The DVLA just rang me!!

Convicted Driver Insurance

MaryM123

Well Known Member
I’ve got my licence back :) I’ve got a one year licence which I was expecting (and is right given my history). I hadn’t been expecting them to call and tell me though…the guy said he could see I had rung a couple of times and he wanted to let me know the good news as soon as possible.

Thank you so much to everyone on here for your help, expertise and shared experiences. It’s much appreciated.

I’ve got my licence back :) I’ve got a one year licence which I was expecting (and is right given my history). I hadn’t been expecting them to call and tell me though…the guy said he could see I had rung a couple of times and he wanted to let me know the good news as soon as possible.

Thank you so much to everyone on here for your help, expertise and shared experiences. It’s much appreciated.
Good for you , and good for them for calling .

Absolutely! I suppose it felt nice for the person who called me to deliver some goods news instead of you have to wait…
Congratulations!

How much time did you leave between your medical and calling the DVLA?

I applied for mine in February and only had my medical yesterday. I haven't been able to get through to them on the phone once in that whole time! Literally hundreds of calls just to be told "our lines are busy, try later".

As you can imagine I am keen to get mine back ASAP so will pester them as soon as is reasonable.

Hi, I applied mid April and had my medical June 26th. I rang the DVLA on 24 Aug and was told they had just made the decision to write to my GP. I called again on 23 Sept and was told they were still waiting for my GP - when I chased them they had just sent the report back, and then the decision was made 14 Oct.

On both occasions I rang on 8.15am and it took me about 40 mins to get the info I was after.

Good luck!

Hi, I applied mid April and had my medical June 26th. I rang the DVLA on 24 Aug and was told they had just made the decision to write to my GP. I called again on 23 Sept and was told they were still waiting for my GP - when I chased them they had just sent the report back, and then the decision was made 14 Oct.

On both occasions I rang on 8.15am and it took me about 40 mins to get the info I was after.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot. That's some wait you had!

I was hoping to have mine back for Christmas.

My dad said they are quicker if you pester them but I don't think he understands how hard it is to get through to them on the phone!

I'll give it 3 or 4 weeks then start calling.

Thanks again.

Good luck!
Hi. I think you have been quite lucky in terms of time taken.
I applied first week of March and they received my GP report on 10th August.
Still no word of either issuing licence or medical.
Hopefully hear soon though as come this Monday they should be looking at applications from 10th August onwards. I may still have to attend medical and then wait until that's done, processed and decision made.
Again, I think you have been pretty fortunate.
I don't think it matters if you phone them.
I'm pleased for you.

Hopefully hear soon though as come this Monday they should be looking at applications from 10th August onwards. I may still have to attend medical and then wait until that's done, processed and decision made.
I'm pleased for you.
I somewhat agree. I rang them twice in the 6 months it’s taken to deal with my application, purely to make sure nothing had been lost or misplaced to or from my GPS. I read some posts with people ringing everyday and i think that’s unnecessary.

I somewhat agree. I rang them twice in the 6 months it’s taken to deal with my application, purely to make sure nothing had been lost or misplaced to or from my GPS. I read some posts with people ringing everyday and i think that’s unnecessary.
You must have a more exciting life than me. I've got nothing better to do than phone them 😂.

It's seriously affected my job so I want to at least get that across to them.

😃😃 I was very lucky as it didn’t impact with my job…good luck, I hope you hear something soon.
Thanks. I'll update when I get it back so others know what to expect.

Surrendering my licence was the dumbest thing I've ever done, and this is coming from a man who tried to sneak out to buy booze by leaving the house through a top floor window on an icy night.

Not sure how I was planning to get back in, but I fell off the roof, knocked myself out and made such a loud bang that my mum opened the door to see what it was.

Surrendering my licence was the dumbest thing I've ever done, and this is coming from a man who tried to sneak out to buy booze by leaving the house through a top floor window on an icy night.

Not sure how I was planning to get back in, but I fell off the roof, knocked myself out and made such a loud bang that my mum opened the door to see what it was.
I think it’s easy to say that when you’re in a better mindset with your mental health. I think you did a really courageous thing being honest.

knowing everything I do now about readings the morning after and cdt levels it makes me wonder about so many drivers on the road who but for the grace of God aren’t where we are.

