'spiking' query

Convicted Driver Insurance

Nicolahowell

My partner and I had had a stressful weekend with his autistic deaf daughter and he arranged to take the Monday off work so we had Sunday lunch at my local pub, went home, met a couple of friends later in the afternoon at the pub then came home for a snooze then my partner wanted to watch golf. I made him a couple of lime and soda's but put some vodka in them because he had been so upset about his daughter.......he wasnt going back to his home so why worry.....I then realised a bottle of red wine was missing from the cupboard. I thought he had drank that. I too had been drinking wine (I dont mix because I cant) and we had a row. He got his keys to go home and all I could think about was him drinking the wine on top of the couple of guinesses he had had at the pub so tried to stop him leaving. He is much bigger than me so fighting him for the keys was futile. I begged him not to drive but he said he was fine...I forgot in my tipsy state about the vodka so he thought he was ok. I said if he left I would call the police which I did for his and others safety. I thought this would stop him driving but not so and he was arrested for drink driving. Two days later I found the missing bottle of wine down the side of the sofa with hardly anything missing. I updated police but told them about the vodka....I had forgotten to mention it before as I was drunk at the time. This is all in my statement. He has pleaded not guilty due to having his drink 'spiked' whish I honestly did not do maliciously. We go to trial on 23rd Sept and I shall stand and tell the truth that I did not add vodka to his drink maliciously, just to destress him and there was no reason for him to be going home. I would never do that as in my line of work I have to tell people that their relatives have been killed by drunk drivers. Not nice. I called them in an attempt to stop him driving but he had no reason to believe otherwise.I just thought he wouldnt drive. We have since moved in with each other and are now engaged. However, although he is on trial, can I get into trouble i.e. giving him alcohol without actually stating it to him? I am not on trial but am worried for my career etc. His barrister (stand in who was very rude) suggested I say I called the police maliciously which is ludicrous. I refused point blank and my partner has made a complaint against him...Any advice would be gratefully received as I am so worried.

If you spike someone's drink, knowing that they intend to drive, you commit an offence of permitting or aiding and abetting a drink driver. For this you can be prosecuted and, if convicted, disqualified from driving as if you had driven whilst over the limit yourself.

However, if you had no reason to suspect that your partner was going to drive when you added alcohol to his drink then you are not guilty of the offence and have nothing to fear.

Whether you did it maliciously or not is neither here nor there.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off