Travelling to Florida

Convicted Driver Insurance

Stupid girl

Hi. Can anyone help. Wanting to go to Florida next year and heard conflicting stories of the level of difficulty getting into the USA with a conviction. Anyone know what I have to do to be able to travel there? Thankyou for any help or advice!

Hi. Can anyone help. Wanting to go to Florida next year and heard conflicting stories of the level of difficulty getting into the USA with a conviction. Anyone know what I have to do to be able to travel there? Thankyou for any help or advice!

Stupid girl

My brother went to Florida in 2008 with a unspent conviction for a public order offence under his belt. I don't think it's a massive issue for holidays over there if you have an unspent drink driving conviction.

The Border Control don't like drug offences though - so drug driving may be an issue, but I'm only speculating about this. Also, you may experience difficulties hiring a car with a DR10 on your licence.

The really big hurdle with Canada & the States is applying for a visa or moving out there permanently. I believe this is off limits for ten years.

CJ

Going on holiday to the USA involves filling out an ESTA form.
On the form is a question that asks: “have you ever been arrested for an offence that involves serious injury to a person, significant damage to property or a significant loss to your Government? (Not the exact words, but virtually correct)
So unless your drink driving involved significant damage ( many thousands of pounds worth to other vehicles - not yours- or property) or serious injury to other people then you can in all honest answer ‘no’ to that question and quite happily look the officials in the eye when you arrive without fear that you might be turned away.

In theory you are supposed to get a code that the car hire company in the US can use to check your licence. Never been asked for one, just showing your licence is enough. They don't have access to UK databases so will not be aware of any UK convictions.

Thinking aloud, now we're no longer part of the EU, does that mean European car hire companies are now in the same position?

On the form is a question that asks: “have you ever been arrested for an offence that involves serious injury to a person, significant damage to property or a significant loss to your Government? (Not the exact words, but virtually correct)
So unless your drink driving involved significant damage ( many thousands of pounds worth to other vehicles - not yours- or property) or serious injury to other people then you can in all honest answer ‘no’ to that question and quite happily look the officials in the eye when you arrive without fear that you might be turned away.
does the same apply to drug driving?

does the same apply to drug driving?

CJ mentioned in his post that he speculates that drug driver is treated more seriously than drink driving. That is the case as question 3 on the ETSA eligibility section states,

Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?”

Someone who has been found guilty of drug driving would have to answer yes to that question as that is a violation of a law relating to using illegal drugs. Drink driving is largely ignored by US immigration unless major property damage has been caused, however, drug driving is always considered.

Thankyou. No it was a straightforward DR10, picked up, no damage, no persons involved, I've paid my fine, done my time, learned from my mistake but it keeps coming back, like on this ocassion, about to book a holiday then wondering if I am able to go. I've no plans to drive when I go. So you think I will be fine and have no probs?

Absolutely, even if you want to drive. (So long as your ban is finished of course!)

Absolutely, even if you want to drive. (So long as your ban is finished of course!)
That's really helpful and I feel a lot happier. Thankyou. Yes I'm three years over it now. This firumn has been very supportive. I've been sole to throw a bit of advice myself here and there too.

That's really helpful and I feel a lot happier. Thankyou. Yes I'm three years over it now. This firumn has been very supportive. I've been sole to throw a bit of advice myself here and there too.
I know you are not going there, but Canada is one the few places where DUI is a felony and not a misdemeanour (US terms.)

Going to Canada under visa waiver is out until 10 years after your conviction.

Also Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and the UAE are pretty strict.

I know you are not going there, but Canada is one the few places where DUI is a felony and not a misdemeanour (US terms.)

Also Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and the UAE are pretty strict.
I would take issue with South Africa being added to the list….
I have been there over a dozen times in the past 7 years and for U.K. citizens there is NO visa requirement and NO questions about a criminal record on arrival. They have separate immigration posts for those not needing visas and the process is very smooth (unless you are at the back of the queue for an A380 Airbus arrival !)
It will be an issue for citizens of countries for whom a visa is required for entry to S.A., but not for us U.K. folk.