I think it’s easy to say that when you’re in a better mindset with your mental health. I think you did a really courageous thing being honest.

knowing everything I do now about readings the morning after and cdt levels it makes me wonder about so many drivers on the road who but for the grace of God aren’t where we are.
No, you're absolutely right. The limit is so low in Scotland that so many people must be driving over the limit the morning after.

I am an alcoholic so I did do the right thing and I've been off it for 18 months now.

Other than losing my licence, the last 18 months of sobriety has been the happiest time of my life!

No, you're absolutely right. The limit is so low in Scotland that so many people must be driving over the limit the morning after.

I am an alcoholic so I did do the right thing and I've been off it for 18 months now.

Other than losing my licence, the last 18 months of sobriety has been the happiest time of my life!
That is so brilliant. The progress you have made us worth it in its own right , quite apart from the fact it will help you get your licence back . Good for you 😃

I'm pleased for you.
Were you a DR10 NileR and or an HRO?

Seems surprising they wrote to your GP prior to asking you to take a medical.

How have you dealt with your addiction Pane? (Sorry, noticed after I'd posted this that you have been sober for 18 months - well done.)

You sound a bit like me just before my 2nd ban.

I joined AA and have now been sober for 27 months.

After I attended the drink driving awareness course, I realised that everyone who drink heavily on a Saturday night then pops out for the paper and a bacon roll at 10.00am on a Sunday morning is driving while legally drunk in Scotland.

Hi Luna.
I'm not any of the things you asked.
I do not have any convictions at all.
The last time they asked him to complete the form they also sent me for a medical.
I'm bi polar and admitted on the forms on 2019 that I had used cannabis for three weeks and as such was classed as a "persistent drugs misuser".
I then had several urine tests which I passed and a 1 year medical licence which expired in March 2020.
DVLA wrote to me in May saying they would be "writing to my GP before making a decion whether to issue a licence" and as this implied to me there was a likely hood of a licence issue based on his form rather than medical. the medical dept has had his form since August 10th.
Can I ask why asking for GP to complete forms before medical seems unusual?
Thanks a lot for your interest.

Hi Luna.
I'm not any of the things you asked.
I do not have any convictions at all.
The last time they asked him to complete the form they also sent me for a medical.
I'm bi polar and admitted on the forms on 2019 that I had used cannabis for three weeks and as such was classed as a "persistent drugs misuser".
I then had several urine tests which I passed and a 1 year medical licence which expired in March 2020.
DVLA wrote to me in May saying they would be "writing to my GP before making a decion whether to issue a licence" and as this implied to me there was a likely hood of a licence issue based on his form rather than medical. the medical dept has had his form since August 10th.
Can I ask why asking for GP to complete forms before medical seems unusual?
Thanks a lot for your interest.
If you have had a 1 year licence then you will be able to drive under Section 88 until they re-issue another licence to you.

This of course is provided the DVLA have received a properly completed application from you and that you and your GP are happy you have no other disqualifying conditions.

I can't imagine what it's like being bi-polar, but it can't be fun.

Here's hoping you get things sorted soon.

If you have had a 1 year licence then you will be able to drive under Section 88 until they re-issue another licence to you.

This of course is provided the DVLA have received a properly completed application from you and that you and your GP are happy you have no other disqualifying conditions.

I can't imagine what it's like being bi-polar, but it can't be fun.

Here's hoping you get things sorted soon.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I've been driving under S88 since April anyway.
I just want my licence back in my hand so I know how long my issue will be for (though it will be shown first on the licence checker website).
It would also mean I could purchase a new car if I wish. I can also provide a scanned copy to my insurers as technically I do not have a current driving licence.
As for the bi polar I'm absolutely fine and stable for years.
Thanks. All the best.

Had a medical and blood test to try and get my licence back following a drink driving conviction 5 years ago. I have been sent a letter say that they are writing to my gp for further information. Do this mean that I have passes the medical part. Would they really go to the trouble of writing to my gp if I hadn't?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off