?Questions and answers of dr1v medical. ?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Oh I know, I saw him fill out that form himself actually. He asked for my gp details then went through some questions on the form

Oh I know, I saw him fill out that form himself actually. He asked for my gp details then went through some questions on the form
You should have been given time to fill in form b4 blood test. That's the Normal a procedure. The form itself is a potential trap if you don't know what the acceptable parameters are relating to alcohol questions.

You should have been given time to fill in form b4 blood test. That's the Normal a procedure. The form itself is a potential trap if you don't know what the acceptable parameters are relating to alcohol questions.

I had my medical done at the Averley medical centre in Essex. He presented me with 4 questions only. When did you last have a drink? when you drink how much do you consume and are you healthy or on any medication. To which I answered, mid June, seldom drink maybe once every 3 months and when I do its only 2-3 beers. Lastly I stated I was healthy and wasnt on medication. I could see he was ticking all the no boxes on the form. It lasted about 30 secs if that.

I had my medical done at the Averley medical centre in Essex. He presented me with 4 questions only. When did you last have a drink? when you drink how much do you consume and are you healthy or on any medication. To which I answered, mid June, seldom drink maybe once every 3 months and when I do its only 2-3 beers. Lastly I stated I was healthy and wasnt on medication. I could see he was ticking all the no boxes on the form. It lasted about 30 secs if that.
Driver87
I had the exact same scenario at Aveley nearly 2 weeks ago. Skinny tall funny hair Asian chap. Nice guy to be fair.

On that basis you'll be fine

My medical was with that guy at Aveley on Thursday 9th July.

Rang DVLA today and blood results were put on system yesterday. Wouldn't tell me the results over the phone but I know it will be very low as I quit drinking 15 months ago.

They've not got the form he filled out uploaded yet though so until that's scanned the medical department cannot review.

It's coming...I can feel it lol 15 weeks since i first sent the D1 application in!

Rang DVLA today and blood results were put on system yesterday. Wouldn't tell me the results over the phone but I know it will be very low as I quit drinking 15 months ago.

They've not got the form he filled out uploaded yet though so until that's scanned the medical department cannot review.

It's coming...I can feel it lol 15 weeks since i first sent the D1 application in!
Hello mate what time did they say was on system as I rang them around midday yesterday and they said nothing come through yet,

Exciting times for everyone. That guy at Aveley said about 2 weeks before I can expect to hear from DVLA. Out of interest are you classed as a key worker?

Hello mate what time did they say was on system as I rang them around midday yesterday and they said nothing come through yet,
Hiya pal

I didn't ask the time but they are working up until 7pm at the minute to clear the back log so could have been anytime up until then.

They are also working tomorrow scanning and uploading stuff so hopefully it gets done this weekend then they can make the decision next week.

I am classed as a key worker but its not really done me any good so far as I have had to constantly fight, ring and complain non stop.

Hiya pal

I didn't ask the time but they are working up until 7pm at the minute to clear the back log so could have been anytime up until then.

They are also working tomorrow scanning and uploading stuff so hopefully it gets done this weekend then they can make the decision next week.

I am classed as a key worker but its not really done me any good so far as I have had to constantly fight, ring and complain non stop.
Nice one ?

Good morning

I'm in the last few months of my ban now - hoping that come mid December I will finally be able to put the keys in the ignition and legally drive again.

I am a convicted HRO and already I am preparing for the medical. Just a bit about my background - I suffered with depression in 2013 and I was first referred to the doctor with alcohol problems in early 2014. Between 2014 & 2019 I had a really bad time of it - I was admitted to hospital three times with alcohol related issues and numerous visits to the GP. On reflection, I suspect I may even have been suffering from undiagnosed PTSD and used alcohol as the coping mechanism.

My arrest for drink driving in February 2019 was probably the icing on the cake and was waiting to happen for a while. This came about following a bereavement and a relationship breakdown at the end of 2018 and start of 2019.

Despite the arrest & conviction, followed by 100 hours community service, I still continued drinking and in July last year I suffered a mini seizure resulting in yet another hospital admission. This was caused by drinking up to ten litres of neat vodka in about three days.

I then spent a week in a rehab clinic - an experience I would not wish on my worst enemy. I eventually put my last pint glass down on the 3rd August last year (2019). To be frank, my documented medical history with alcohol misuse or dependancy is dire.

