Some advice on insurance please guys...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Superdoopertom

Right so like everyone on here, that isnt a solicitor, ive made a silly mistake consequently im going to get banned and for about 12-18 months. Also much like everyone else on here my insurance is going to ****ing SKY rocket to a price that is literally a joke. :mad:

I'm 18 and should hopefully gain my 1st year of no claims this November. I am going to get banned this Thursday. My plan is just not to tell the insurers and let it run as ive paid it off in one go. come November they should then send me my certificate of no claims, and then ask me if i want to renew...

now correct me if i'm wrong. If I renew and then dont tell them about the ol' DR10 there is no chance of them finding out because I will never have to claim as the car is going to be sat in the garage or on the road for a year? Then when my ban is finally lifted i should have 2 years no claims? essentially what im saying is ill be paying £800 pounds for an extra years no claims, Thus giving me a better chance of insuring my car when im free to drive again...

I wont take a risk again with my license once the ban is up I WILL tell them about it...

constructive criticism only please...

Personally, i agree with the first bit. Let it run till Nov and earn first year bonus.

But i don`t think i would bother with the renewal. Your timings could work out but to keep it on the road (parked, i know) you`d still need to tax and mot it for another year, which just adds to the expense.

Also, further down the line, if you end up having a crash once your ban is up and do need to claim or someone needs to claim against you, your ins co. will want to see your documents inc. license and if it shows you had a dr10 way before and never declared it they will just void the policy. Leaving you with even more money to find.

Just my thoughts...

Yeah that my problem, I was wondering if the money I spend that year will be worth it when I come to renew...

Are you saying my ncb will be void? Even if I change insurers and don't stick with LV? I ask because I have already done the same thing with my bike policy. I have insured a crappy old pedal moped for like 50 quid until my ban is up :/

No, your ncb only becomes null or expired after not using it for two years. (with most insurers anyway).

What i`m saying is should someone hit your parked car (whilst on its ban) your policy will most likely be voided once the insurance company ask for your documents and see that you didn`t declare your dr10.

There is something called "laying up" a policy i think which means its still insured but the company know your not going to use it. Probably would have to be kept in a garage or on private property though. You`d have to double check this with some insurance person. Again. they`d want to know why you want it "layed up" though.

hth

my insurance is going to ****ing SKY rocket to a price that is literally a joke. :mad:

The high price of insurance won't be literally a joke. They don't quote joke prices.

If you insure your car for third party fire and theft and keep it in the garage, it'll be a whole lot cheaper.

You'll also save money on your insurance by declaring your car off the road for road tax purposes. Depending on your car's CO2 emmissions, a SORN (statutory off road notice) can save you a lot.

If you keep the drink-driving from them and then you have to make a claim for any reason (garage burns down, car is stolen etc.), they'll find out about your conviction when they do their routine checks, your insurance will be void and you might even face a charge of insurance fraud for providing false details.

I have never heard of this "laying up" procedure, but this is exactly what im looking for!

I have now been banned for 15 months as of the 08/09/2011

Say I let my insurance run as it is for another couple months then when it comes to renew in November I tell the insurance company that I want to insure the vehicle off the road. Will they give me a years no claims bonus for just having it sat there in the garage?

The guy is right. Believe me insurance prices are indeed a joke.

I am 19 and receive my license back in 2 weeks, I have got over 30 quotes from different companies and the cheapest I have got is tesco car insurance at a grand total of

£2745 for a 10 month policy on a 1.0, 2001, Vauxhall corsa (Comfort!!!!)

To top it all off, it's also under my mums name. Joke, in my opinion is a very nice word to use for these scumbag insurance companies. I would use something alot harsher.

Urghhh, Rant over.

Let me know how you guys get on, i'd love to know company names if you can find anything better. Cheers.

Hi there,
myself at the moment i found 1st central to be the cheapest.Found them on money supermarket.com or compare the market.com
Passenger.

Hi Guys
Right as far as I am aware according to my solicitor it is nigh on impossible to legally insure a car without a license!
The other thing is whoever is quoting 1st Central please please read the reviews on line regarding them. They continually came up cheaper on all myquotes but I decided to ignore them due to reviews and plumped with tescos at another £12 a month.

Insurance is a bit of a nightmare but constant shopping around and phone calls is a great way of saving money. I thought I would be jumping into a 1.0 litre something or other. But on Wednesday when my ban is up I will be jumping into my stunning and sporty BMW 316 se.

The other clever tactic with insurance if you speak to the companie is to phone them at the end of the month. They have targets to meet just like any other sales people ;)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off