Refugee, british citizenship and unspent conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

lilly007

Well Known Member
hello there
i live in scotland and in 2007 i got a refugee status to remain until 2012, 2008 i got into an accident and with the panick and the shock of it all i did not provide a breath test properly as they said, so i got charged with failure to provide and suspected drink, recless driving, i got an 18month ban and a fine this was my first offence, im not sure as i was reading the rehabilitation period is 5yrs and by 2012 it will not be spent convictions to apply for indefinate leave, even to extend without indefinite im still not sure.

i aso dont know if having unspent convictions i wil have to ask for extension untill i am clear off these please help
anyone who has been through it or who might shed some light im desperate

Last edited by a moderator:
hello there
i live in scotland and in 2007 i got a refugee status to remain until 2012, 2008 i got into an accident and with the panick and the shock of it all i did not provide a breath test properly as they said, so i got charged with failure to provide and suspected drink, recless driving, i got an 18month ban and a fine this was my first offence, im not sure as i was reading the rehabilitation period is 5yrs and by 2012 it will not be spent convictions to apply for indefinate leave, even to extend without indefinite im still not sure.

i aso dont know if having unspent convictions i wil have to ask for extension untill i am clear off these please help
anyone who has been through it or who might shed some light im desperate

As you received a fine you are correct that your conviction will not be classed as 'spent' under The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 until a period of 5 years following your conviction.

I would advise you to contact The Scottish Refugee Council in order to find out any possible implications a criminal conviction may have upon your refugee status.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off