The DVLA Medical test, CDT and an individual case study

Convicted Driver Insurance
Well, I rang my GP this Monday gone and he had the form. Said that the last thing he could see alcohol related was July 2014, which was earlier than my stated Oct 2014. I asked him if he could fax it back but he said couldn't find the fax number!!!:rolleyes:

I rang DVLA yesterday. They'd had my request for my results but hadn't actioned them yet :rolleyes: also had anything from my gp but if he hard copy sends it in, could take three weeks to scan on the bloody system!!!

So no real news really, ban ends in nine days!!

Seems like things are conspiring to make you wait as long as possible!!
Hopefully it won't take that long once they've gotten the info back from your GP. They can move much quicker than that, as evidenced in my case, so hopefully that's just them 'buying' themselves more time by overestimating. Strange that your GP couldn't find the fax number...it's on all their correspondence. Fingers still crossed for a speedy outcome for you!

Update.

Rang them today. They now say they've despatched my test results. They also say that as of the 16th May, they've had the information back from my GP and it's now gone to review. They say that there's a possible week turnaround on that. So a decision should be made by Monday! (Which is literally the day after I'm allowed to drive again!)

Man this is doing my head in!!!

I got my results today, they came in at a 0.9% - so very consistent with the other results.

I wasn't particularly worried about this as it had been low all the way along.

For anyone interested, you get the complete medical results. That is, all the questionnaires and the blood test result(final page)(6 pages double sided), everything done at the medical basically.

Although I requested it on the 4th May, they didn't send until the 17th May and I got on the 20th May.

Update.

Rang them today. They now say they've despatched my test results. They also say that as of the 16th May, they've had the information back from my GP and it's now gone to review. They say that there's a possible week turnaround on that. So a decision should be made by Monday! (Which is literally the day after I'm allowed to drive again!)

Man this is doing my head in!!!

Any news today?

Any news today?

I'm a little confused, I rang lunchtime today.

They said that as of last Friday, they'd passed all the information to the relevant department to make a decision and they've sent me a letter on the 20th to tell me this.

Now I was told before that they'd done that last Monday?? I suspect they mean that as of last Monday, they'd received the information and they've taken 5 days to pass it to the relevant department. :confused:

I'm a little confused, I rang lunchtime today.

They said that as of last Friday, they'd passed all the information to the relevant department to make a decision and they've sent me a letter on the 20th to tell me this.

Now I was told before that they'd done that last Monday?? I suspect they mean that as of last Monday, they'd received the information and they've taken 5 days to pass it to the relevant department. :confused:

So frustrating!!

And.....license reissued!

I've rang everyday since last Wednesday and this afternoon, he confirmed that they'd agreed a new license for a year...which was what I was expecting.

License should be with me in the next few days, but I confirmed with him, I'm allowed to drive right now. So I can finally drive that shiny Mazda 3 my partner has been enjoying!!

Talk about overwhelmed for a few minutes! The relief!!! I will admit to welling up whilst speaking to my closest family to let them know.

Thanks for all the support here.

And.....license reissued!

I've rang everyday since last Wednesday and this afternoon, he confirmed that they'd agreed a new license for a year...which was what I was expecting.

License should be with me in the next few days, but I confirmed with him, I'm allowed to drive right now. So I can finally drive that shiny Mazda 3 my partner has been enjoying!!

Talk about overwhelmed for a few minutes! The relief!!! I will admit to welling up whilst speaking to my closest family to let them know.

Thanks for all the support here.

Yay!! Congratulations! Enjoy the Mazda!

Have they stated what the procedure is to reapply in a year or are you going to enjoy your freedom and the shiny new car for a while before you think about?

Yay!! Congratulations! Enjoy the Mazda!

Have they stated what the procedure is to reapply in a year or are you going to enjoy your freedom and the shiny new car for a while before you think about?

Honestly. Apart from them telling me it was OK to drive, I haven't thought too much about it.

I'd be very interested to know how it goes from here and I'm sure a few people would like to know.

