retrospective appeals against conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Stanlaurel

Hi,

In 2003 i was convicted of drink driving (63mg in breath) and banned for 3 years as it was my second offence within 10years.

However, i was never happy about pleading guilty to this second conviction due the the circumstances surrounding it.

Basically, i called at the pub on the way home from work and drank 2 pints of lager and then walked home(between 4.30 and 5pm).Later that evening (9pm or later),having had nothing else to drink, I decided to go to the shop for some cigarettes.
Unfortunately, I decided to go on my scooter and on the way skidded on a wet manhole cover and crashed, knocking myself unconscious.

I was attended to by a gentleman who came out of his house after witnessing the accident. He called an ambulance and stayed with me until i 'came to' - although i was still extremely groggy. (he said my eyes were shaking and my lips were blue).

At this point, a local beat policeman arrived on the scene and proceeded to ignore my welfare, cancelled the ambulance and due to my mumbling/concussed state, decided i was drunk and arranged for a mobile unit to come and breathalyse me. When they arrived, again my injuries were ignored and i was bundled into the car and after blowing red, was taken to the police station, re-tested, chrged and locked up in a cell for the evening.

at no point was i given any legal or medical help, and when i was released the following day got on a bus and went straight to hospital where i was diagnosed with severe concussion.

on top of this, when i recovered sufficiently to become aware of what had happened, i became concerned about the reading being so high, 4 hours after only having drunk 2 pints, and it occurred to me that the gentleman who assisted me may have given me a drink to help bring me round.

although i've now served the ban and attended a DDrehab course, i still feel somehow cheated..and as i've just been made redundant, the endorsement is making it extremely difficult to gain further employment.

is there anything at all that can be done, or do i just have live with it?

thanks in advance.

edit: i forgot to mention that after the night in the cells, still with no medical attention, i was cuffed and taken directly to the magistrates court for a plea hearing...as i was still in a confused state, i pleaded guilty as advised in the 1 minute session i had with the duty solicitor.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off