RAC Drink Driving Advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

jimdavis

Banned
The RAC drink driving advice page states the following:

Figures released by the Institute of Advanced Motorists suggest a drink-driving conviction would cost between £20,000 and £50,000 once you’ve taken into account fines, loss of income, legal fees and higher insurance premiums.

I'm not sure if this is accurate advice from my own personal experience and others I know who have been prosecuted for drink driving.
Comments welcome.

That quote is from 2013, so I suppose the figures could be even higher now!
This is what the calculations were based on. You will see that they quote higher insurance premiums for 11 years, which is incorrect as the conviction is spent, for insurance purposes, after 5 years.
It is also based on you being unemployed for 15 months, whereas if you lose your job, there is nothing to stop you getting another one.
Against that, if you went to “mr Loophole” - Nick Freeman - to represent you, his charges START at £10,000 not £4,800.
I suppose that ,is why they say £20-50k. - and they haven’t factored in writing off your car where the insurance company refuse to pay out, or they chase you for their costs to the other motorist. (I had one person on my course who had the settlement figure through that week from Admiral insurance who wanted £200,000. He said “ridiculous, I would have to sell my house to raise that” their answer was: “when are you putting it on the market?”)
Oh and don’t forget, since these figures were put together, the “maximum “ fine has been done away with, and it can now be unlimited, as Ant McPartlin found out last year when he was fined £86,000.

The IAM has calculated the cost of a drinking and driving conviction at £50,800 as follows:
  • £5,000, the maximum fine (source: DfT)
  • £4,800 in legal fees, the industry average charged by solicitors for a not guilty plea at trial (sourced by IAM)
  • £8,000, the increase in insurance fees based on the average premium for a young man aged between 20 and 24 calculated over an 11-year period, the amount of time a drink driving conviction remains on your driving licence (source: moneysupermarket.com)
  • £33,000 in lost earnings, based on a period of 15-months, the mean driving disqualification after conviction, for someone earning the average full-time salary of £26,500 (sources: ONS and DVLA)

Pretty accurate regarding my costs estimated 30k over 2 years, and I might pay an even higher price in the near future if the company make the expected redundancies I inadvertantly placed myself to the front of that Q!

Price can you elaborate on the guy who was with admiral? What had happened?
I must be very naive but surely they couldn’t take a persons house?!
Was the guy prepared to go bankrupt?

I reckon I'm down about £40k from my offence - £2k in solicitors fees and the rest from 2 years of lost earnings when I was doing a Masters degree which is about £19k a year for the average wage nowadays

Price can you elaborate on the guy who was with admiral? What had happened?
I must be very naive but surely they couldn’t take a persons house?!
Was the guy prepared to go bankrupt?

Hi Tess,
Yes you can loose your house for a debt as small as £1000 if the claimant applies for a CCJ and a Charge Order secured on your property. The claimant can apply for an Order For Sale if the debt isn't paid. Alternatively the claimant can apply to the court for an attachment to earnings to re-pay the debt.
Just over two years ago I lost my house due to a debt of £1,890 from water and sewerage arrears accumulated whilst I was unemployed and receiving no benefits. My house was valued at £250,000 and I owned it outright.

Hi jim
Thanks for your reply. God that sounds awful.
I hope things are looking up for you.
If you don’t mind me asking had all revenues for repayment been exhausted at that point for you?
I’ll be looking at a much higher amount to repay when all the dust settles and plan on offering a payment plan.

Hi Tess,

To answer your question, yes all avenues for repayment had been exhausted.
Shortly after I lost my house I received my occupational works pension with a huge cash lump sum
which would have paid the debt many times over. Sadly it was too late.
I eventually moved to Wales where houses are far cheaper.
I wish you all the best with your repayment plan.
Please let me know how you get on.
Take care.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off