Second HRO offence...second medical. Advice about how to play it?

Convicted Driver Insurance

delboy1234

Hello everyone.

Have spent a couple of hours browsing the forums and reading stories and trying to answer my questions using already published information but I'm struggling to understand a couple of things.

I was banned about 5 or 6 years ago, blew high so was HRO. I abstained for 3 months, did the medical and just answered the questions perfectly (no history, no mental health issues, drink once a month). Got my license back with 10 years on it.

Then, like an idiot, I failed to provide a specimen. Obviously HRO again on the fact that it was 2nd offence in 10 years, and failure to provide is HRO anyway.

I have my DVLA medical next week. I haven't had a drink for a year so that's all fine for the blood test. I am mainly worried about the questions I'll have to answer.

If I answer the questions like I did last time, what are the chances of my own GP being contacted to report on my case? As the questions related to the last 3 years, I have history of mental health issues around 2.5 years ago, relating to alcohol abuse/dependence.

My options are:

1. Lie on the questionnaire and hope they don't contact my GP.

2. Tell the truth, but then probably not get my licence back fully without constant DVLA nonsense.

Does anyone know what happens if you lie on the questionnaire, then they refer it to your own GP and the GP uncovers the fact you didn't truthfully answer it? It states at the bottom of it that it is a criminal offence to make a false deceleration. Just wondered what this meant in practice.

I'm torn with what needs to be done. If I tell the truth, the chances are they will ask me to abstain for another year. If I lie and get caught, it'll be the same rocky road.

I have read horror stories on this forum of people having to get a 12 month licence every year for 7 years etc. I don't want this looming over me for the rest of my life, I want to move on.

I would say I have approximately 18 months clear of anything negative on my medical record. But I'm scared that if I commit to telling the DVLA about any history, that it'll bother me forever.

Another question would be, do the DVLA routinely ask for a GP report for a person who has had two instances of a HRO offence?

I really need to know the risks of if I get caught being dishonest. I just want to get past this as quickly as possible and having the DVLA on my case all the time is just going to be stressful for years to come.

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm going to try and get some sleep now and stop worrying!

Del

Hi , I can't figure out what your situation is , you say you have your medical next week but then saying shall I fill in the questionnaire ?? You should have already sent that off if you are saying your medical is booked ?? Or are you on about a GPs , your own GPs medical ???

Hi delboy

You have nothing to fear being honest
I was under the DVLA spotlight over 6 years with 2 licences Ordinary and HGV and trust me they are super strict on the second
I was classed dependant 2013 and required to have 3 year abstinence for HGV at least(this auto gave HROstatus), got licence back after super effort regarding keeping contact with my GP etc , after 1 month of my full licence provided I was pulled on a DUI blew 87 another .5 and it was HRO again,

The post being I was HRO status when DUI but after my ban full 10 year BOTH licence , the DVLA are not that bad , they will take your doctors advice which is why I keep harping on about keeping in touch with your GP , they have thousands of cases every single day make there job easier with own GP notes

In a nutshell you already have red flags it's highly likely they might seek a GP report so just answer correctly and honestly you have nothing to fear but!

Having mental issues 2.5 years ago is perfectly ok providing you have seen your GP at least twice within that timeframe! Otherwise the DVLA are blind

Last edited:
Apologies, I meant will be able to book it next week (3 months until my ban is up). I haven't received it in the post, but last time I did it at the surgery? Has it changed?

Hi , I can't figure out what your situation is , you say you have your medical next week but then saying shall I fill in the questionnaire ?? You should have already sent that off if you are saying your medical is booked ?? Or are you on about a GPs , your own GPs medical ???

Craig

Thanks for the response. I have only been to see my GP once or twice between the last episode 2 and a half years ago. What do they expect of us when we go to the GP then? You just go there and have a chat and explain you're still in control of alcohol?

Reading your post makes me worry I'm going to have to keep going to my GP to keep the DVLA happy.

What would the DVLA do if I answer no to all the questions on the questionnaire, and then they still ask my GP for advice and find I've been dishonest? Will I be banned again?

Also, what happens if I do tick the box about having a mental health condition and the GP explains it was 2.5 years ago and no longer a problem. Do they issue me a years license? Does this affect my insurance premium for having a restricted license?

Super stressed about this wish I had done my research earlier as I could have gone to the GP a few more times to keep the contact there.

Thanks again for the replies

Hi delboy

You have nothing to fear being honest
I was under the DVLA spotlight over 6 years with 2 licences Ordinary and HGV and trust me they are super strict on the second
I was classed dependant 2013 and required to have 3 year abstinence for HGV at least(this auto gave HROstatus), got licence back after super effort regarding keeping contact with my GP etc , after 1 month of my full licence provided I was pulled on a DUI blew 87 another .5 and it was HRO again,

The post being I was HRO status when DUI but after my ban full 10 year BOTH licence , the DVLA are not that bad , they will take your doctors advice which is why I keep harping on about keeping in touch with your GP , they have thousands of cases every single day make there job easier with own GP notes

In a nutshell you already have red flags it's highly likely they might seek a GP report so just answer correctly and honestly you have nothing to fear but!

