Surviving the drink driving ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

jimbo

I logged on here when I was caught driving marginally over the limt in January.

Court date was Feb 18th and that was the inevitable 12 month ban, fine and the rest. I notice most people come here when they first get caught and seldom thereafter. So, how have I survived?

I am lucky in that I work from home, but I need the car for work, or so I thought (travelling to see clients I mean).

Well. I have found out how buses and trains work. I have used taxis when necessary and I have probably saved a fortune in diesel fuel.

I get frustrated about the car sometimes but I manage. The time has passed somehow and next week I do the Drink Driving course (along with 4 other neighbours who got caught in the same police stakeout in the same week!)

Course done I shall get my licence back and return to driving a bit wiser. Bitter? Yes. I was caught bang to rights BUT the police stake out this village all too often as a soft target when they could be dealing with street violence at the other end of the borough. Angry and unfair I know but true. We are a soft touch and they hit their targets

I won't do it again, but one can get through it

Last edited:
Re: Surviving the ban

I logged on here when I was caught driving marginally over the limt in January.

Court date was Feb 18th and that was the inevitable 12 month ban, fine and the rest. I notice most people come here when they first get caught and seldom thereafter. So, how have I survived?

I am lucky in that I work from home, but I need the car for work, or so I thought (travelling to see clients I mean).

Well. I have found out how buses and trains work. I have used taxis when necessary and I have probably saved a fortune in diesel fuel.

I get frustrated about the car sometimes but I manage. The time has passed somehow and next week I do the Drink Driving course (along with 4 other neighbours who got caught in the same police stakeout in the same week!)

Course done I shall get my licence back and return to driving a bit wiser. Bitter? Yes. I was caught bang to rights BUT the police stake out this village all too often as a soft target when they could be dealing with street violence at the other end of the borough. Angry and unfair I know but true. We are a soft touch and they hit their targets

I won't do it again, but one can get through it

When I first got banned. I really did miss my car and didnt know how I was going to cope. You soon adapt and get used to using public transport and relying on friends and family for lifts.

It is still very unconvenient at times as a trip what would take 10 minutes in your own car, turns into half an hour or so at the least by the time you wait for public transport or arrange a taxi or a lift, but a price you have to pay for drinking and driving.

I'm three months into a 12 (-3) month ban and, despite thinking I'd really struggle, must say it's not affected me one bit.

I have started cycling (25 miles) to work which is actually quicker than driving as I'm not constantly sitting in traffic. It also means I'm not paying to park outside work which used to cost me (min) £6 a day. I also cycle between sites (4 miles apart) at least once a day. Doubt I'll ever use the car for work again!

Shopping now gets delivered which is something I'll also continue to do when I get the car back ... 5 mins on the computer is a lot better than 3 hours in tesco!

I used to use the car a lot for long journeys to visit friends around the UK but now use trains and have flown a couple of times. Again I prefer it because I can have a sleep or a read and I'm not sat cursing bloody traffic all the time!

All that being said I'm looking forward to getting my license back. Will be easier to go for days out with the family next summer!

I am 7 months into a 12 stretch but start course soon so should hope to be reduced to 9 and back on road in Jan.

Yes it is survivable but I must admit I cannot wait to get back on the road, I hate the way you have to allow so much longer for everything when using public transport, like poster above I love online shopping now though.

I think when I get my licence back I will have so much spare time on my hands (at least an hour and a half per day) I wont know what to do!!!

Anyone knwo best company to get insured with??

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off