The 90 day application process for the return of licence after 2nd drink driving disqualification

Convicted Driver Insurance

Coostietightner123

Established Member
Hi all, as per the subject matter. I have been advised by Swansea, and no it to be fact that the DVLA should issue you with forms to instigate the application process for the return of your licence, 90 days before your due date. I'm also an hgv driver.
I have a couple of questions, what is the 90 period for exactly?
Do I have my medicals etc during this time? So when my due date arrives I'm good to go? Hypothetically of course, as I know there is apparently a "huge backlog"
As per the undercover video taken at dvla recently.
I'm also assuming that my car licence and vocational licence will have there own separate medicals yes?
I'm also assuming that the traffic commissioner will probably make me wait a further 3 months possibly before the return of my hgv licence.
Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks

Hi all, as per the subject matter. I have been advised by Swansea, and no it to be fact that the DVLA should issue you with forms to instigate the application process for the return of your licence, 90 days before your due date. I'm also an hgv driver.
I have a couple of questions, what is the 90 period for exactly?
Do I have my medicals etc during this time? So when my due date arrives I'm good to go? Hypothetically of course, as I know there is apparently a "huge backlog"
As per the undercover video taken at dvla recently.
I'm also assuming that my car licence and vocational licence will have there own separate medicals yes?
I'm also assuming that the traffic commissioner will probably make me wait a further 3 months possibly before the return of my hgv licence.
Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks
In theory, the 90 days is to allow time for the process to complete.

In practice that will not happen.

Current timescales for licence returns are anything between 5 & 7 months and if very complicated, even longer.

Current timescales for licence returns are anything between 5 & 7 months and if very complicated, even longer.
Thanks for the reply, hopefully in the next 6 months or so, they may get there act together.
Not holding my breath

I think it's awful as many of us have payed the money to get the 25% knocked off and done the course. To be told that there's a back log and have to wait even more to get license back.

We still benefit from the reduction as the process starts 25% earlier than it otherwise would have .
You are correct Polly. It will still take longer even for those who have not completed the course. E.g you would need to wait and apply 90 days before the end of a 36 month ban instead of 90 days before the end of a 27 month ban. The 5-7 months to get your licence back will start from when you apply.

You are correct Polly. It will still take longer even for those who have not completed the course. E.g you would need to wait and apply 90 days before the end of a 36 month ban instead of 90 days before the end of a 27 month ban. The 5-7 months to get your licence back will start from when you apply.
Is it not the case that as long as your licence appears online, then you don't need to physically hold it before you can drive?

Once your licence has been re-issued, the online status is normally updated prior to you receiving a physical copy, so yes, you can drive from the valid date on the website.
I thought so, I just hope they get the online part right quicker than the delivery of the physical licence I'd be more than happy with that.

How long after medical does it appears online?? Any ideas pleasse
Depends on whether or not they write to your GP. My GP took 9 weeks to reply, so in total from my medical to getting my licence back was 133 days.

In total it took 201 days from applying (15th July 2021 - 10th February 2022)

Depends on whether or not they write to your GP. My GP took 9 weeks to reply, so in total from my medical to getting my licence back was 133 days.

In total it took 201 days from applying (15th July 2021 - 10th February 2022)
Horrendous. My application date is 8th September 2022. I'm hoping they have there act together by then.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off