Having mental issues 2.5 years ago is perfectly ok providing you have seen your GP at least twice within that timeframe! Otherwise the DVLA are blind

Your over thinking things I've been there trust me!
Just pop along to your DVLa medical answer all questions honestly (from the information you gave nothings concerning) they may or might wish to contact your doctor due to the 3yrs history part, but for Ordinary licences(CAR) if your straight and narrow it's 1 year back checking, the 3 yrs questions are covered for pcv HGV taxi DEPENDANCY etc so no worries, if your clean and honest nothing to fear,
Just to calm things a little bit?

When I was HRO status dependant 3 yrs revoked then further banned 1 yr DUI , I honestly never thought any of my licences would be reissued and would of bitten the DVLA left hand to be given an annual licence! So what's your biggest fear if annual status provided.
And for info I was granted 10 yes both licences

Last edited:
Thanks again for the response.

Maybe I'm getting confused, but I am imagining it that I'll go to the DVLA medical, tick the yes box for mental health issues within 3 years. They contact the GP which opens a can of worms for serious mental health episodes over the last sort of 5 years of my life. At this point will the DVLA revoke me for another 12 months? Or will the 12 months I have been in control count as the period of abstinence.

By what I've read I can't work out if they ban you for an extra 12 months and see if you abstain, or if you already have been in control for 12+ months do they take that into account, issue a 12mo license and then ask for another medical at the end of that license?

I'm half tempted to wait another 6 months to apply for my license so that I can answer no to all the questions truthfully and obtain a full 10 year license as I don't really need to drive at the moment as I car pool with a colleague, or can walk to work.

Your over thinking things I've been there trust me!
Just pop along to your DVLa medical answer all questions honestly (from the information you gave nothings concerning) they may or might wish to contact your doctor due to the 3yrs history part, but for Ordinary licences if your straight and narrow it's 1 year , the 3 yrs questions are covered for pcv HGV taxi etc so no worries, if your clean and honest nothing to fear,
Just to calm things a little bit?

When I was status dependant 3 yrs revoked then further banned 1 yr DUI , I honestly never thought any of my licences would be reissued and would of bitten the DVLA left hand to be given an annual licence! So what's your biggest fear if annual status provided.

No no don't wait you are perfectly normal,
You will not get any further bans providing you can prove within the last 1 year stability helpfully backed up with GP report that all is fine, it's not to say they will even contact GP but ensure your ok with the fact it might happen.
Stability is not seeking help your GP is allowed to assess your driving and mental health issues if they state you shouldn't drive then that's facts,
The information. You have given is perfecty fine

Sorry for the late reply I've worked all day.

Do you think I am better waiting another 6 months before reapplying so that I can honestly answer the questions? I could tick no to them all in that case.

Or would be getting a 12mo licence be better, and then at the end of the 12 months do the medical again and maybe receive a 10 year licence from then?

Del

No no don't wait you are perfectly normal,
You will not get any further bans providing you can prove within the last 1 year stability helpfully backed up with GP report that all is fine, it's not to say they will even contact GP but ensure your ok with the fact it might happen.
Stability is not seeking help your GP is allowed to assess your driving and mental health issues if they state you shouldn't drive then that's facts,
The information. You have given is perfecty fine

Thanks again for the response.

Maybe I'm getting confused, but I am imagining it that I'll go to the DVLA medical, tick the yes box for mental health issues within 3 years. They contact the GP which opens a can of worms for serious mental health episodes over the last sort of 5 years of my life. At this point will the DVLA revoke me for another 12 months? Or will the 12 months I have been in control count as the period of abstinence.

By what I've read I can't work out if they ban you for an extra 12 months and see if you abstain, or if you already have been in control for 12+ months do they take that into account, issue a 12mo license and then ask for another medical at the end of that license?

I'm half tempted to wait another 6 months to apply for my license so that I can answer no to all the questions truthfully and obtain a full 10 year license as I don't really need to drive at the moment as I car pool with a colleague, or can walk to work.
Don't worry at all 're mental health , I've been diagnosed as having clinical depression and anxiety , I've been like this for

Don't worry at all 're mental health , I've been diagnosed as having clinical depression and anxiety , I've been like this for
Sorry the post sent without me finishing .. I'm on anti depressant and on Diazepam , they wrote to my gp and it's his report that has given me the green light in a way , I sent my medical questionnaire off , I answered truth fully I haven't had a beer for over five years , I was 3 times over the limit when I got banned hence I am a HRO, not worried at all about the CDT test , I've gotta do a urine screen too cause I was. truthful I'd used weed in the last three years , end of the day I'm going into the medical with no worries , I've not had to pay for it for one and if these tests are what they say I should have a low cdt reading and a negative urine test , if I fail I'll wanna know why obviously, but im not in no hurry for results , I want my license back for emgc purposes only , I've walked a lot of miles and wore down plenty shoe leather since 2015, my legs are still good for a few more miles yet . My ban certainly told me what my legs are for ! It's crazy how lazy you get when a car is parked outside your house and your going the shop that's a five minute walk in it lol ....you'll be fine budd

Sorry for the late reply I've worked all day.

Do you think I am better waiting another 6 months before reapplying so that I can honestly answer the questions? I could tick no to them all in that case.

Or would be getting a 12mo licence be better, and then at the end of the 12 months do the medical again and maybe receive a 10 year licence from then?

Del
No don't wait , 12 months license is better than waiting six to apply , get the ball rolling mate ....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off