The beginning of being caught drink driving

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thank you for your reply, so are we not allowed to hire cars even after our ban is up? I’m not looking to hire one I’m just worried for instance if I needed a courtesy car through insurance or garage work in the future? I don’t understand the end part of your message Sorry? Advice before I contact my work or? My lawyer said I don’t need to contact them as I haven’t been convicted but I’m an honest person and feel I should be telling them especially as they will notice I’m travelling by bus and not car to work. I checked my SSSC and pvg and it states they send me to a health professional to ensure I am fit to work with children. I may call them tomorrow and get that done before I’m convicted do you think I should?

You can't hire a car in the UK for 5 years after the conviction with the major rental companies. Abroad is a different story, some countries allow you to no problem, some it's 5 years since the date of conviction, some it's while it's still on your licence which is 11 years. It depends. A courtesy car provided by your insurance is a different story than a private hire, you will be able to drive one of rhem. Through a garage it depends on their insurance provider if they allow for convicted drivers on their business insurance.

Also you should be telling work at your earliest convenience, it'll sound a lot better coming from you than potentially being read off the courts section of the local paper. They will be much more willing to work with you if you are honest than if they perceive that you have tried to hide it, it's can be viewed as a bad reflection of professional integrity. I worked in a nursery when I was convicted and the conviction itself didn't lose me my job, they were more than happy to keep me that just didn't work out.

You can't hire a car in the UK for 5 years after the conviction with the major rental companies. Abroad is a different story, some countries allow you to no problem, some it's 5 years since the date of conviction, some it's while it's still on your licence which is 11 years. It depends. A courtesy car provided by your insurance is a different story than a private hire, you will be able to drive one of rhem. Through a garage it depends on their insurance provider if they allow for convicted drivers on their business insurance.

Also you should be telling work at your earliest convenience, it'll sound a lot better coming from you than potentially being read off the courts section of the local paper. They will be much more willing to work with you if you are honest than if they perceive that you have tried to hide it, it's can be viewed as a bad reflection of professional integrity. I worked in a nursery when I was convicted and the conviction itself didn't lose me my job, they were more than happy to keep me that just didn't work out.
My experience is also that informing work asap is the most prudent course of action. Many contracts, including mine, have a section about criminal offences etc. If I am honest, I thought I would try and keep quiet and see if I could essentially get away with it all. Foolish blind stupidity really. I just had to explain the situation to more people and it resulted in disciplinary. not down to the conviction, but to the fact I hadn't told them at time of charge (which is what my contract stated).
There aren't many employers who haven't come across this kind of thing before I should imagine. If you are genuinely contrite and honest - I doubt it would have a catastrophic effect on many forms of employment.

Thank you for your reply, I don’t hire cars but that’s great to know though so thank you. I’ll call my work tomorrow and inform them, I would feel much better informing them as well it will take a massive weight off my shoulders

My experience is also that informing work asap is the most prudent course of action. Many contracts, including mine, have a section about criminal offences etc. If I am honest, I thought I would try and keep quiet and see if I could essentially get away with it all. Foolish blind stupidity really. I just had to explain the situation to more people and it resulted in disciplinary. not down to the conviction, but to the fact I hadn't told them at time of charge (which is what my contract stated).
There aren't many employers who haven't come across this kind of thing before I should imagine. If you are genuinely contrite and honest - I doubt it would have a catastrophic effect on many forms of employment.
Thank you for your reply, I have been searching for my contract today but I can’t find it but I’m going to tell my work tomorrow, I know I won’t get away with not telling them as in Scotland the sssc inform the work place of a conviction, not an arrest but a conviction so if I tell them before it comes to that they are away when it shows up on it. I’m going to tell them tomorrow, I’ve not long been there although if it does cause me to be let go after my probation period then I have another job although I hope it doesn’t come to that.

Reactions: TPR
Thank you for your reply, so are we not allowed to hire cars even after our ban is up? I’m not looking to hire one I’m just worried for instance if I needed a courtesy car through insurance or garage work in the future? I don’t understand the end part of your message Sorry? Advice before I contact my work or? My lawyer said I don’t need to contact them as I haven’t been convicted but I’m an honest person and feel I should be telling them especially as they will notice I’m travelling by bus and not car to work. I checked my SSSC and pvg and it states they send me to a health professional to ensure I am fit to work with children. I may call them tomorrow and get that done before I’m convicted do you think I should?
Advice before contacting your professional body so you ensure you are aware of exactly how they proceed & how to deal with it. I know re NMC & boy I was lucky.
As part of my insurance it has a loan car but they know re DR10, it’s if you wish to rent post ban where there are issues. I did not tell my prof body until I was charged ie post court but I was released with no charge as they hadn’t my bloods so suggest seek advice. I know employers appreciate honesty

Just an update about my work, I spoke with them this morning and they said it doesn’t affect my work or my working ethic, she thanked me for telling her and she said as I’ve not been convicted just now it’s just waiting on supporting me through the process. She’s going to speak to her boss as it will be the SSSC who will be the ones who enquire about character reference and do a health check (ie to check I don’t drink all the time and it affects me while working with the children) I feel much better having told them and I found my contract and I did have to tell them. Now just await the court date and percussions.