I'm guessing, some kind of questionnaire comes through, which seems kinda ridiculous. If it's the same one, I'm gonna have the same answers in just a year???

Hi White,

I first found your posts (and this forum) earlier this week and have spent some time reading everything you have written and checked many of the links you added.

I must say it has been really helpful and informative and want to thank you for all the work and research you have put into them, not to mention the sincere honesty on quite personal subjects.

As you will now be in proud possession of your new license I do not know if you are still visiting this site, although I do hope so.

I am currently in a similar position to where you were back in February, my personal circumstances are not exactly the same, but probably more by luck, as I was thinking of going to my doctor to help me stop drinking but have decided against that as clearly should the DVLA decide to go to my doctor this would indeed go against me and as my job (which currently I don't have) requires a full license and not a restricted one it would be like still having the ban, with the exception I would have more freedom.

So I am going cold turkey and it's not easy (this is day 3) ugh!! I do have some questions though which I was wondering if you could help me with.

1. On the medical questionnaire page 1, it asks when was your last visit to the doctor (for this condition) what condition is talking about? Are there different questionnaires for different people? I can only assume this relates to when did you last see your doctor about drink related problems which I haven't specifically, although my last visit was due to depression and was prescribed citalopram, an antidepressant but not one used for alcohol withdrawal, as I was depressed but didn't mention I also had a problem with alcohol. As it happens I didn't take them and still have the unused pack. Will I be asked about this and does depression go against you?

2. On the declaration page 5 do you have to sign to have your doctor advised of the outcome of your DVLA medical? I would rather not have this on my medical records at all as it could effect future jobs but I don't know if I have to agree to this in order for the DVLA to contact my doctor or if this simple refers to passing my results to add to my medical history. Would declining this part go against me and look suspicious?

3. You refer to the DVLA giving you a 6 week window, is this 6 weeks from the date they write offering you a medical to complete the forms and return them or is it a 6 week window from the date you receive details of your local DVLA doctor and actually having the medical? I am obviously trying now to delay my medical as long as possible to give myself as much abstinence as possible to lower my CDT.

I will also do my own private test just prior to completing my forms for the DVLA as if they are still too high I may as well wait rather then risking the 6 month delay in reapplying should I fail. I don't see any point in doing one now as after reading everything it doesn't really matter what it is now as there is nothing I can do about it other than abstaining which I am already doing and if by some miracle it's not as high as it should be (rather like yours was) then I may find it more diddifult to abstain (if that's possible).

Sorry to bother you with my own personal issues as I can see you went through quite a lot yourself recently, but the best person to advise you on anything is someone who has been through it and I'm scared to death of being declined or offered a temporary license as this past 9 months without my license has been hell, I had to resign from my job as I travelled all over and had a company car, have been totally depressed, lost a lot of my self respect and self esteem not to mention falling into an even worse cycle of drinking day and night due to not working, at least when I had a good job I managed to control my drinking and function quite well.

Anyway I will leave it there for now, I do have other questions which you may or may not be able to help with but as I no longer know if you visit the site or how frequently I will wait to see if I hear back first.

Hope you are enjoying your newfound freedom.

Many thanks,

Louise.

Hi White,

I first found your posts (and this forum) earlier this week and have spent some time reading everything you have written and checked many of the links you added.

I must say it has been really helpful and informative and want to thank you for all the work and research you have put into them, not to mention the sincere honesty on quite personal subjects.

As you will now be in proud possession of your new license I do not know if you are still visiting this site, although I do hope so.

I am currently in a similar position to where you were back in February, my personal circumstances are not exactly the same, but probably more by luck, as I was thinking of going to my doctor to help me stop drinking but have decided against that as clearly should the DVLA decide to go to my doctor this would indeed go against me and as my job (which currently I don't have) requires a full license and not a restricted one it would be like still having the ban, with the exception I would have more freedom.

So I am going cold turkey and it's not easy (this is day 3) ugh!! I do have some questions though which I was wondering if you could help me with.

