Thoughts on my chances??

Convicted Driver Insurance
Take it as a positive .. anything ongoing is a positive with the DVLA .. And if of no worry to you if it's 2 years ..

yeah I’m gonna . No doubt it will drag into the new year now . Prob have this urine test then after that want me to go meet my gp like mentioned above . My only worry now is not being able to pee with a doctor standing over me in the same cubicle . Happened once before (non dvla related)

Anyone know if they well test for alcohol when I go for my drug test or is it just drugs? Only thing letter says is declare any medication or over the counter stuff. But will they test for alcohol?

Quick update- not heard anything since I went for the urine test on the 16th December. Assume everything has been delayed over Xmas/new year. Just checked dvla website and no change on my status . I’ll give it till next week then give them a call

Advice please , lost my licence for 5 years. applied in 2018 CDT was 11.5%. was adviced 6-12 months soberness, been consuming 2-3 bottles of wine daily, Stopped all together in Nov2018 (not a drop) , no looking back. want to aplly in feb 2019. DVLA digging from my GP i don't think I have every gone with drink problem, thoungh I take carbemizapine 400mg twice a day due to trigeminal neuralgia, sertanline 50mg for depression & anxiety ( well in control), Lisinopril 5mg for hypertension... . My chances of getting my licence back /

Hi shivansh, if you was refused because your CDT was 11.5% then you can expect DVLA to investigate you because of your high reading, if you have been classed as misuse/dependance then you will need to complete either 6 months of controlled drinking or (with a reading that high) 12 months of abstination backed up with medical evidence from your GP in the form of liver function tests, without these DVLA could refuse you again, the problem is when DVLA tell someone to abstain they don't tell you to have liver function tests which is required in order for you to get your licence back...I have just gone through this process for the last year and was issued a 1 year temp licence ...

Hi shivansh, if you was refused because your CDT was 11.5% then you can expect DVLA to investigate you because of your high reading, if you have been classed as misuse/dependance then you will need to complete either 6 months of controlled drinking or (with a reading that high) 12 months of abstination backed up with medical evidence from your GP in the form of liver function tests, without these DVLA could refuse you again, the problem is when DVLA tell someone to abstain they don't tell you to have liver function tests which is required in order for you to get your licence back...I have just gone through this process for the last year and was issued a 1 year temp licence ...
They will also investigate your current medication and will need your GPs confirmation that you are fit to drive ...

I have had LFT which is been normal.

That's great news then what you need to do now is check that your GP is supporting you and that you are fit to drive (if you haven't already done so ) and apply for your licence depending on what they classed you as, if its dependence then it's very important that you have a last drink date registered with your GP as this is when your new licence will start from...

That's great news then what you need to do now is check that your GP is supporting you and that you are fit to drive (if you haven't already done so ) and apply for your licence depending on what they classed you as, if its dependence then it's very important that you have a last drink date registered with your GP as this is when your new licence will start from...
Thanks Honestman how do i register my last drink? because my GP isn't even aware I drink. I a tell him I had my last drink in Nov will he back date it and will my absent be counted from nov 2019 to nov2020 ? please clearyfy

Make an appointment with your GP and tell him/her that you are applying for your licence back and that you need support in the application process, (there's no hiding from the DVLA ) tell him the truth why you've been refused due to your high CDT level and that your last drink was on x and stick to that date, your liver function test will be proof that you have quit the drink to your own GP and the DVLA, yes your doctor can back date your last drink date and you will need to build a good rapport with him/her, on application for your licence the DVLA will send your GP medical questionarres DD2 for alcohol and M2 for current medication, it will be on this form that your last drink date will be required, I supplied 4 LFTs over the course of a year, it's very important that your GP gets to know you well and your medical background to support you going forward and to fill the forms in correctly as there have been lots of cases where people do not know their doctor and a licence has been refused due to that,( forms filled out INCORRECTLY)and that's the last thing you want as it can put weeks/months on a case..the more liver function tests you can supply the better...

Make an appointment with your GP and tell him/her that you are applying for your licence back and that you need support in the application process, (there's no hiding from the DVLA ) tell him the truth why you've been refused due to your high CDT level and that your last drink was on x and stick to that date, your liver function test will be proof that you have quit the drink to your own GP and the DVLA, yes your doctor can back date your last drink date and you will need to build a good rapport with him/her, on application for your licence the DVLA will send your GP medical questionarres DD2 for alcohol and M2 for current medication, it will be on this form that your last drink date will be required, I supplied 4 LFTs over the course of a year, it's very important that your GP gets to know you well and your medical background to support you going forward and to fill the forms in correctly as there have been lots of cases where people do not know their doctor and a licence has been refused due to that,( forms filled out INCORRECTLY)and that's the last thing you want as it can put weeks/months on a case..the more liver function tests you can supply the better...
Thanks my friend really appriciated.

Advice please , lost my licence for 5 years. applied in 2018 CDT was 11.5%. was adviced 6-12 months soberness, been consuming 2-3 bottles of wine daily, Stopped all together in Nov2018 (not a drop) , no looking back. want to aplly in feb 2019. DVLA digging from my GP i don't think I have every gone with drink problem, thoungh I take carbemizapine 400mg twice a day due to trigeminal neuralgia, sertanline 50mg for depression & anxiety ( well in control), Lisinopril 5mg for hypertension... . My chances of getting my licence back /

You have a long history of alcohol missuse or dependency depending on reports, you should of been visiting GP for regular blood checks( dvla state must be backed up by medical evidence) in there letters
Thanks my friend really appriciated.

Was the LFT a private test or registered practitioners how long ago and how many taken, was it clarified the blood parimters or CDT atleast GGT were in normal range ?

who does this whether you are misuer or dependend

Misuse will require 6 months of controlled drinking ie below 14 units a week backed up with GP reports and possible liver function tests from GP(GGt test then dvla medical including full (CDT test)

Dependency is a mine field at the moment ranging from low to high dependency your trapped in the dvla system
Low-med dependancy will normally require an entire year abstinence backed up with GP reports and definetly atleast 3 liver function(GGT) tests spread out over a year!
HIGH dependency will require a lifelong commitment to never drinking again with a full dvla medical including (CDT test)before licence renewed! It's imperative to have your GP's backing along with evidence of abstinence (LFT)
if that person is to obtain a driver's licence and remain with licence,
The above is only a generalisation from the feedback we receive on the forums

The DVLA are not making GP's aware of the criteria for liver function tests as evidence for dependancy drinkers! many are being rejected due to inconclusive proof when there licences are due for renewal.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off