Hey just wanted to update everyone, I received my case through today and meeting my lawyer in the next couple of weeks. It’s been 5 months since the incident so I’ve had the luxury of the car and freedom. Feeling really un nerved about the date now it’s here but it’s time to face consequences. I want to thank everyone for their help on this thread and I will update you after D Day and of my results. I’ve still not touched alcohol since the incident as it’s mentally scarred me. I’m due to start a new job also 3 days before court and I explained to them at the interview and was honest and open with them (I work in a school) and they were great with me and didn’t judge me at all. I’m really grateful I came across this site as it’s really helped with advice especially. We live and learn and I’ve truly learnt.

Hey just wanted to update everyone, I received my case through today and meeting my lawyer in the next couple of weeks. It’s been 5 months since the incident so I’ve had the luxury of the car and freedom. Feeling really un nerved about the date now it’s here but it’s time to face consequences. I want to thank everyone for their help on this thread and I will update you after D Day and of my results. I’ve still not touched alcohol since the incident as it’s mentally scarred me. I’m due to start a new job also 3 days before court and I explained to them at the interview and was honest and open with them (I work in a school) and they were great with me and didn’t judge me at all. I’m really grateful I came across this site as it’s really helped with advice especially. We live and learn and I’ve truly learnt.
Good for you. All the best 👍😃

Hi there

I'm South of the border so can't comment on the legal system in the North... however ...

Most if not all of us on here are here because we made that same mistake (just differing degrees). I, like you and again most of us went through that same gut wrenching feeling.

I blew higher than you and was in a real mental mess due to my screw up, I was 'fortunate' though that.... back in May....I had a court date set as I left the police station within a month of my charge.

The whole system isn't designed to be a pleasant experience....and let's be honest we were all there because we messed up....but it was my first time in court, and it actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting... and to be clear I pleaded guilty.

You will likely have heard this enough already but on the day of your hearing (assuming you intend to plead guilty), dress smart, be remorseful and let the system run it's course.

The main reason I am writing this is to say that personally once court was out of the way I immediately felt relieved, although the irony was that it was from then I immediately couldn't drive. And I hope the same for you that once court is done you have the same feeling...time to take your punishment and crack on. I'm 2 months into a 13.5 month (when I've done the course) ban and yes at times it's bloody annoying and damn inconvenient and frustrating and embarrassing..... but I'm learning to live with it, and I am sure you will too.

Also, this forum is awash with people - many of whom have already replied to you - who will give you honest advice. For many of us it was / is a space of the internet that we are glad we have found.

So ... chin up, best foot forward, iron your shirt, take this as a lesson like many of us before (and after) have done, and you will realise life hasn't stopped because of what you have done...for many of its it's been put on a pause with maybe a slightly different direction pending.

Best of luck on the day and hope it goes as well as it can. I'm sure like many of us have done by informing the forum what happens, we'd be glad to hear how it went for you

