Reapplying for driving license after drink drive ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

HannahCooper

Hi,

I am able to apply 90 days before my driving ban is lifted.

DVLA are no longer posting application forms but I will see if the post office have one.

Does anyone know if the DVLA are dealing with applications ? If not does that mean there will be a delay on me driving?

I also need to have a medical which I believe they have been placed on hold?

Can anyone help me please with any information you have I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Hi,

I am able to apply 90 days before my driving ban is lifted.

DVLA are no longer posting application forms but I will see if the post office have one.

Does anyone know if the DVLA are dealing with applications ? If not does that mean there will be a delay on me driving?

I also need to have a medical which I believe they have been placed on hold?

Can anyone help me please with any information you have I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Hi Hannah

Check out my thread: https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/coronavirus-for-hros.123835/

I received a letter from the DVLA that states that they will not be taking medical applications until June.

I’ve also spoken to the DVLA and they advised me that they are not dealing with any form of application unless it comes from someone directly involved with helping the country with Coronovirus (NHS workers and HGV drivers)

You aren’t likely to get a response from the DVLA until June I’m afraid.

The DVLA aren't dealing with applications unless you are a key worker for the NHS or seeking a HGV licence. All medicals and driving tests, both theory and practical have been cancelled. There is still some HGV testing in place to get more lorry drivers on the road to deal with demand.

All of the information can be found here, sorry to give you the news but it will definitely be another few months on top of your ban until this is all sorted out-

Hi Hannah
Hi Hannah

Check out my thread: https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/coronavirus-for-hros.123835/

I received a letter from the DVLA that states that they will not be taking medical applications until June.

I’ve also spoken to the DVLA and they advised me that they are not dealing with any form of application unless it comes from someone directly involved with helping the country with Coronovirus (NHS workers and HGV drivers)

hey,

thank you for your response.

so sorry to hear your current situation :-(

not sure if you can help with a few more questions but I’m due to get my license back end of July.

The earliest I can reapply is May, if I manage to get a form shall I apply as normal?

thank you

hey,

not sure if you can help with a few more questions but I’m due to get my license back end of July.

The earliest I can reapply is May, if I manage to get a form shall I apply as normal?

thank you

No you can't apply as normal in May, the DVLA are currently saying they aren't accepting applications until June. That date is assuming that this situation is cleared up by June, with many professionals saying that isn't likely. The waiting list for medicals will be a 3 month back log by June also which is to be considered. Hopefully they are back up and running sooner rather than later.

hey,

thank you
Your welcome, you may be ok if you’re due to get it back in July which is good news! My advice would to be send off your application form as soon as possible. I’m guessing the DVLA have in place some sort of que system with paperwork so the sooner you can send off your application the sooner you will get a response regarding your medical (hopefully!). I’m guessing your a HRO if you have to have a medical. Just so you are aware, as I didn’t know this initially, you are meant to completely abstain from alcohol for a month before your medical to pass. If you don’t pass you can’t reapply for another year so definitely something to stick to!

Your welcome, you may be ok if you’re due to get it back in July which is good news! My advice would to be send off your application form as soon as possible. I’m guessing the DVLA have in place some sort of que system with paperwork so the sooner you can send off your application the sooner you will get a response regarding your medical (hopefully!). I’m guessing your a HRO if you have to have a medical. Just so you are aware, as I didn’t know this initially, you are meant to completely abstain from alcohol for a month before your medical to pass. If you don’t pass you can’t reapply for another year so definitely something to stick to!

I can't answer for England, but there is no queue system in place in NI under the DVA NI (our branch of the DVLA) fees (cheques and postal orders), photos and proof of identify are being returned to applicants. You've to send your proof of NHS employment in with the application for it to be processed.

I was wondering if anyone can help me I’m currently going to do my dad course in September all being well I know that after my conviction insurance will be a stinger but I am browsing just to see what the prices maybe I’ve never had my own insurance so I know to expect a quote of at least 2500 for that but when typing my convictions my quotes are coming up at like £8000 for the year on the compare website I just want to know if this is. Right and also I live in Bradford so if anyone could recommend where I should look that would be great as my friends ensurars that I know have all just refused me I don’t know what to expect as I know some said there insurance only went up slightly ??

I was wondering if anyone can help me I’m currently going to do my dad course in September all being well I know that after my conviction insurance will be a stinger but I am browsing just to see what the prices maybe I’ve never had my own insurance so I know to expect a quote of at least 2500 for that but when typing my convictions my quotes are coming up at like £8000 for the year on the compare website I just want to know if this is. Right and also I live in Bradford so if anyone could recommend where I should look that would be great as my friends ensurars that I know have all just refused me I don’t know what to expect as I know some said there insurance only went up slightly ??

