The DVLA Medical test, CDT and an individual case study

Convicted Driver Insurance
I was prescribed yes, but I've always assumed that was for anxiety at the time??

That was some 19 months ago now. I don't feel I need to give DVLA a rod to beat me with. I've served my ban, did my community service and did the alcohol awarenesss course. I'm doing the medical. I am not drinking.

This guy was in the same boat : http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/general-discussion/64936.htm

He answered 'No' to everything and wound up getting his license back, no questions asked.

Go with your gut feeling then. If you're comfortable with your answers, then go for it. I have no doubt that you'll pass the blood test with flying colours so hopefully that will be the end of it and you won't be subject to any further enquiries. It would seem very unjust to write to your GP when producing such a low CDT reading. Librium is often prescribed for severe anxiety and/or alcohol withdrawal, amongst other things.

Good luck on the day (Tuesday?)! I'm sure you'll be fine!
Let us know how you get on..?

Go with your gut feeling then. If you're comfortable with your answers, then go for it. I have no doubt that you'll pass the blood test with flying colours so hopefully that will be the end of it and you won't be subject to any further enquiries. It would seem very unjust to write to your GP when producing such a low CDT reading. Librium is often prescribed for severe anxiety and/or alcohol withdrawal, amongst other things.

Good luck on the day (Tuesday?)! I'm sure you'll be fine!
Let us know how you get on..?

Having gone backward and forward on this for a couple days. I think I'll let the GP lead my answers to some degree:

When asked about 'Misusing or being dependent' on alcohol - I will ask for him to define that, because quite frankly, I don't know what that means to him or the DVLA. My 'no' could be a DVLA 'Yes' or vice versa. :confused:
The same goes for the question on alcohol detoxification programmes. I don't know if I was on one or being treated for anxiety. I went to the GP in a state and he prescribed medication.

Test is tomorrow (Tuesday) and it's 26 days to the end of my ban.

I really should stop looking at cars already. :D:D

Having gone backward and forward on this for a couple days. I think I'll let the GP lead my answers to some degree:

When asked about 'Misusing or being dependent' on alcohol - I will ask for him to define that, because quite frankly, I don't know what that means to him or the DVLA. My 'no' could be a DVLA 'Yes' or vice versa. :confused:
The same goes for the question on alcohol detoxification programmes. I don't know if I was on one or being treated for anxiety. I went to the GP in a state and he prescribed medication.

Test is tomorrow (Tuesday) and it's 26 days to the end of my ban.

I really should stop looking at cars already. :D:D

That's a good idea to get the GP to clarify. Go with the doc's interpretation. I was fortunate enough to be able to answer no to everything and even if they had referred to my own GP, I haven't been to see her in an age!
I've said so many times now, DVLA are hit-and-miss, random in fact. You're spot on with what you say, what you and I would say a yes to, they would say no! And vice versa!

I still haven't gotten a car!!
Fingers crossed for tomorrow for you!

So, my medical has now happened - here's how it went:

I was asked to arrive 15 mins earlier to fill in 'paperwork'.

Paid £118.20 in cash to the surgery - not particularly local, about 30 mins from my town.

I was asked to fill in the first side of the official form and then they had photocopied the second sides and I was asked to fill in those photocopies(as it makes life easier!)

When I saw the GP, she looked at my answers on the photocopied forms and basically confirmed each answer with me when filling in the official forms.

In the end, I said 'yes' to misuse/dependence and yes to a detox programme, as I decided I didn't want the stress of not telling provable facts or it somehow coming back to bite me in the backside. She never asked any questions about the yes answers. However, the question about 'Has your doctor advised you to drink less' - (where I'd initially answered 'no) she said I should answer yes as this would tie back to the detox programme. I queried it and she said "Well your doctor would have had to agree with you that you needed to drink less".

