Terminology confusion

Convicted Driver Insurance

Avantime

Well Known Member
So the good news is I have got my licence back. In the paragraph in their letter entitled "Our decision" they say the following. "As your medical condition, alcohol misuse, could affect your fitness to drive, thr law requires your Group 1 car or motorcycle driving licence to be subject to medical review. I am pleased to tell you that your driving licence has been issued. Your licence will be valid for 1 year".

So now I'm starting to look for car insurance and each insurer asks slightly different questions. Depending on how I answer these questions massively affects the premiums. Some ask if I have a medical condition licence and some ask if I have a DVLA aware 1 year restricted licence. How would you interpret what the insurers ask based on what the DVLA have said?

Some ask if I have a medical condition licence and some ask if I have a DVLA aware 1 year restricted licence. How would you interpret what the insurers ask based on what the DVLA have said?
You would have to answer both of these as, 'yes'. You now have a 1 year medical licence.

As far as being charged a higher premium, I was under the impression they can't do that, under the Equalities Act 2010, however I know that there are certain criteria that needs to be met in order for that not to happen.

I found the following online, which to me is as clear as mud; "Under the Equalities Act 2010, insurers cannot refuse coverage, raise premiums or increase an excess based on a driver’s medical condition if it was declared when the DVLA issued your licence. The only exception is if there is evidence of an increased risk e.g. as the condition changes over time." - does that mean when your licence was first issued, or issued after a disqualification?

Then again, the website also states the following: "Insurers are allowed to request evidence and information regarding your medical condition and are allowed to increase premiums if they believe that the chances of your causing an accident have increased. However, they must inform you of their reasons." - so I don't really know. It would be interesting to know if they are allowed to increase your premiums (I suspect they are, even if they have to do it using a different reason).

Congratulations on getting your licence back by the way :giggle:

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off