Second HRO medical in 14 years

Convicted Driver Insurance

SapperGB

Hi,

5 years ago (this Nov) I was given a 5 year disqualification for a DR10 offence (blew 56) . Over 8 years prior to that I finished a disqual for a DR30 offence where I was as classed as a HRO and had to take a medical.

Despite that initial medical being almost 14 years ago and the he initial conviction being 16 years ago am I correct in assuming that I will be required to have another medical before November?

I’ve checked my license details on the .gov website and it shows no penalty points and the single DR10 disqualification.

In addition to this, in April 2017 I was signed off of work due to work related stress and to quote the doctors certificate “Alcohol Problem Drinking”.
The doctors certificate also says
“Has been referred to Alcohol Services and to be followed by GP”.

Now, at the time I went to see the doctor due to my stress and felt that I was using alcohol to help cope/sleep. I was open and honest and felt that a bit of support would have helped.

I never did get any referral nor was given a follow up appointment by my GP. - I was perfectly fine a few weeks later. I have had no other need to see my doctor since (this was my first appointment over the last 10 years).

I have abstained from drinking since June 2017.

I am wondering on how I should approach the medical that I suspect I will need to have shortly. I know I will be fine with the bloods but what about the questions?

Any advice would be great.

Well,

I’ve just phoned DVLA. This was to Change my address. The girl on the phone was lovely. I explained that I felt that I would be classified as a HRO and I believed that in this case I would’ve been sent an application to apply at my old address (ban expires 25th November). I was told there and then, after checking my details that a D1 application will be sent in the post after she hit enter on her keyboard.

She did say that if the DVLA required more information after the D1 was submitted then they would be in touch.

My dilemma now is - do I send the D1 off and hope for the best or do I try to avoid delays and contact them again?

Hi sapper GB my advice to you would be to complete your D1 and get it in the post asap as DVLA are experiencing some shocking delay times. I personally myself would be making an appointment with my gp to discuss you not having help to quit the drink and well done you otherwise there's a real risk of dvla classing you as dependent,but if you are this can be challenged as I did through my doctor and had it changed from dependant to alcohol misuse but of course all this takes time but is a far better outcome. The dvla will more than likely want a medical report from your doctor so it's a good idea to get a liver function test now with your doctor to support your abstinence which I'm sure you will fly and that it's recorded with your medical evidence...

Hi sapper GB my advice to you would be to complete your D1 and get it in the post asap as DVLA are experiencing some shocking delay times. I personally myself would be making an appointment with my gp to discuss you not having help to quit the drink and well done you otherwise there's a real risk of dvla classing you as dependent,but if you are this can be challenged as I did through my doctor and had it changed from dependant to alcohol misuse but of course all this takes time but is a far better outcome. The dvla will more than likely want a medical report from your doctor so it's a good idea to get a liver function test now with your doctor to support your abstinence which I'm sure you will fly and that it's recorded with your medical evidence...

Agree with honest man here, I made a thread about getting my diagnosis changed from dependence to misuse. If you don't think you were dependant, make an appointment with your GP and ask to have to changed to misuse as you feel it better reflects the reality of your situation. The worst the GP can do is say no.

Currently the DVLA are running about with there heads up there arse#
There so much confusion regarding HRO dependency abuse of any substance #
The Glasgow bin lorry incident is where I personally seen changes regarding your own GP advice(I have letters stating your GP acts advice no impact on your licence,
but times have changed#

ensure you stay in touch and have files on record

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off