With the questions around current drinking - I said I drank a couple pints, maybe every six weeks and had never drank more than six units in the last year. Yes, this bit was b*ll****, but that can't be proved by DVLA or the CDT test. Rest of the form was 'No' as I don't do drugs.

There was then an alcohol dependence questionnaire(wasn't expecting that one). This was asking again about drinking habits in the last 12 months. This will get you a score by the end. Each question has answers that are scored from 0-5. I've seen these before - the higher the score, the more you're considered to be dependent. But I said no to everything, except for the question about someone telling me to cut down, but it wasn't in the last year. I scored about a 5, which is nothing to worry about.

Blood pressure, weight and height were all recorded. A physical exam took place where she listened to my heart, breathing and prodded around my liver and kidney areas. She said there were no issues.

Finally a blood test and signing the forms. She did ask if I had tattoos and when I had them done, I think this may relate to the quality of the blood. There was no urine sample.

She said they'd be sent today.

So that's that. I'm expecting DVLA to refer back to my GP based on the yes answers and I'm fully expecting a 'short period license' as that seems to be what happens if everything is fine but you've had dependence/misuse etc.

I will commence hassling DVLA from end of next week!!

So, my medical has now happened - here's how it went:

I was asked to arrive 15 mins earlier to fill in 'paperwork'.

Paid £118.20 in cash to the surgery - not particularly local, about 30 mins from my town.

I was asked to fill in the first side of the official form and then they had photocopied the second sides and I was asked to fill in those photocopies(as it makes life easier!)

When I saw the GP, she looked at my answers on the photocopied forms and basically confirmed each answer with me when filling in the official forms.

In the end, I said 'yes' to misuse/dependence and yes to a detox programme, as I decided I didn't want the stress of not telling provable facts or it somehow coming back to bite me in the backside. She never asked any questions about the yes answers. However, the question about 'Has your doctor advised you to drink less' - (where I'd initially answered 'no) she said I should answer yes as this would tie back to the detox programme. I queried it and she said "Well your doctor would have had to agree with you that you needed to drink less".

With the questions around current drinking - I said I drank a couple pints, maybe every six weeks and had never drank more than six units in the last year. Yes, this bit was b*ll****, but that can't be proved by DVLA or the CDT test. Rest of the form was 'No' as I don't do drugs.

There was then an alcohol dependence questionnaire(wasn't expecting that one). This was asking again about drinking habits in the last 12 months. This will get you a score by the end. Each question has answers that are scored from 0-5. I've seen these before - the higher the score, the more you're considered to be dependent. But I said no to everything, except for the question about someone telling me to cut down, but it wasn't in the last year. I scored about a 5, which is nothing to worry about.

Blood pressure, weight and height were all recorded. A physical exam took place where she listened to my heart, breathing and prodded around my liver and kidney areas. She said there were no issues.

Finally a blood test and signing the forms. She did ask if I had tattoos and when I had them done, I think this may relate to the quality of the blood. There was no urine sample.

She said they'd be sent today.

So that's that. I'm expecting DVLA to refer back to my GP based on the yes answers and I'm fully expecting a 'short period license' as that seems to be what happens if everything is fine but you've had dependence/misuse etc.

I will commence hassling DVLA from end of next week!!

I thought I'd mentioned the dependence questionnaire or the conveniently named 'Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test' (produces the acronym AUDIT). Sorry about missing that out. I scored 6 out of a possible/extreme score of 40 on that and was told that was perfectly fine, so your 5 is better!! Forgot to mention the tattoo question as well, probably because I don't have any. I was asked about piercings too..

My worry was about the provable facts, as you've described them. They can't tell if I went to the pub every other day or once back in August but IF I had been to my GP 18 months ago for citalopram, then that was something that could be discovered.

I know there's the stress of waiting for your results/outcome now but isn't it a relief to get it done and dusted? How was the doctor? Pleasant enough? I see your doctor was VAT registered, guess I was lucky that mine wasn't so my medical cost the basic £98.50..

