Referred to a doctor after medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

LouRob85

Hi all. I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light for me. I reapplied for my driving license back in November last year and understandably it's taken some time. I have declared to DVLA that I have a history of alcohol misuse and I was told I had to have complete abstinence for 12 months. I have 19 months free from alcohol now. I had my medical and I know for sure my blood tests will be fine due to the period of tota abstinence. Yesterday my case was assigned to a case manager (currently I'm calling the DVLA on a daily basis as I am desperate to be back on the road) so when I called again today, I am told that my case manager looked at my case today but has referred it to a doctor for a second opinion. I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this and is it normal? The guy I spoke to couldn't give me any information other than I shouldn't worry about it and I will hear very soon. But obviously I'm frustrated and upset and I just wish I understood better the reasons why this might be the case. I am fully aware that DVLA has a responsibility to make the correct decision with me and I fully support that, but I'm curious to know why this is happening considering I know my bloods are good and hoping someone may have had this experience and be able to explain. Thanks in advance

I think they may be referring for a decision on if you have proved what you need to prove to get your licence back.
You mention misuse, but then say you had to have ‘complete abstinence for 12 months’.
It seems that your were listed as being alcohol dependent, because misuse only requires 6 months controlled drinking.
Did you provide any evidence of abstinence? Such as LFT tests via you GP, or did you simple ‘self declare’?

One other thing, I understand your frustration, but please do not ring them every day for an update, it clogs the system up for others. Once a week is surely enough…….

I think they may be referring for a decision on if you have proved what you need to prove to get your licence back.
You mention misuse, but then say you had to have ‘complete abstinence for 12 months’.
It seems that your were listed as being alcohol dependent, because misuse only requires 6 months controlled drinking.
Did you provide any evidence of abstinence? Such as LFT tests via you GP, or did you simple ‘self declare’?
My mistake, it is alcohol dependency not misuse and yes it is recorded in that way. I have had blood tests within my clean time for other reasons and I asked for LFT's to be included for my own peace of mind, whether or not the DVLA was given that information by my GP I don't know. My doctor has my clean date, I stated my clean date on my application and again to the medical doctor as I was never asked to do anything other than be free from alcohol for 12 months. I have read other items from people saying they've been told to prove this but I never have, just to be clean. So I guess I have only self declared but will undoubtedly pass the bloods.

One other thing, I understand your frustration, but please do not ring them every day for an update, it clogs the system up for others. Once a week is surely enough…….
I appreciate that, however I am not responsible for other people's persistence in their own matter nor would I try to tell someone else how many times they should or should not call. The advisors at DVLA have told me it's ok to call daily as that is the fastest way to find out as I am in the final stages now so I will continue to do so. The lines are always busy for me too but I keep trying because this is my life and it's important to me. If anyone is in the same boat they can keep trying like I do

You will find out by checking the DVLA licence checker as this is updated before you are told yourself.
As someone who helps many people on here, I find your actions to be very selfish…. “I want to find out for me, and I don’t care if it holds up other people getting through.” If everyone starts ringing daily, no one will get through.

You will find out by checking the DVLA licence checker as this is updated before you are told yourself.
As someone who helps many people on here, I find your actions to be very selfish…. “I want to find out for me, and I don’t care if it holds up other people getting through.” If everyone starts ringing daily, no one will get through.
Not the case though is it, an advisor has already told me that it takes up to 48 hours and I have been checking that anyway. When it is my place in life to put others before myself then I do, however in this case I am only fighting for myself! Who are you to tell me how many times I can call the DVLA 🤷🏻‍♀️ I call daily and I get through, my one phone call is not stopping anyone else calling if they try hard enough like I do! As I stated above, my responsibility for my license is my own as everyone else's is theirs! Call me selfish or whatever you like, I call it passionate ☺️

Ok, then you will get no advice from me on here. Why should I be generous with my time when you only consider yourself, but asked others to help you by coming to this site. Goodbye.

Ok, then you will get no advice from me on here. Why should I be generous with my time when you only consider yourself, but asked others to help you by coming to this site. Goodbye.
I'm not asking you to be generous with your time nor did I ask you to tell me what phone calls I can make. You may well be here to help others and that is your choice, I'm sure many people have been grateful to you for that. But asking a person to consider the entire UK when it comes to a matter like this is quite frankly laughable. I will guarantee I am not the only person that calls on a daily basis, there will be thousands! So when I think that my daily phone call is affecting hundreds of lives across the UK, I may cease to call 🤷🏻‍♀️ thank you for your input and have a great evening

I was in almost exact position
19 month sober and not seen my Dr in all that time.
I had three lft tests done in five months before the cdt (on the recommendation of someone on here) which I am sure helped.
the dvla after my 0.9 cdt result asked me to meet my Dr and answer some more questions. Thankfully I did this quite quickly and got a12 month licence back only 3 weeks late.
good luck to you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off