1. On the medical questionnaire page 1, it asks when was your last visit to the doctor (for this condition) what condition is talking about? Are there different questionnaires for different people? I can only assume this relates to when did you last see your doctor about drink related problems which I haven't specifically, although my last visit was due to depression and was prescribed citalopram, an antidepressant but not one used for alcohol withdrawal, as I was depressed but didn't mention I also had a problem with alcohol. As it happens I didn't take them and still have the unused pack. Will I be asked about this and does depression go against you?

2. On the declaration page 5 do you have to sign to have your doctor advised of the outcome of your DVLA medical? I would rather not have this on my medical records at all as it could effect future jobs but I don't know if I have to agree to this in order for the DVLA to contact my doctor or if this simple refers to passing my results to add to my medical history. Would declining this part go against me and look suspicious?

3. You refer to the DVLA giving you a 6 week window, is this 6 weeks from the date they write offering you a medical to complete the forms and return them or is it a 6 week window from the date you receive details of your local DVLA doctor and actually having the medical? I am obviously trying now to delay my medical as long as possible to give myself as much abstinence as possible to lower my CDT.

I will also do my own private test just prior to completing my forms for the DVLA as if they are still too high I may as well wait rather then risking the 6 month delay in reapplying should I fail. I don't see any point in doing one now as after reading everything it doesn't really matter what it is now as there is nothing I can do about it other than abstaining which I am already doing and if by some miracle it's not as high as it should be (rather like yours was) then I may find it more diddifult to abstain (if that's possible).

Sorry to bother you with my own personal issues as I can see you went through quite a lot yourself recently, but the best person to advise you on anything is someone who has been through it and I'm scared to death of being declined or offered a temporary license as this past 9 months without my license has been hell, I had to resign from my job as I travelled all over and had a company car, have been totally depressed, lost a lot of my self respect and self esteem not to mention falling into an even worse cycle of drinking day and night due to not working, at least when I had a good job I managed to control my drinking and function quite well.

Anyway I will leave it there for now, I do have other questions which you may or may not be able to help with but as I no longer know if you visit the site or how frequently I will wait to see if I hear back first.

Many thanks,

Louise.

Louise
I am not quite sure we are talking about the same applications.

My application was for a Mini-Bus licence which demands a medical once over 70years of age.

I believe you maybe applying for a normal car licence??? Therefore there is no need for a medical unless the DVLA requires it. Should your application be for a normal licence then your answers are as stated and believed to be true.

I am not familiar with the standard driving application. However if you have not approached your doctor for a alcohol related illness then you can you can truthfully state you have not.

If the questions inquire into you consumption of alcohol then that is for you to answer as you deem fit. It was my truthful answer to this question, which alerted the DVLA who then demanded another medical, and blood test.

As I stated in my posting I am not alcohol dependent and my doctor has confirmed this. I just got into a mode of life were I drank virtually every evening. I have since stopped and only drink when out for a meal (weekends) and feel better for it.

Some friends of mine in a similar situation who consume alcohol consistently did not declare their full consumption. They declared to 4-5 pints per week. Their applications were accepted without further medicals/blood tests/revoked licences. They reasoned that if in the future they are accused of lying on the application they would admit to increased and unacceptable levels of drinking immediately after the application was submitted. No one could prove differently.one

If you are applying for a standard licence then what you declare regarding alcohol consumption will or will not alert the DVLA and may possibly avoid a medical so your doctor need not be informed.

If you are going for a Cat 2 licence 9mini-bus/truck) then you must complete a medical and it is at this medical the doctor will ask you about your drinking habits. Again depending on your answer is whether the DVLA will request another medical and blood test.

If they do request a further medical that is when they give you 6 weeks from receipt of their letter to have the medical completed.

If you do initially declare your alcohol consumption and are then forced to take the medical/blood test and fail then your doctor must be informed, as you need to consult with him/her during your six months ban.
If I was going for my licence again I know how I would answer the alcohol questions, given my current situation.

