Return of license

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi everyone,

I had a query and I cannot seem to get through to DVLA at all. My disqualification ends in July and I am in the process of applying for my license. I blew 57 and was charged with DR20, I was imposed a 12 month ban, reduced to 9 months after the DDRC. Would I be required to undertake a theory+practical test? I have not received any information from the court about this and had not considered this as a possibility.

Thank you in advance.

Hi everyone,

I had a query and I cannot seem to get through to DVLA at all. My disqualification ends in July and I am in the process of applying for my license. I blew 57 and was charged with DR20, I was imposed a 12 month ban, reduced to 9 months after the DDRC. Would I be required to undertake a theory+practical test? I have not received any information from the court about this and had not considered this as a possibility.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the club mate, the DVLA have recently had 2 4 day strikes, both falling on bank holiday weeks 'oddly' and consequently are now very behind. You have applied early so patience appears to be the only way. Your reading is too low to require any further tests unless you literally just passed your test. the only thing you can try is their new chat service - u will need to use your phone browser as it doesn't work on ie or edge, the address is contact.dvla.gov.uk/driving-license, have your license number and NI number handy and expect to wait to 'speak' to one of these guys.

Thank you, James. It has been so frustrating not to get through to them- as if going through the process is not penance in itself. I have been trying to do some reading around the matter and it says that the court would stipulate if a re-test was required. Nothing was told to me the day I attended court. I will try to use the chat service

Thank you, James. It has been so frustrating not to get through to them- as if going through the process is not penance in itself. I have been trying to do some reading around the matter and it says that the court would stipulate if a re-test was required. Nothing was told to me the day I attended court. I will try to use the chat service
I see that you had a dr conviction and a reading of 57, and that is your only conviction.
So unless the court stated that you have to retest then you do not have to resit your test.
The only time it MUST happen is if there is a conviction for dangerous driving.
It will happen if you are in Northern Ireland, everyone has to retake their test.
Other than that, the court occasionally order a retest for elderly drivers involved in a collision, or new drivers who have only just passed their test and perhaps need to start again (but Drink Driving is not a part of the 6 points and retest standard for drivers in their first 2 years as it carries a straight ban and no points)

I see that you had a dr conviction and a reading of 57, and that is your only conviction.
So unless the court stated that you have to retest then you do not have to resit your test.
The only time it MUST happen is if there is a conviction for dangerous driving.
It will happen if you are in Northern Ireland, everyone has to retake their test.
Other than that, the court occasionally order a retest for elderly drivers involved in a collision, or new drivers who have only just passed their test and perhaps need to start again (but Drink Driving is not a part of the 6 points and retest standard for drivers in their first 2 years as it carries a straight ban and no points)
Hi,

I blew out 61. I passed in 2019.I haven’t been to court yet but the anxiety of knowing it’s coming up is really daunting me. If my license is taken from me which it will but I will ask the court to allow me to take the course to reduce my ban. Once I get it back will I need to do my theory and driving test again?

Does the probation period work by years example 2019-2021 or by the month so March 2019 to March 2021?

The law for new motorists is that 6 points in 2 years from the actual date you passed your test means a resist of theory and practical tests. BUT drunk driving LG carried no points, so even though you will be disqualified, you will not have to resit your test.
There are rare occasions where the court order a retest because of the person only passed their test a few weeks before being caught drink driving and they feel there is a need for this to happen, but you would be told this in court.
I stress that this is not common, but you should be aware that it can happen.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off