Taking a breathalyser test before a medical exam

Convicted Driver Insurance

anonymous4846

I crashed my car, 2 impacts into a bank before the car flipped 360, I had an intense nose bleed and was in shock, slightly disorientated regarding my surroundings and time. Police and ambulance where called, police arrived first, and asked for a breathalyser test before the ambulance had arrived. They didn't perform a medical check for concussion or anything. After I blew 43, they said i was under arrest, never placed in handcuffs, read rights, or taken to the station. My blood sample was taken whilst I was in the hospital, after being treated. I was placed in the back of the police car and ended up passing the ambulance that was responding to my accident. After the blood was taken, the police officers stated that they were releasing me, before I left the hospital and head back home.

Questions:
Can police ask you to take a breathalyser test without a medical check done beforehand after a car accident/crash?
Is it unusual to not be taken to the station after being arrested for dui?
Should I have been give a case number or any paperwork, aside from signing 1 copy of a consent form that they can take a sample of my blood?

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

To answer your questions,

It is debatable as to whether they should have given the roadside breath test or not, given your condition but even if they did not do it, it would not prevent them arresting you and asking for a full evidential sample.

No, it would actually be unusual to go to the station after an accident, if the airbags are deployed you would usually go to hospital.

Again, they should provide you with details of the officer etc. but they often do not. It is frustrating but would have no bearing upon the case.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Martin

Airbags weren’t deployed as the first impact was to the passenger side front wheel, followed by rear passenger side impact, ultimately flipping the car. I had a seatbelt on too.

So to clarify, considering the severity of the accident, it’s normal in similar situations, my blood sample would be taken at the hospital and not the station?

On the chance that this does go to court, in your professional opinion, do you think that my mental disorder, ADHD, would be mentioned, worse, used against me?

dvla are aware of my condition and that I take medication to deal with it, at the time of the accident tho I was not on them.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off