regulated profession FCA etc.

Convicted Driver Insurance
Sorry I reposted the above in error I meant to reply to it 🤦‍♀️ I am a Paraplanner in financial services industry with a drink driving charge not yet convicted. I am relocating and will be looking for a new job in new city. Will all companies do dbs checks for a Paraplanner? I note some companies list that they do on their job advertisements. It’s first offence and clean licence for nearly 40 years. I don’t want this to ruin my career. If I disclose an unspent conviction at interview stage, what would the likely outcome be. If DBS check done prior to conviction and get a job would I need to then disclose it , would regular checks be done ? In my career to date I have only had dbs check done in my current job, a national company. Sorry for all the questions, I am just so confused as to how to play it. This was a stupid one off lack of judgement which is haunting me. Would really appreciate an advice from anyone working in IFA industry that can help me. Thanks in advance.
There is no reason that you cannot continue in the same profession, however you are legally obliged to admit to your conviction within the first 5 years if the employer asks (also in the case of taking insurance). I would not necessarily bring it up at interview stage unless it is asked on the application form, however if you are offered the job I would contact the HR department at your earliest convenience and bring it up, mentioning you made a major mistake and wanted to be upfront about it.

When I was working in the finance industry, they would do regular checks on more senior staff to check for criminal records, CCJ's, credit issues etc. as generally jobs at that level required an amount of trust, but people being up front were often offered help and guidance. Only once did I see someone sacked, he was found to have incurred a CCJ and not informed the employer and was deemed surplus to requirements as he couldn't offer advice to clients if he couldn't even control his own finances.

Sorry I reposted the above in error I meant to reply to it 🤦‍♀️ I am a Paraplanner in financial services industry with a drink driving charge not yet convicted. I am relocating and will be looking for a new job in new city. Will all companies do dbs checks for a Paraplanner? I note some companies list that they do on their job advertisements. It’s first offence and clean licence for nearly 40 years. I don’t want this to ruin my career. If I disclose an unspent conviction at interview stage, what would the likely outcome be. If DBS check done prior to conviction and get a job would I need to then disclose it , would regular checks be done ? In my career to date I have only had dbs check done in my current job, a national company. Sorry for all the questions, I am just so confused as to how to play it. This was a stupid one off lack of judgement which is haunting me. Would really appreciate an advice from anyone working in IFA industry that can help me. Thanks in advance.

I would have thought that if your a para there is less of an issue. I work in institutional brokerage and the FCA didn't really make an issue of it.
If your a authorized person, I'd suggest telling them asap.
As to job application etc. I think ( not sure ) a normal DBS check won't show the DD offence. However if your successful at the interviews and are made an offer I'd suggest letting them know, there is a high chance that they will not mind and appreciate your honesty.

I would have thought that if your a para there is less of an issue. I work in institutional brokerage and the FCA didn't really make an issue of it.
If your a authorized person, I'd suggest telling them asap.
As to job application etc. I think ( not sure ) a normal DBS check won't show the DD offence. However if your successful at the interviews and are made an offer I'd suggest letting them know, there is a high chance that they will not mind and appreciate your honesty.
Thanks so much for replying, am not authorised with the fca nor in a controlled function but I do carry qualifications from a regulated body. I was subject to a basic dbs check when I started this job and it will show on the check when I am convicted but as not convicted yet just charged it will not show currently. I tend to agree to wait until offer stage however it’s the shame of uttering the words but appreciate it’s a criminal offence not to disclose an unspent conviction to an employer but I would hate to lose a job because of it.

There is no reason that you cannot continue in the same profession, however you are legally obliged to admit to your conviction within the first 5 years if the employer asks (also in the case of taking insurance). I would not necessarily bring it up at interview stage unless it is asked on the application form, however if you are offered the job I would contact the HR department at your earliest convenience and bring it up, mentioning you made a major mistake and wanted to be upfront about it.

When I was working in the finance industry, they would do regular checks on more senior staff to check for criminal records, CCJ's, credit issues etc. as generally jobs at that level required an amount of trust, but people being up front were often offered help and guidance. Only once did I see someone sacked, he was found to have incurred a CCJ and not informed the employer and was deemed surplus to requirements as he couldn't offer advice to clients if he couldn't even control his own finances.
Thanks so much for your helpful response. I am not authorised so don’t think I fall into the regular checks. I agree disclosure is the way forward at offer stage but it’s so shameful and carries so much stigma.

Thanks so much for your helpful response. I am not authorised so don’t think I fall into the regular checks. I agree disclosure is the way forward at offer stage but it’s so shameful and carries so much stigma.
I would agree.. it feels terrible, I was wondering if I will have to leave the sector.

I've also had the boot on the other foot, when I was hiring a person.
They choose to lie and deny everything, even signing a declaration on the old Long Form A ( the document sent to the FCA ) , as a result the truth only came out when the FCA asked me twice what checks I was doing and then called me to give me a heads up to do more checks.
Finally the chap came clean, they had a undisclosed withdrawal of job offer, bankruptcy and Drink driving, by the time this came out I chose to hire them anyway, but if i had a experience again i wouldn't.

I'd imagine that many firms have had to deal with such a situation, and that disclosing to them earlier is probably the way to go

I would agree.. it feels terrible, I was wondering if I will have to leave the sector.

I've also had the boot on the other foot, when I was hiring a person.
They choose to lie and deny everything, even signing a declaration on the old Long Form A ( the document sent to the FCA ) , as a result the truth only came out when the FCA asked me twice what checks I was doing and then called me to give me a heads up to do more checks.
Finally the chap came clean, they had a undisclosed withdrawal of job offer, bankruptcy and Drink driving, by the time this came out I chose to hire them anyway, but if i had a experience again i wouldn't.

I'd imagine that many firms have had to deal with such a situation, and that disclosing to them earlier is probably the way to go
That is habitual lying! Up until this happened to me I would never have hired someone with DD so I am worried they won’t touch me with a barge pole. I was thinking perhaps going down the route of smaller firms with a bit more of a personal touch rather than large companies where you are just dealing with HR. As I am not authorised I don’t need fca approval it will be down to the company. I just want the uncertainty to be over it’s all consuming.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off