Cheers

Evening all

I honestly don’t know what to get from this but I have read through some of the forums and I’m just looking for some guidance, support and light.
I was charged yesterday for driving under the influence and my breath test was 42.02. They have said I have to wait on my court date which could be from now to well over a year -2 years due to Covid and the courts being so behind and stacked. I don’t remember them reading me the charges or even it all only parts and this evening is the only time I’ve moved from the same spot since I got released and brought home because I’m still in shock at my stupidity. The officers were brilliant with me, really calming, reassuring and they said they will be putting in the report about how well mannered, cooperative, polite and apologetic & distressed regarding it. They handed my keys back to me late last night and said not to worry and put it at the back or my mind as I can still drive as I have not been convicted and it could be a long time till this happens. I have spoken to a criminal lawyer and he says I will get 12 month ban (9 if do the course, which I will) and a fine, do you get points on your license too? He didn’t specify this? I accept full liability and I will accept the punishment to come for my stupidity but why can’t I stop crying and feel like I’ll never get through this? I’ve never been in trouble with the law, no previous driving incidents not even a parking ticket, I was terrified being in the process room and the whole process of it all and I still am I’m traumatised. I won’t be touching drink ever again, it's ruined my life. I work in childcare as a teaching assistant and I’m terrified I lose my job now because I will have a criminal record (I am sssc & pvg checked, I’m in Scotland). I think I’m just looking for reassurance that there is life after this, you can work in childcare still and my whole career I’ve had for 18 years is not going to taken from me because I made the biggest mistake of my life and I will suffer for the rest of my life. My mental health isn’t the best at times and I’m on medication for it especially anxiety, I want the court to be quick but it’s not looking likely as the officers said. If it’s in a year or over then I could have “done my time” by then but instead I could be having to wait over the ban time to then be convicted later than the actual incident if that makes sense. Does the embarrassment end? Does the tears end? Any advice anyone 😢
Hi there,sorry to hear about your situation.i hope my words will help you.yove made a mistake,but you have not injured anybody or had a accident.there is no reason why you should lose your job.dont worry about court date this will come and go in 15 mins.you will adapt to other means of transport and 9 months will fry bye.dont tell anybody who does not need to know but don't lie and don't worry if they find out.car insurance isn't to bad after a ban if you shop around.you will feel shame and hurt for some time but this will pass.if you can keep your job which am sure you will that's a good start.please don't think your life is over.hold your head high and be proud of who you are and what you have achieved.remember make the days count don't count the days.best of luck.

Nice to see your doing ok and i remember replying to you back in feb. You were very distressed at the time and the forum helped you though a bad patch back then. Good luck in your new job cheers les (y)

Glad you are in a better head space. Once court is over you start to move on as you know what you are dealing with. Keep your head high you made 1 mistake & will pay for it but don’t best yourself up any more you have done that
Take a friend to court it’s a long day hanging about

I was arrested in my house at 6pm....ferried to Govan police station (despite a traffic sub division less than a mile away) breathalised at 7.30 pm. no legal representation despite repeated requests, no phone call despite repeated requests as i was a carer for my elderly mother and needed care cover....I was charged on April 6th 2020, released on an "undertaking" at 5am April 7th 2020 to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on July 7th 2020......seems they operate in a different way if your face doesnt fit...(I had no Previous convictions or parking tickets either)..
I sympathise with you re the phone call. There does not appear to be a 'right' to a call. I was arrested at 6.00pm on a Friday, asked the police to call my wife and let her know but they didn;t and my son was running all over the town trying to find out what had happened to me. He eventually spoke with 2 cops who contacted the police station where I was being held and confirmed to him what had happened. As a DD, some if not most of them don't think you are worth the effort of any sympathy. I was held in custody for 3 nights before going to court on Monday morning and was transferred between custody suites. In the van was mostly you guys who asked me what I had done and when I told them, even they said they had no sympathy. Like you I had no previous convictions either.

Thank you for your reply, my lawyer has instructed he will put it forward that I wish to attend the course on the day of court. I spoke with my GP this morning and mental health nurse and they are going to put forward references for me also. Thank you that’s really helpful and I’m glad I can still attend one. I have attended court before as a witness but never on the opposing side but I always dress smartly but I will ensure that I do then too thank you, do they inform your employer as of date of arrest of the day you are convicted? I asked the police and they said there’s no need just now as I have not been convicted yet. The place of permanent employment ends in April but I will still remain on a pvg and the sssc due to me working in and around schools still. The doctor assured me that they can not sack me due to it but may be a little tougher to receive a new job. Does anyone know if there is a time limit on date of charge to date of conviction with DD? I know there is for some other cases but it doesn’t specifically explain what. Sorry for all the questions. And thank you for all your support though <3
When I told my Local Authority employer (also Scotland,) they said that as it was not a requirement that I be able to drive and would be discriminatory against non drivers, then they could not sack me. I would imagine that as a teaching assistant their is no need for driving licence.

