Section 88 and insurance renewal

Convicted Driver Insurance

Oneyearnobeer

Well Known Member
Hi!
Wondering if anyone can help please?
I’m currently driving on a section 88 following my first year on a medical licence. I have reapplied but because of backlog etc I have section 88.
Now that my insurance is up for renewal I don’t know what to put for licence questions?
Do I have a medical issue that the Dvla needs to know about? Do I have a full licence?
I don’t want to give wrong information in case it invalidates insurance should I need to claim? Any advice greatly received from anyone else on a section 88
Thanks so much 😊

Hi!
I’m currently driving on a section 88 following my first year on a medical licence. I have reapplied but because of backlog etc I have section 88.
Now that my insurance is up for renewal I don’t know what to put for licence questions?
Do I have a medical issue that the Dvla needs to know about? Do I have a full licence?
I don’t want to give wrong information in case it invalidates insurance should I need to claim? Any advice greatly received from anyone else on a section 88
Thanks so much 😊
If you have the same medical issue that lead to your current one year licence then surely the answer should be yes to that? I would think that DVLA would say that you do have that condition. There is an online DVLA alphabetical list of medical conditions that state whether you need to inform DVLA or not.
I would check this out carefully then I would suggest calling your insurers and explaining your issue.
Given that you are currently driving under a S88 and a medical licence and you do not know how long your licence will be issued for you cannot assume it will be long term.
I'm on S88, one year issue and application is also pending which is the same as you.
My situation is the same as yours and I called my insurers, the only issue was because my licence had expired during the application.
Just give them a call. I would think they would just retain the one year issue until they receive further notice from you which you would have to do anyway. They may well ask you to call them once you find out your new licence details.

Hi!
Thanks so much 😊

Morning

I am in the same position as yourself. My one year driving licence expires on the 21st January 2022.

Your best bet is to get an online quote then speak to someone over the telephone from the respective insurance company.

I am going to book an appointment with my GP in early January in order to have a health check, so I am prepared for the Section 88 requirements.

One forum member on here has mentioned the DVLA have been sending out letters to people like ourselves advising we can use S.88 in the meantime because of the timescale it is taking to book a medical.

One or two insurance companies are insisting on seeing these DVLA letters as proof of using S.88, so this is something to be mindful of.

From what I know, most reputable insurance companies are fully aware of the chaos at Swansea, so they are making allowances for people using S.88.

CJ

Afternoon all, I think there are couple of tgreads on this issue and I have read them all but just picked the application form for reapplying for my licence after the ban.. there is section (see pic attached) that clearly states you can’t drive until you get your licence back if your had a drink driving offence …? Is this a new version of the form etc?

Guys just an update.. I applied to get my license back on 26th Dec.. the ban doesn't expire till 25th Feb...

the huge surprise this morning when the postman dropped my license.. so just updating this here that get your application over to DVLA via registered post, don't complicate things by changing details e.g. picture etc and I hope you get your licenses back ASAP and don't have consider S88 etc

Hey guys,

I sent my application off to the DVLA on 20th December and my ban expires on 8th Feb. I understand from DVLA website that they are still on 26th October w/c applications.

If my licence does not show up by 8th Feb, am I okay to drive? I just don't want to risk being pulled over without a licence if I have nothing to back up that it has gone in, as I feel like it is going to take another 3 months to come through. I have emailed DVLA and called them to ask, but have had no luck.
Section 88 on DVLA says that you can drive as long as it is after your disqualification period and you have an application in with DVLA. But I do not want to take any risks.
Can anyone advice please?

Firstly, are you a high risk offender (so have to do a medical before you get your licence back.
If you are, then S88 does not apply to you.
If you are not a HRO then S88 MAY apply to you, so long as:
DVLA have received your complete and correct application for your licence back. Note, not that it has been received but it is complete and correct,……. No signature missing, incorrect fee sent etc. I was advising someone recently who thought he was covered by S88 but 3 months after he applied, he got his application back because the eyesight bit had not been filled in properly. He had been driving for some time, believing he was covered under S88 so he had the next 2 weeks to sweat about a notice coming in the post from the police about a driving offence where he would then have to admit he had no entitlement to drive.
Then you have to have the support from your GP that he / she is happy with you resuming driving. Note that this is not “well he hasn’t told me to not drive (because I haven’t asked)” it needs to be an active process where you actually ask if you are fit to drive and the GO puts it in your notes.

Firstly, are you a high risk offender (so have to do a medical before you get your licence back.
DVLA have received your complete and correct application for your licence back. Note, not that it has been received but it is complete and correct,……. No signature missing, incorrect fee sent etc. I was advising someone recently who thought he was covered by S88 but 3 months after he applied, he got his application back because the eyesight bit had not been filled in properly. He had been driving for some time, believing he was covered under S88 so he had the next 2 weeks to sweat about a notice coming in the post from the police about a driving offence where he would then have to admit he had no entitlement to drive.
Then you have to have the support from your GP that he / she is happy with you resuming driving. Note that this is not “well he hasn’t told me to not drive (because I haven’t asked)” it needs to be an active process where you actually ask if you are fit to drive and the GO puts it in your notes.
I’m not HRO! I have booked a GP appointment next Friday (28th Feb) to confirm fitness to drive as well as didn’t want to take any risks.
How do you know that an application has been accepted and correct though?