Finally got that out the way!
I'm sure that even if you are sent to your GP, it will be fine. If CDT reading is low then they can't really argue the fact that you are misusing or dependent. Probably will just need the GP to confirm that you are fit to drive.
The doctor would have had to note if the blood was taken through a tattoo and it contaminates the blood BUT should not affect too much, just has to be noted.

Keep us posted on how the process goes though :)

Finally got that out the way!
I'm sure that even if you are sent to your GP, it will be fine. If CDT reading is low then they can't really argue the fact that you are misusing or dependent. Probably will just need the GP to confirm that you are fit to drive.
The doctor would have had to note if the blood was taken through a tattoo and it contaminates the blood BUT should not affect too much, just has to be noted.

Keep us posted on how the process goes though :)

Hey Lou - you got your shiny new license yet???

I shouldn't be sent to my GP - it's that they'll write to my GP asking about the 'Yes' questions I answered to. In the end, I just couldn't face 3 weeks of just saying 'No' and sh*tting myself if they followed it up. I know people have bigger balls than that, but I just couldn't. I don't need that stress.

I'm not particularly worried as my CDT tests have always been good, I had a a 0.7% a couple weeks before today! It's just the amount of time from here in. I'm fully prepared for something like a six week wait. (them to process and refer to my GP etc)

My own reckoning is that they can't really refuse me a license. My medical will be good, bloods good. But I said 'yes' on 3 questions. Looking at DVLA guidelines, it suggests that anyone who has a previous history of dependence or misuse will get a 'short period license'.

"If a high risk offender has a previous history of alcohol dependence or persistent misuse but has satisfactory examination and blood tests, a short period licence is issued for ordinary and vocational entitlement but is dependent on their ability to meet the standards as specified." (DVLA - as link above)

So I'm expecting a 'yes' but for maybe 1 or 2 years. I'd love to know what happens at the end of that. If I have to pay for another medical, I will be p*ssed!!!!!

For anyone following this thread - DVLA do give definitions for misuse or dependence on alcohol.
It's Here : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

I'm still looking at Mazda 3's 1.6. Any opinions?? :D:D:D

Hey Lou - you got your shiny new license yet???

I shouldn't be sent to my GP - it's that they'll write to my GP asking about the 'Yes' questions I answered to. In the end, I just couldn't face 3 weeks of just saying 'No' and sh*tting myself if they followed it up. I know people have bigger balls than that, but I just couldn't. I don't need that stress.

I'm not particularly worried as my CDT tests have always been good, I had a a 0.7% a couple weeks before today! It's just the amount of time from here in. I'm fully prepared for something like a six week wait. (them to process and refer to my GP etc)

My own reckoning is that they can't really refuse me a license. My medical will be good, bloods good. But I said 'yes' on 3 questions. Looking at DVLA guidelines, it suggests that anyone who has a previous history of dependence or misuse will get a 'short period license'.

"If a high risk offender has a previous history of alcohol dependence or persistent misuse but has satisfactory examination and blood tests, a short period licence is issued for ordinary and vocational entitlement but is dependent on their ability to meet the standards as specified." (DVLA - as link above)

So I'm expecting a 'yes' but for maybe 1 or 2 years. I'd love to know what happens at the end of that. If I have to pay for another medical, I will be p*ssed!!!!!

For anyone following this thread - DVLA do give definitions for misuse or dependence on alcohol.
It's Here : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

I'm still looking at Mazda 3's 1.6. Any opinions?? :D:D:D

Yes! Came through the post on Monday, glad there's no more worry now.

You will be absolutely fine, maybe just a little longer process but back on the road before you know it. When are you planning to chase up the DVLA to see where in the process they are?

Mazda's are a lovely car.

"I'm doing the medical. I am not drinking"

Then why have you spent close to £300 in the last 12 weeks on 3 private CDT tests to make sure you are under the required level?

