Should I contact the police directly regarding the RTA?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Drew B

Well Known Member
I posted a question earlier where the other drivers insurance company is now requesting 50/50 split of costs - 2 months after my conviction. The letter the insurance company sent me was dated 2 weeks before I had received it. I spoke to them and they seemed to talking 'from a script', said they would contact the police requesting the info but that the police don't always keep dash-cam footage after a certain period of time, in which case I will be liable for the full costs.

Do you think it is worth me contacting the collision team directly anyway to advise that my old insurance company will be in contact and to verify they still have the reports/ footage?
Call me cynical, but I don't think I will trust the insurance to contact the police in a timely fashion to even get the info!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

they should be contacting your insurance company - I would just pass it on to them, let them get on with it , its what they are paid for!

Agree that you should be letting your insurance company deal with this - just forward on any letters to them.

The police will charge the insurance company for access to footage. Sometimes one side will pay if they think it will prove their case. Sometimes they agree to split the costs if there is genuine uncertainty.

In your case it seems unlikely they would bother if the other insurance company don't dispute the facts, but believe you would have taken evasive action if you were sober. One would assume at the moment the other insurance company are claiming you did not take reasonable evasive action because your driving was impaired.

However, your insurance company will argue the toss for you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off