Mexico??? That’s a hoot given the level of serious organised crime there. You probably wouldn’t want to drive given them level of risk you’d likely face if you leave your all inclusive hotel compound.

I would take issue with South Africa being added to the list….
I have been there over a dozen times in the past 7 years and for U.K. citizens there is NO visa requirement and NO questions about a criminal record on arrival. They have separate immigration posts for those not needing visas and the process is very smooth (unless you are at the back of the queue for an A380 Airbus arrival !)
It will be an issue for citizens of countries for whom a visa is required for entry to S.A., but not for us U.K. folk.
Found the info on this website. It is US oriented but would generally be applicable to every country.

Found the info on this website. It is US oriented but would generally be applicable to every country.

But it applies to the USA because you need a visa if you live there to go to South Africa, and they ask about convictions in the application process. You then have to go through the visa entrants immigration section where you are interviewed.
You do not need a visa to go there from the U.K. so it is not applicable here.

But it applies to the USA because you need a visa if you live there to go to South Africa, and they ask about convictions in the application process. You then have to go through the visa entrants immigration section where you are interviewed.
You do not need a visa to go there from the U.K. so it is not applicable here.
Good to know. I have relatives in SA and I have always wanted to do a photo safari.

Its worth having a look at this for U.S Travel:

I think that is a bit too much. If you have a drink drive conviction, based on the visa waiver details, you will be OK. Just get an ESTA and all will be OK. They are looking for serious criminals and terrorists, despite what the American government website says, they are being over cautious.

That link he useful for visa visits, but all you need to know for the ESTA route to go to the USA (formerly known as the visa waiver scheme) is how you answer this question on the application form:

“Question 2: Has this traveller ever been arrested or convicted of a crime that led to serious material damage or serious harm to another person, or damage to a government institution?”

So if you did not write off a couple of cars or seriously injure someone else when drink driving, you can safely answer ‘no’ to that question in complete honesty.

I have advised a number of people on drink drive courses about this topic, helped a relative through the visa route (because of assault convictions 30 years ago) and tried speaking to the US embassy myself to try and get clarity.
The embassy will not give you an answer as to eligibility, the stock answer is:

“If the applicant has any doubts about their eligibility for ESTA they should submit an application for a visa and we will advise them in the light of their circumstances if one is required”

What I can say is that in every case where I have known of someone submitting an application ‘for clarity’ they were taken down the visa route.
I can also say that on every occasion where someone with a drink drive conviction (without significant damage or significant injury to another) applied via the ESTA route, they were successful and had no problems entering the USA.

That link he useful for visa visits, but all you need to know for the ESTA route to go to the USA (formerly known as the visa waiver scheme) is how you answer this question on the application form:

“Question 2: Has this traveller ever been arrested or convicted of a crime that led to serious material damage or serious harm to another person, or damage to a government institution?”

So if you did not write off a couple of cars or seriously injure someone else when drink driving, you can safely answer ‘no’ to that question in complete honesty.

I have advised a number of people on drink drive courses about this topic, helped a relative through the visa route (because of assault convictions 30 years ago) and tried speaking to the US embassy myself to try and get clarity.
The embassy will not give you an answer as to eligibility, the stock answer is:

“If the applicant has any doubts about their eligibility for ESTA they should submit an application for a visa and we will advise them in the light of their circumstances if one is required”

What I can say is that in every case where I have known of someone submitting an application ‘for clarity’ they were taken down the visa route.
I can also say that on every occasion where someone with a drink drive conviction (without significant damage or significant injury to another) applied via the ESTA route, they were successful and had no problems entering the USA.
What about is someone has 2 Drink Drive convictions within 10yrs? (No accidents/Injuries etc).

Same answer about the ESTA route being OK, but with 2 convictions in 10 years it could well trigger a medical to be undertaken (at your expense) if you have to go down the Visa route.
I have seen someone apply for a visa with 2 drink drive convictions and been turned down for ‘mental health’ grounds!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off