Well done! I was honest with my employer and they were very supportive. My work is not to close from home and they will allow me to wfm moving forward anyway. I have not touched alcohol either, I don’t think I will be drinking again anyway. Good luck

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’ve had a few emotional days again but it’s the talking about it, bringing up the events of the night. I changed lawyers today (to a specific drink drive lawyer) and it seems there is a flaw in my case. Awaiting the date and he is entering a no plea deal. I have bought a push bike awaiting the outcome and set on the outcome, there is hope but just now I’m living on the ban. I’ll be sure to let you know the outcome although it will now might be in September. I agree with the comments regarding court, once that date has passed and no longer lingering I’ll adapt much better and mentally shut out driving as a part of my life. To reply to informing my employers, I don’t need to drive as part of my job no but I am PVG and disclosure Scotland checked so to stay true and honest I informed them instead of them finding out through random spot checks. Felt better letting them know. Thanks again and I honestly am so glad like the person said above we have this little side of the internet as a safe space xxx

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’ve had a few emotional days again but it’s the talking about it, bringing up the events of the night. I changed lawyers today (to a specific drink drive lawyer) and it seems there is a flaw in my case. Awaiting the date and he is entering a no plea deal. I have bought a push bike awaiting the outcome and set on the outcome, there is hope but just now I’m living on the ban. I’ll be sure to let you know the outcome although it will now might be in September. I agree with the comments regarding court, once that date has passed and no longer lingering I’ll adapt much better and mentally shut out driving as a part of my life. To reply to informing my employers, I don’t need to drive as part of my job no but I am PVG and disclosure Scotland checked so to stay true and honest I informed them instead of them finding out through random spot checks. Felt better letting them know. Thanks again and I honestly am so glad like the person said above we have this little side of the internet as a safe space xxx

They will all tell you there is a flaw in the case in order to get you signed up and locked in to their extortionate rates. Just be careful, the amount of people on this forum rinsed for over 10k then told to plead guilty on the day would make you think again.

Campbell1411, as Grice96 says, solicitors will always start off appearing to be very optimistic….. but as they will not yet have seen any actual evidence they cannot be certain that there is a ‘flaw’ in the prosecution case… or if there is, that it is sufficient to have the case thrown out.
For example sometimes a defendant says to the solicitor: “no I was not given a blood sample to have tested myself”. Now that is a flaw that can result in a not guilty result, but in reality the defendant was offered a blood sample but declined it. That is not a flaw, it only has to be offered, not given.
That can easily be tested yourself free, without a solicitor, by writing to the officer in charge at the police station where you were detained (giving your ID and date / time of detention) requesting a copy of your custody record and the custody video. This has to be supplied on request free and allows you to view the procedure to see if there are any ‘flaws’.
if there are glaring flaws then by all means consider spending £3000 + on expert solicitors, but don’t spend that amount on a “wing and a prayer” that something will be found.
I am very familiar with police procedure and the MDDD/A forms so if you want to, feel free to send me a PM with details about the alleged “flaw” and I will happily give you my thoughts on it.

Sorry should have clarified a few things, I am not paying for this lawyer, it is all been cleared through the legal aid board and approved from today. The lawyer I have now is not one I found on the internet. This is also the 7th lawyer is have spoken to over the week and the most realistic one! He was recommended by someone trusted by myself & family, who was in a similar situation as me although their situation was a tad more extreme. The flaw isn’t to do with the police or the procedure during arrest, maybe I should have said that so I don’t need cctv or any of that. The flaw is to do with the courts, frames and their paperwork, I can not remember the words he used but I’ll receive the paper work in a few days. As I said I am not expecting the outcome, i am expecting the worst as it’s the most likely outcome and have clarified and given instruction of the guilty plea if my lawyer doesn’t get what he’s going for. I have a firm understanding of it being a ban and a fine. My lawyer is going for the no plea first until clarification is given from what he is raising.

Sorry should have clarified a few things, I am not paying for this lawyer, it is all been cleared through the legal aid board and approved from today. The lawyer I have now is not one I found on the internet. This is also the 7th lawyer is have spoken to over the week and the most realistic one! He was recommended by someone trusted by myself & family, who was in a similar situation as me although their situation was a tad more extreme. The flaw isn’t to do with the police or the procedure during arrest, maybe I should have said that so I don’t need cctv or any of that. The flaw is to do with the courts, frames and their paperwork, I can not remember the words he used but I’ll receive the paper work in a few days. As I said I am not expecting the outcome, i am expecting the worst as it’s the most likely outcome and have clarified and given instruction of the guilty plea if my lawyer doesn’t get what he’s going for. I have a firm understanding of it being a ban and a fine. My lawyer is going for the no plea first until clarification is given from what he is raising.

The outcome will be worse doing this if found guilty as you will still be liable to pay court fees of £625 for a plea like this on top of your fine and ban, you also will find yourself at the higher side of the sentencing scale you fall into as you did not plead guilty. Legal aid does not cover these fees.

Almost all mistakes in court procedure the prosecution can ask the magistrate to ammend at your hearing. This solicitor is getting a free ride off a legal aid claim for his time.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off