It depends on your age and what sort of car you're trying to insure. If you have never had insurance in your own name before then these quotes are about right for anyone under 25 for larger vehicles. My car that I was driving for £800 a year before my ban was coming back at £7-8k depending on the price comparison site. With no driving experience in your own name and no no claims bonus you're in the worst possible spot for someone with a ban.

The only thing I could suggest is, when you're looking on price comparison sites make sure you put the length of ban and fine in but change the date so the ban is already over, that way you will get accurate prices for your age/car with your ban already served. The 8k quote may be because you put your proper ban date in and you're still appearing to be banned to the insurer.

I can only talk of my experience, I’ve been driving for 8 years my insurance was £750 a year and now I’m being quoted £1000 on confused.com with my conviction added so it hasn’t gone up drastically. I was banned for 6 months for refusing a breathe test.

i am 28 I know it’s a bad situation having no claims bonus etc but I’m looking to see if anyone knows who will be reasonable to approach for a quote my first quotes before where 2 and a half with me not having my own insurance but surely not everywhere will be 7-8 I’ve put my van details in on the right date and early aswell so the ban looks like it’s up but it’s still really high

Sorry mate, I couldn't even get temporary insurance on a van after my ban they were looking 1.2k for 2 weeks!! I'm 24 now and still can't get quoted for a van with my ban, well I can get quoted it's just every quote is over 4k. Is it just a van you've been quoting or have you been trying any 1.0/1.2 litre cars? The slower the better.

I don’t want a van I want to buy a car so I’ve just browsed some vehicles online took the reg and used them but the insurance is for the year but there all between 6 and 8 surely there has to be one less somewhere as the fed course is supposed to help ??‍♀️

I don’t want a van I want to buy a car so I’ve just browsed some vehicles online took the reg and used them but the insurance is for the year but there all between 6 and 8 surely there has to be one less somewhere as the fed course is supposed to help ??‍♀️

Get a quote on a 1.0 VW Up, it is the cheapest insurance group car there is. The price you get for that car will be the best price you'll be able to get for insurance full stop.

Unfortunately, some people are "uninsurable" after a ban, with no main driver experience and no no claims bonus to combat the price of the premium you're left stuck. A friend of mine found that he couldn't get insurance for less than £3k after his ban, due to losing his NCB in a crash since he needs his car he pays it. There's no real tricks to getting it down mate, the best price I was able to get by over £1k was on confused.

When I was originally looking for my first insurance quote once I knew my license was in the post, I was quoted about £700 for a 1.2 Polo with 1st Central - it’s not the best car around, but it does the job and saves having to fork out for insurance and loan repayments for something I can’t justify getting until my conviction is spent.

I was with 1st Central before I was banned and they do have some of the cheapest quotes out there without having to fit a black box. I’ve never had a policy in my name before so I thought the price was pretty decent for someone with zero NCB and an unspent conviction.

I’m due up for my third renewal in a few months time, and the price is now down to just under £150 for the year, up front all in one go without having to declare my conviction which will be in July this year.

MM

Last edited:
When I was originally looking for my first insurance quote once I knew my license was in the post, I was quoted about £700 for a 1.2 Polo with 1st Central. I was with them before I was banned and they do have the cheapest quotes out there without having to fit a black box. I honestly can’t speak for commercial vehicle quotes however.

I’m due up for my third renewal in a few months time, and the price is now down to just under £150 for the year, up front all in one go without having to declare my conviction which will be in July this year.
Yes 1st appear to be the cheapest I was with them for 12 years before my dg10.they are also coming in at the cheapest with my dg10 convition.

Yes 1st appear to be the cheapest I was with them for 12 years before my dg10.they are also coming in at the cheapest with my dg10 convition.

Their customer support is very good - I’ve never had to wait in a queue and they extended my overseas cover free of charge, which saved me £50 or so. I’ve had some time to read the small print, and there are no clauses which would leave you open to being shafted should anything arise in the future.

Unfortunately, they don’t come in cheapest for the next car I have lined up, which is sad seeing as though they were the ones who got me back on the road stress free and for a reasonable price considering the other options out there.

Performance Direct are another one that I have been with in the past (only as a named driver) who allowed me to be insured fully comprehensive on a 4.2 for only £150 on top of the base quote which seemed almost a bit too good to be true to start with. Coincidentally, PD comes out the cheapest for what I plan to get next.

Last edited:
Their customer support is very good - I’ve never had to wait in a queue and they extended my overseas cover free of charge, which saved me £50 or so. I’ve had some time to read the small print, and there are no clauses which would leave you open to being shafted should anything arise in the future.
Do you know about there no claims bonus,is it 2 or 3 years it's valid for with them

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off