I only wished the DVLA had a better way to handle this problem without handing out this type of punishment. As stated I do not have a alcohol problem but this episode has given me a wakeup call to kerb my drinking, which I did immediatly. But to take my licence away when I am now completely in control seems a draconian measure to me.

Incidentally I still do not have my licence back . I need to wait until September even though my doctor has given me the green light almost a month ago.

I hope my ramblings help and if you need more information I will more than pleased to help. Also remember there are other far more experienced and intelligent members reading this post who can possibly advise.

Hi White,

Many thanks,

Louise.

Hi Louise

I'm not White43 but I went through my medical a couple of months before he did and along with another poster, Loulou, we kind of encouraged each other along.
I hope that my answers to your questions can help.

About when you last saw your GP. I filled this in as N/A has I haven't seen my GP in years and not for anything drink related. My advice would be to leave that bit blank and ask the doc who examines you to clarify. Explain that you did have Citalopram prescribed but didn't take it and tell them when this visit with your GP was but that you've never had to see them concerning alcohol. Presumably you never got a repeat prescription and this would be noted in your medical records. Don't forget that on questions 1- 4, it specifically asks about activity, including visits to your GP, within the LAST 3 Years.

I ticked NO to both the questions regarding consent to share information with my GP. That's what it's there for and if you want to protect your privacy, you are able to do so. It made no difference to the issuance of my licence, which was sent out 6 days after my medical.

The 6 week window starts from the DATE of the letter from DVLA inviting you to attend a medical. You easily loose at least a week, if not more, with postage times.

It sounds as though you are struggling with not drinking. I was drinking every day and feel it had become more of a habit (boredom even!) as opposed to dependence. I actually didn't miss it all after a couple of days and that was helped by going on a health kick. Doing lots more exercise, introducing a structured workout program and yoga etc. You can't drink if you're doing 30 burpees or squat lunges!! The exercise will also improve your mental health, making it easier to get out of the cycle of drinking and depression.

I hope I've been of some help and if you have any other questions, just ask.
Keep strong, you can do this!! ??

Last edited:
Hi White,

Many thanks,

Louise.

Hi Louise,

I'm really glad you found my thread and posts helpful - I did do them in the hope that people would follow behind and get an idea of the process and feel it somewhat demystified. I'll try and answer you as best I can.

1) The condition that the medical form you get at the DVLA fitness test is the same for anyone convicted of a drink drive violation. So the condition they're looking for is...have you ever been to see your GP in the last three years for anything to do with ALCOHOL. If you haven't then you can safely say no to this. Don't open yourself up to any other issues, say no. Citalopram is not a drug used to treat withdrawal of alcohol. You will be asked about any mental health issues on the standard application form, but I would just say no. Don't make this worse than it needs to be!

(As an aside - I'd like to say you're brave for going cold turkey - but this can, be very foolish - sudden alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous, if not fatal - but if you've managed 3 days off, then you're probably ok!)

2) I honestly don't know about this section. I just allowed results to go back to my GP, if your DVLA medical comes back clean, then it would simply being a medical going to your medical record. It could also be the results of the medical needing to go back if they want to talk to your GP for more information, but as I understand it, your GP just gets a questionnaire.

3) The six weeks. This is from the time the DVLA write to you to tell you who your GP is for which you get the medical, after you reapply. In fact, it tends to be 5 weeks, as it because DVLA tend to take a week to get the letter to you.

So. In essence you have 7 weeks from the time you return your application form for abstinence. It takes them two weeks to turn it around including one week for the letter to get to you and then 5 weeks to go the medical. In my experience and others on this board, this is enough to get a clear reading! (but highly dependent on what you were drinking and how often!)

In my own personal experience - I would get a private CDT test through Medichecks - it is reliable as I paid much more for a private hospital one and the test was the same. If this result comes back good, then get your application in straight away, don't delay. Or you will be waiting past your end of ban for your license back. Either way, you only need a month or two to get your CDT level down to normal. See the benchmarks and studies I posted, even the hardest drinkers tended to be down to 'green' levels of CDT for DVLA after a month. This also gives you a baseline for where you are right now!