Hi Price and others
Just a quickie, hopefully.
I received my new approved S88 application form today.
Just to ensure I am within the correct criteria is there a need to contact GP and receive another verbal that I am fit to drive?
He told me I was late April 2021 (it's on file) and my allocated GP report must also have said I was.
The call advisor never mentioned that I should, just said return the forms immediately, no mention of doctor.
He has already stated that I meet the required driving standards and my licence should simply be issued by dvla doctor immediately without medical etc
I am naturally a very cautious person who does not assume anything, I'm well known to "dot my I's and cross my t's".
Thanks very much
NileR

Each new S88 is an application in its own right so yes, I think you should check with your GP to make it watertight. A quick phone consultation rather than an actual appointment would suffice.

Each new S88 is an application in its own right so yes, I think you should check with your GP to make it watertight. A quick phone consultation rather than an actual appointment would suffice.
That's great Price, thanks for that. That's exactly what I thought, just seeking confirmation really and not wanting to take up doctors time unnecessarily.
Magic.

Hi Price and others
Just to ensure I am within the correct criteria is there a need to contact GP and receive another verbal that I am fit to drive?
He told me I was late April 2021 (it's on file) and my allocated GP report must also have said I was.
The call advisor never mentioned that I should, just said return the forms immediately, no mention of doctor.
He has already stated that I meet the required driving standards and my licence should simply be issued by dvla doctor immediately without medical etc
I am naturally a very cautious person who does not assume anything, I'm well known to "dot my I's and cross my t's".
Thanks very much
NileRH
I wasn’t aware that there was an actual application form for Section 88. Haven’t been able to find anything online on DVLA to request one?

I wasn’t aware that there was an actual application form for Section 88. Haven’t been able to find anything online on DVLA to request one?
There isn't really, it's simply the D1 application for a licence form.
Each application (and therefore S88 if you fit all the criteria) only lasts for one year.
My application has been with DVLA for nearly a year therefore my ability to drive under S88 will also expire at the same time.
I'm already on a S88 and waiting for new license issue.
My current S88 expires soon and DVLA have agreed that I can apply again in order that my application will essentially start again which means that I can effectively "extend" my S88.
You have to get personal permission from DVLA to do what I have done, you cannot just drive or do it yourself.

There isn't really, it's simply the D1 application for a licence form.
Each application (and therefore S88 if you fit all the criteria) only lasts for one year.
My application has been with DVLA for nearly a year therefore my ability to drive under S88 will also expire at the same time.
I'm already on a S88 and waiting for new license issue.
My current S88 expires soon and DVLA have agreed that I can apply again in order that my application will essentially start again which means that I can effectively "extend" my S88.
You have to get personal permission from DVLA to do what I have done, you cannot just drive or do it yourself.
Oh okay, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you ☺️

Hi Price and others
Thanks very much
NileR
Does this (maybe) mean your waiting has ended???

Does this (maybe) mean your waiting has ended???
Hi and thanks for the interest.
How can I answer : hopefully yes, but no and maybe nearly but its potentially positive.
Regarding the S88 new applucation, it is necessary because my current application has been with them over 10.5 months and all applications last one year hence reapplication.
My case is still waiting in the queue to be reviewed by dvla doctor and has been for over 5.5 months.
I called dvla a few days ago and the advisor told me that in his opinion and experience that it should not be much longer now.
The positive is that he told me that I will not have to wait for medical or other information as I fulfill all the required driving standards and the dvla doctor "should" just issue a new licence.
There does not appear to be any actual decision to be made by their doctor and the licence should just simply be issued immediately immediately.
He naturally cannot give me a timescale for the review queue though as I said he was confident in his opinion that I should not have to wait for much longer.
He sent me the S88 renewal forms essentially just to cover my back as my application expires on March 7th.
So hopefully soon but nothing to say how long, could be months more I suppose until dvla doc is able to review it.
Thanks again for the interest,
NileR

Hi and thanks for the interest.
How can I answer : hopefully yes, but no and maybe nearly but its potentially positive.
Regarding the S88 new applucation, it is necessary because my current application has been with them over 10.5 months and all applications last one year hence reapplication.
My case is still waiting in the queue to be reviewed by dvla doctor and has been for over 5.5 months.
I called dvla a few days ago and the advisor told me that in his opinion and experience that it should not be much longer now.
The positive is that he told me that I will not have to wait for medical or other information as I fulfill all the required driving standards and the dvla doctor "should" just issue a new licence.
There does not appear to be any actual decision to be made by their doctor and the licence should just simply be issued immediately immediately.
He naturally cannot give me a timescale for the review queue though as I said he was confident in his opinion that I should not have to wait for much longer.
He sent me the S88 renewal forms essentially just to cover my back as my application expires on March 7th.
So hopefully soon but nothing to say how long, could be months more I suppose until dvla doc is able to review it.
Thanks again for the interest,
NileR
Bestest of luck Only ignored my revocation for 7 months. Court not medical. Total tw++ts

Hey guys, me again haha! Which insurer is best for Section 88 driving acceptance? I’m assuming you have to call rather than do online and assume the insurance is accurate??

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off