S88

Convicted Driver Insurance

Calm

Well Known Member
My 1 year licence is due to expire in July, I have sent my application for renewal and completed the doctors questionnaire and sent this back yesterday.
If I have not received my licence by the time my yearly licence expires, can I drive under s88?. If so how do I go about doing this, how does this affect insurance.
Many thanks

My 1 year licence is due to expire in July, I have sent my application for renewal and completed the doctors questionnaire and sent this back yesterday.
If I have not received my licence by the time my yearly licence expires, can I drive under s88?. If so how do I go about doing this, how does this affect insurance.
Many thanks

Good evening.

To answer your question - YES - as long as you have been back on the road since your ban concluded, you are okay to drive under S.88. However, you do need to at least seek some sort of approval from your GP to use S.88.

I am in exactly the same position as yourself. My 12 month temporary driving licence expired in January 2022. My D1 renewal was posted last October, and I have only recently received a letter from the DVLA to state they are writing to my GP (again!). Almost like a fishing exercise to ensure there have been no slip ups on my part since they last wrote to my GP in 2020.

Given the chaos the DVLA is in, you could be waiting quite a while before you hear back from them.

CJ

Good evening.

To answer your question - YES - as long as you have been back on the road since your ban concluded, you are okay to drive under S.88. However, you do need to at least seek some sort of approval from your GP to use S.88.

I am in exactly the same position as yourself. My 12 month temporary driving licence expired in January 2022. My D1 renewal was posted last October, and I have only recently received a letter from the DVLA to state they are writing to my GP (again!). Almost like a fishing exercise to ensure there have been no slip ups on my part since they last wrote to my GP in 2020.

Given the chaos the DVLA is in, you could be waiting quite a while before you hear back from them.

CJ
Thanks for your reply

Update:
I just called dvla they have received the information from my GP in June. They couldn't give me anymore information. I presume I will need to go for another medical. I have also spend all day trying to get car insurance as I am now driving under S.88

Update:
I just called dvla they have received the information from my GP in June. They couldn't give me anymore information. I presume I will need to go for another medical. I have also spend all day trying to get car insurance as I am now driving under S.88

Calm

Its so frustrating mate. I would say once we are both through this second round of GP being contacted & a further DVLA medical, we should get a longer driving licence rather than putting up with the farce of another 12 month licence. We can but hope.

CJ

Update:
Your normal insurance still applies as long as you meet the section 88 criteria. Scanned onto the dvla system and an ok from your Gp to drive.

Just an update,my license expired in December of last year, DVLA finally offered me a medical after umpteen phonecalls over 6 months later!

The doctors in question could not offer me a date,so another batch of calls 3 weeks into my 12 week window I have been offered a new doctors (still fairly local) on the 18th of August, therefore 8 months late!

This has hindered my employment opportunities, due to not being able to get insurance through the said companies as not being a valid license holder (even though I am able to drive on S88)..

DVLA are a law unto themselves!

Makes 4 of us going through this shite on this thread. :rolleyes: Did you all get approval from your Gp to drive on a section88 first.

Just an update,my license expired in December of last year, DVLA finally offered me a medical after umpteen phonecalls over 6 months later!

The doctors in question could not offer me a date,so another batch of calls 3 weeks into my 12 week window I have been offered a new doctors (still fairly local) on the 18th of August, therefore 8 months late!

This has hindered my employment opportunities, due to not being able to get insurance through the said companies as not being a valid license holder (even though I am able to drive on S88)..

DVLA are a law unto themselves!

Chrism2800

Did you manage to get in with the Southport doctor again?

I am still waiting for an update after the letter at the end of May to state they were writing to my GP (again).

CJ

Chrism2800

Did you manage to get in with the Southport doctor again?

I am still waiting for an update after the letter at the end of May to state they were writing to my GP (again).

CJ
Yeah pal,they are at a new address,will post it when I get home,such a wait;

Makes 4 of us going through this shite on this thread. :rolleyes: Did you all get approval from your Gp to drive on a section88 first.
My GP said himself,or any other practice would not approve or disprove my ability to drive,as they are not covered by insurance,I raised this with DVLA medical team,and they said they would write to DVLA if they had any concerns..

My GP said himself,or any other practice would not approve or disprove my ability to drive,as they are not covered by insurance,I raised this with DVLA medical team,and they said they would write to DVLA if they had any concerns..
That is what my GP told me also that it was up to me.

Since the outcome of the Harold Shipman enquiry, many (if not all) GPs in the UK have drastically changed their working practices and decision making.

GP's will not say ''Yes John/Jane is okay to drive'', then John/Jane commit another drink driving offence and kill a pedestrian.

The GP doesn't want him or herself hauled in front of a Coroner or the General Medical Council to explain their decision which may ultimately cost them their career.

That is what my GP told me also that it was up to me.

This is exactly what my GP told me when I asked the same question.

Did they note it on your medical records you asked the question.

The old saying - if it hasn't been written down, it hasn't happened!!!!

CJ

Since the outcome of the Harold Shipman enquiry, many (if not all) GPs in the UK have drastically changed their working practices and decision making.

GP's will not say ''Yes John/Jane is okay to drive'', then John/Jane commit another drink driving offence and kill a pedestrian.

The GP doesn't want him or herself hauled in front of a Coroner or the General Medical Council to explain their decision which may ultimately cost them their career.

This is exactly what my GP told me when I asked the same question.

The old saying - if it hasn't been written down, it hasn't happened!!!!

CJ
So you are driving on a section 88 with just a verbal ok from GP

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off