only 35 minutes away by train.
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
61I got the GP I asked for.
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by a call handler that everything had been received and was with the medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call to find this out
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They confirmed they had sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms.
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121This time I was told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves me.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125GP said that there had been no contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they said they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on 12/11/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021 saying they had writtent to my GP.
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.
GP confirmed they had received a letter from DVLA
01/12/2021​
Spoke with my own GP again.
29/12/2021
Form had still not been returned to DVLA.

So don’t they have to tell you if you’re a high risk offender and will need a medical? I blew 88 but having to take a medical to get my license back hasn’t been mentioned by either the Court or DVLA?

So don’t they have to tell you if you’re a high risk offender and will need a medical? I blew 88 but having to take a medical to get my license back hasn’t been mentioned by either the Court or DVLA?
Oops. Bad news (maybe.) Anything above a breath reading 87.5 will put you in the HRO category, so it looks like you have just slipped into this. It is usually only when the DVLA write to you 90 days before your ban expires asking you to re-apply for your licence if you want to that you will see any mention of being an HRO. The courts don't mention it as they are only responsible for issuing you with a ban and a sentence. ALos, it does not mention HRO anywhere on the DVLA website when you check your licence status.

Oops. Bad news (maybe.) Anything above a breath reading 87.5 will put you in the HRO category, so it looks like you have just slipped into this. It is usually only when the DVLA write to you 90 days before your ban expires asking you to re-apply for your licence if you want to that you will see any mention of being an HRO. The courts don't mention it as they are only responsible for issuing you with a ban and a sentence. ALos, it does not mention HRO anywhere on the DVLA website when you check your licence status.
Ahh right so it sounds like I am then. Is it that I’ll have to do some kind of medical before they reissue my license?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off