That is not inductive of someone who is not abstaining prior to a medical.

M

I'd missed your rather snidey comment amidst the more helpful ones.

It's none of your business quite frankly.

Yes! Came through the post on Monday, glad there's no more worry now.

You will be absolutely fine, maybe just a little longer process but back on the road before you know it. When are you planning to chase up the DVLA to see where in the process they are?

Mazda's are a lovely car.

Excellent!!

I will start chasing I think from 6th May. They should have my CDT results then. I was told everything was being sent back the day of my test! When I known they've referred back to my GP, I'll chase him(my GP) then.

I er, bought a car!!!! Mazda 3. It was a bloody bargain. My partner will be able to to drive it until I can. I was surprised that I didn't quite have the elation on buying a new car - but that's probably because I don't have my license yet.

Insurance was no bother. I got £330 from Zenith. This is like I dunno, 50 quid more than I used to pay? I don't do voluntary excess and add legal. Seven years no claim.

Last edited:
Excellent!!

I will start chasing I think from 6th May. They should have my CDT results then. I was told everything was being sent back the day of my test! When I known they've referred back to my GP, I'll chase him(my GP) then.

I er, bought a car!!!! Mazda 3. It was a bloody bargain. My partner will be able to to drive it until I can. I was surprised that I didn't quite have the elation on buying a new car - but that's probably because I don't have my license yet.

Insurance was no bother. I got £330 from Zenith. This is like I dunno, 50 quid more than I used to pay? I don't do voluntary excess and add legal. Seven years no claim.

Well done with the car and your insurance sounds like a steal too. Cheaper than the last premium I paid before my ban!!
Let us know if you hear anything before May 6th.

Excellent!!

Get a signature across on email (I just scribbled on a bit of paper, took a photo and attached), for them to send your CDT levels and then you should get them next week through the post. Might be a good idea in case you have to discuss with GP or anything so you have the facts of the test.

Can't say no to a bargain can we! Insurance is good, mine isn't quoted much more than I was paying either, think an extra £150-200 - I was expecting it to cost an arm and leg!

Keep us posted anyway :D & go enjoy a nice bev this weekend, ching ching haha

UPDATE.

I was gonna leave it until Friday, but came home and decided it wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

So, they've received the questionnaire and blood results and confirm that they've sent me a letter that they are requesting more information from my GP - as expected. That's a pretty quick turnaround - it was last week Tuesday I went for the medical. So given the bank holiday, that's week and they're writing to my GP.

I've emailed my signature to them to request the results of the CDT test.

My GP is on leave until Monday(!), so will call him then and politely request his prompt response to fax them back the information!

UPDATE.

I was gonna leave it until Friday, but came home and decided it wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

So, they've received the questionnaire and blood results and confirm that they've sent me a letter that they are requesting more information from my GP - as expected. That's a pretty quick turnaround - it was last week Tuesday I went for the medical. So given the bank holiday, that's week and they're writing to my GP.

I've emailed my signature to them to request the results of the CDT test.

My GP is on leave until Monday(!), so will call him then and politely request his prompt response to fax them back the information!

Hi White
Good to hear another very quick turnaround of blood test results and questionnaire.
Shame about your GP being on holiday but that's the way it goes sometimes. Not disastrous though, he/she could've been away for a lot longer!!
You'll probably get your blood test results from DVLA before they hear from your GP so let us know what your result is.

Any news yet? :D

Well, I rang my GP this Monday gone and he had the form. Said that the last thing he could see alcohol related was July 2014, which was earlier than my stated Oct 2014. I asked him if he could fax it back but he said couldn't find the fax number!!!:rolleyes:

I rang DVLA yesterday. They'd had my request for my results but hadn't actioned them yet :rolleyes: also had anything from my gp but if he hard copy sends it in, could take three weeks to scan on the bloody system!!!

So no real news really, ban ends in nine days!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off