Reasons for not driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

techra

Hi there,

Just wanting a bit of advice. I have been disqualified for drink driving, although I was not actually driving I was sat in the car, there is a back story. I have been advised to appeal but later.

However, I am concerned for my mother who is 93 and in a rural area, obviously I can't now take her out with no car, but she wont see her friends as she feels ashamed of me. I have had over 40 years of accident/claim free driving but that counts for nothing. Does anybody have any stories of how they have coped.

thanks in advance.

I am sure others will advise you how they have coped, but I just wanted to point out that “I have been advised to appeal, but later” should not be much later, you only have 21 days to appeal against a conviction in the magistrates court. After that you have to get permission from the crown court to make an appeal, but this is not often granted unless it is for reasons beyond your control, or for some facts that were not known within the time normally allowed.

I think you have to accept that once you get your license back it's going to be a daily terrifying battle for people who still drink . The best you can do is minimise the odds by removing the scenarios that could lead to you potentially drink driving. Little things like not driving to social events, giving the keys to your O/H or friend if you are drinking at home, if you know a binge is coming on and it's Inevitable make sure you have enough supplies/ booze/ cigarettes that you don't have to go out for more. Both my stops and subsequent arrests were late at night going for more cigarettes or wine?

The obvious one would be to go with a family member or friend who can drive and go out together.

Or you could just ask your Mum what she wants to do. We used to keep taking my grandmother out from her home but eventually realised she doesn't actually want that, she is settled and actually just wants people to visit then go home before she had her tea.

Im similar to you. I wasn’t driving either when caught, but I admitted I had been, so got done for it. Same decades of claim free Motoring. I’m lucky that no-one who knows is actually ashamed of me - they do think I was stupid, and that it was absolutely my fault, but they all still support me. It is very few people who know, though. Are your mothers friends even likely to know? Perhaps you can persuade her that nobody else will know? As far as I am aware, despite being reported in the local paper. I don’t think anyone but the 10 people I told know. Perhaps you can persuade her that many people make mistakes, far worse than this. Coping with the ban has its peaks and troughs. I found it very helpful to keep a record of all the things you have to complete, and tick them off. Court, done ... community service.. done. Driving courses... done. Now a long wait ... counting down the days - looking positively as it’s only XXX days until I get my license back. The downsides are finding out things you didn’t know would happen to you, and realising just how difficult things are going to be, not for 1, 2 or 3 years... but for the next 10. If you have chance of an appeal then get it done! The sentence/ban/punishments are only the beginning, and consequences won’t end at the end of your ban.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off