I have a regimen of various supplements you can take that can help you mentally with being off alcohol - please feel free to PM me for details on this and any other questions/concerns you have - this is a very trying period and I really benefited from a couple members here (they know who they are :) ) in getting through!

You will get your license back, it's just a matter of time. It's just tough waiting. But we're all here with you.

Insurance was no bother. I got £330 from Zenith. This is like I dunno, 50 quid more than I used to pay? I don't do voluntary excess and add legal. Seven years no claim.

That's interesting. I blew 126, 2 year ban reduced to 18 mo. after doing the TTC course (and informed the insurance companies of all this). None came in under a grand, except Zenith, who came in at £330!
My insurance before conviction was £280 with Admiral - they (Admiral) refused to even quote me.
AND, my previous insurance was TPFT - Zenith said I had to take fully comp in order to get the Driving Other Cars (and business) bit - so my insurance hardly rose at all, and I got better insurance!

I'm resurrecting this as I thought some people might be interested to know - what else happens next after your license is renewed???

So, I was reissued my driving license on the 25th May 2016 - for a year. This was likely because in 2014, I had a detox.

Today, 2/3/2017, I've had a renewal through - so that's 12 weeks before renewal is due.

Basically, I had the medical forms through that accompany you on the medical that you have with the GP. A consent to release medical information as well.

The questionnaire asks if you've had any issues in the last three years - which of course, I did (June 2014), so I'm having to answer yes to these questions again, even though in the last 12 months, I've had no issues whatsoever.

I'll report in again what happens next. At a guess, I suspect they'll go to my GP again for medical release. I'll be kinda annoyed if they give me a one year license again, as there's been no further abuse, no changes since 2014.

Stay tuned......

White43
Many thanks for the update.
I passed my medical after my licence has been revoked for 1 year (April 2015-Sept 2016 the DVLA's year is not the same as the rest of the world).
Although I passed the blood test with a CDT of 1.3% they only issued me with a one year temp licence which I will need to renew Sept 2017. Will I need to do the full medical and blood test again do you know?
I am coming up to the one year period after they withdrew my D! licence for mini-bus and I just wondered if it was worth my while trying for that again. Although I did write to the DVLA and asked if I had much of a hope but they ignored my question.

Hello White43,

I was a 'lurker' until very recently but I read your thread with interest. I admire you for your honesty and the research you did helped me no end - I only wish I'd learned about this Forum sooner.

Anyhow I'm glad you have resurrected your thread because my licence was issued for 12 months and I wondered what the whole process of reapplying will entail. I'm guessing the 'useless' questionnaire from the Doctor and the more important blood tests. You know that saying 'do you want it in blood' well I'm afraid in our circumstances this is very true - in that the Doctor can say someone had an appointment in 2014 with a drink problem but its what is happening now that really matters - if your blood tests are OK it shouldn't matter what happened 2 years ago.

I understand the DVLA want to keep the 'likes of us' off the road for obvious reasons but unfortunately mud sticks - I could go on and on but I just wanted to say my experience was the worst thing ever. Sorry to waffle but my licence was issued on 8 January 2017 when it should have been issued on 3 February 2016 but my Doctor's report quite literally hung me. I was struggling but am in no way alcohol dependent and when I read threads on here very recently by 'Windsor' and 'Stupidgirl' I responded with my own experience.

If you could keep us updated on the 'temporary' licence application I would be really interested to hear what happens.

Thank you.

Hi there

I have my ban due to end on 1st of august this year & have to attend the medical ... all my answers will be no as I don't want dvla to dig into my medical records with my gp as will be some hiccups in last 12 months. Anyways I have quit drinking , started gym & supplements to help liver etc ... one question on the form I've seen is date last seen by doctor for this condition??? What ??? Is that for anything or just connected with alcohol . So if I put down on there seen within last 12 months will it trigger to look further ... I plan on passing green on blood Test & have a private ready to send off
Many thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off