Travelling to the U.S with a DR40 Conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Woozle47

Hello there. I'm new to this forum so please excuse me for jumping into your conversation.

I have a DR40 (In charge of a vehicle whilst over the legal limit) to my name. I received a £400 fine & 10 points, no ban. Does anyone know if this means I need to apply for a visa when considering entry to the USA? The visa waver or ESTA is confusing as it does not ask you to list a drink related driving offence. Do you know of any similar experience?

In a nutshell, for the ESTA scheme you face the following question: “have you ever been arrested for any offence which involved serious injury to someone, serious damage to property (not your own) or have you caused significant loss to your government?” If you can answer no to that, you are eligible for the ESTA visa waiver scheme and can go on holiday.

If, however, you are travelling on business, on the visa application form, the question is “Have you ever been arrested for any criminal offence?” With a drink drive conviction you have to answer yes to that and if it was in the past 5 years then they will want you do do a medical before they approve you.

In a nutshell, for the ESTA scheme you face the following question: “have you ever been arrested for any offence which involved serious injury to someone, serious damage to property (not your own) or have you caused significant loss to your government?” If you can answer no to that, you are eligible for the ESTA visa waiver scheme and can go on holiday.

If, however, you are travelling on business, on the visa application form, the question is “Have you ever been arrested for any criminal offence?” With a drink drive conviction you have to answer yes to that and if it was in the past 5 years then they will want you do do a medical before they approve you.
Thank you very much. I'll go down the ESTA route.

Hello there. I've read a recent post from DonkeyKong advising a lady she can't travel to the USA on an ESTA after a single DD conviction. Do you know if this rule has changed as I'm sure you gave me the correct advice (see my post from October 2018)

The advice I gave in October (2 posts above this) is still correct. The question is: what is your answer to the ESTA questions. If they are “no” then you can travel on ESTA.

The advice I gave in October (2 posts above this) is still correct. The question is: what is your answer to the ESTA questions. If they are “no” then you can travel on ESTA.
I thought so - just got a little worried as I’m going down the ESTA route when I go to the US early next year. Thank you again.

Hi guys, Just found this forum today and been having a good read through.
Planning a trip to California in November. I understand that on the ESTA form you are asked “have you ever been arrested for any offence which involved serious injury to someone, serious damage to property (not your own) or have you caused significant loss to your government?”

My answer is no but i have had two drink driving bans. One in 2012 and one in 2014. In theory the amount of disqualification's should not affect being granted an ESTA so long as no one was injured or property was not damage or would two convictions come back to haunt me somewhere along the line Either when i get to america or whilst I'm applying for an ESTA here.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

You are correct that these are the questions that are asked on the ESTA form. It does not matter if you have 2 convictions. It would only be a problem about 2 drink Drive convictions is if you did have to apply for a visa, either for a business visit or if you had certain countries stamped in your passport.

Hi guys, Just found this forum today and been having a good read through.
Planning a trip to California in November. I understand that on the ESTA form you are asked “have you ever been arrested for any offence which involved serious injury to someone, serious damage to property (not your own) or have you caused significant loss to your government?”

My answer is no but i have had two drink driving bans. One in 2012 and one in 2014. In theory the amount of disqualification's should not affect being granted an ESTA so long as no one was injured or property was not damage or would two convictions come back to haunt me somewhere along the line Either when i get to america or whilst I'm applying for an ESTA here.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Hello Dom147. Did you travel to California? How did it go?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off