Time to start thinking about the dreaded medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi all,

A brief background - I had been going through a tough time in my life, dealing with issues related to childhood abuse. I was referred to a therapy group where I was essentially harassed and subsequently raped by one of the men in my group. I turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism and proceeded to make the biggest mistake of my life. I have little memory of the actual events but I consumed a significant amount of alcohol and made the decision to drive. I was pulled over by another motorist after having been observed driving erratically and swerving into their lane and scraping the side of their car - by all accounts I also had a few other near misses. Police were called and I blew over the limit. At the station the police were intimidating and less than kind to me, I panicked and refused to give a sample (I have some grievances over this as it was not entirely accurate to say I refused but that’s neither here nor there). I was charged with careless driving (very lucky not to be dangerous driving) and failure to provide a specimen of breath. I plead guilty and was given a lengthy ban and a fine which I deserved.

I’m utterly ashamed of myself, I had severe anxiety and panic attacks about the damage I could have done for a long time. I’m not exaggerating to say if I had caused actual physical harm to anyone that day I would have taken my own life, I couldn’t live with that. I feel so terrible about it all. Needless to say the whole sorry mess affected my life greatly - the loss of my car, the one thing that gave me some independence, was immense. I regret my decision so much. That said, however, I can’t turn back time and I have learned my lesson and taken a lot of steps to address my issues. My ban is not up for a few months yet and obviously I would love my license back ASAP, however, just getting it back at all is the most important thing.

For various reasons I do not, under any circumstances, want the DVLA to be contacting my GP. This is not due to any alcohol related issues but I do have a long history of other issues and it would just open a huge can of worms that I fear would cause a lengthy delay in getting my license back. None of those issues affect my ability to drive but this is the DVLA we are talking about.

So my question is this - I have been looking at the questionnaire and notice one of the questions asks about having had an accident in the last 3 years due to alcohol - when my ban is up it will be 2 months shy of me being able to say no to that. Do you think if I were to say yes to it, and it will be the only question I say yes to, that it may trigger the DVLA to investigate further I.e. write to my GP? I’m so desperate for my license back but I don’t want to give them any excuse to seek further evidence above their own medical. Obviously I know they may do anyway but I would seriously want to try and limit the risk of that happening.

I think I’m answering my own question here lol, sorry about that. I’m just starting to feel a bit stressed about it all as my car is so important to me. I deserved my ban, I have no issue holding my hands up and admitting wrongdoing but I feel I also now deserve my license back. I will have a private cdt test done before I book my medical to make sure all is ok there and then it’s just a case of deciding when to actually go for the medical.

What a stress this all is ?

I'm really sorry about your personal history but I'll try my best to answer the question at hand. Not declaring a medical problem to the DVLA such as depression, anxiety or a substance abuse problem carries a fine of £1000, the DVLA will also look at it as a misrepresentation of yourself to gain a licence. I have a friend who I attend AA meetings with who had seen his doctor for alcohol misuse, in normal circumstances the DVLA would look for evidence of controlled drinking for 6 months before being granted a licence, he went down the road of not declaring any medical problems on his application and he was called for his medical, all went well on the day yet he received a letter that his GP would be contacted and through the GP they found out about his condition plus that he had also not declared depression, they took a hard line stance on his drinking and demanded 1 year of sobriety with evidence of it to boot, he is currently in his 8th month of this and sees his GP once a month to keep a record that he's still sober. By misrepresenting himself he essentially added a year to his ban. I know you're eager to get your licence back, personally I'm counting down the days to get mine back, but if you go down the road of misrepresenting your medical history you will only end up in a worse situation if you're caught out. I know what I've told you won't put you at ease but it's better to be frank with an organisation that by filling out the medical form you've given permission to contact your GP for medical history. Regards, G

Hi there

Ordinary I would say for the sake of 2 months do not declare as by the time the DVLA process another month might pass anyway !
However it's concerning that you stated you might get a private CDT test which only leaves believing either you don't understand CDT levels or your drinkings still not under control which for the benefit of getting back driving it's best that you adress this first.

Thanks for the replies. It’s all making me feel quite stressed. I will take on board all the advice given. As for the CDT test I will only be taking a private one just for peace of mind really. Alcohol has not been an issue for me since this happened, however, I do still have a drink on special occasions. For instance I last drank on 20th Of this month as I was at a concert with my friend. We shared one bottle of red wine at dinner and then I had one blu wkd at the venue. Before that I hadn’t drank since Christmas. I won’t be drinking again until October when I’m going to another concert and then I will probably have some wine on Christmas Day with my family. I would just like to make sure that for whatever reason by the time my medical comes around, the cdt will definitely be in the low percentage - I’m sure it will but it’s just really for peace of mind. I think I will wait the extra couple of months so I can say no to the accident question but I’m going to have to think hard about whether to declare other issues (which are not alcohol/substance misuse related).

Thanks guys x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off