My 12 month sobriety anniversary is now approaching. I have had 3 x LFTs done at my own request to document my abstinence from alcohol. I have also asked my GP to document the date of my last drink.

Regarding the HRO medical I am eager to be open & honest about my history. I do not want any low ballers catching me out - my plan is to put all my cards on the table and declare my history. If I do this - there are no come backs or criticism from the DVLA.

The purpose of my thread is to query the following -

a) as I am classed as someone who is/was dependant on alcohol do I have to go into the whys/wherefores of my alcohol problems as far back as 2013?

b) do I declare the date of my last drink and say I have had zero units since then - this is the truth anyway.

c) given we are now living in a world governed by the Data Protection Act and of course the GP's Codes of Practice in patient confidentiality - does you doctor only release restricted information anyway about your medical background?

d) is there an additional form to complete during the medical? I understand there is the D1 or D27 that needs to be completed to request the HRO medical that you complete at home and the send off in the post.

e) finally, have the DVLA got their act together yet? I understand they were not processing medicals for non key workers during the Covid19 lockdown. Any updates on this?

None of us on here can turn the clock back. I do need to get back on the road come the end of the year. I am anticipating a 12 month temporary licence is my best possible outcome given my medical history which to me would be fantastic.

If anyone can answer my questions it would be much appreciated. I just want to ensure nothing holds up the process to get back on the road.

Regards

CJ

Cj 1980

That was very honest and a moving thread, you should put that on it's own post as I'm sure you will get a lot more feed back.?

Hi cj, once DVLA `are notified of your alcohol issues through your GP then what usually happens is that a refusal will follow, the letter will state because of your alcohol dependence you MUST NOT DRIVE, once you have received this letter then you can appeal by the sending all your medical evidence to the FURTHER MEDICAL EVIDENCE ROUTE, be prepared to attend a number of DVLA appointed medicals through the course of a year regarding your medical history, the more severe the history the more medicals are attended before returning your licence, for me personally I attended 4 DVLA medicals throughout `the year making sure each CDT level was decreasing across the year, I was deemed alcohol dependant/misuse in 2006 and `also investigated me for anxiety and my medication, DVLA have a strict process that does include a lot of paperwork between your GP yourself and DVLA, they will not issue a licence until all medical evidence has been thoroughly tested, don't despair you will get your licence back but it takes time and patience and they will push you to the limit and beyond in some cases, my case from start to finish took 14 months in total before my licence was granted back, good luck and stick with it.....

Honestman

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused about this now. 'You must not drive' or a 'refusal to drive'? I can't drive anyway because I am banned!?!?!?! As far as I'm concerned - I am banned until I pass my HRO medical and the DVLA are satisfied with me.

I knew a while back that I would need to ensure I get 12 months sobriety under my belt in order to pass the first hurdle with the DVLA.

What I can't understand is what you said about the various medical appointments that can last over a year?

I was anticipating a very robust medical appointment around September/October time in which the DVLA would then contact my GP. I understand as I am a HRO this is a 90 day process.

I haven't a problem with this - I have nothing to hide and like I said I have had my sobriety documented with a scan and 3 x LFTs since last summer (a 4th one is booked next month).

I am desperately trying to get my licence back by December 2020 when I am eligible again - this will conclude my 21 months off the road. I was originally banned for 28 months on the 27th February 2019 but this was reduced to 21 months after I successfully completed the TCC course.

The worrying thing about this now is that I need my licence back by the end of the year!!!!!

I have been fortunate enough to get myself a job with an understanding employer but if I don't get my licence back by the start of 2021 then there is a real danger that I might be given another P45 which would be catastrophic especially in the current climate of mass unemployment caused by Covid19.

I cannot do anything more than what I am doing already in staying well away from alcohol and making sure my sobriety is well documented.

CJ

Yes everything you have done is perfect and correct and the right way about getting your licence back, what I am pointing out is DVLA are NOT aware at the moment that you had alcohol issues, once they know this then the ball game changes again, they can and often do send you for more than 1 medical don't just assume that 1 medical `= licence more often than not in cases like yours and mine 1 medical may count as PART OF your medical history as they consider putting you back on the road, alcohol issues come with severity levels at the DVLA mild/severe for alcohol dependence and your GPs input is for guidance, however DVLA will treat you according to their level,(how much of a risk you are) and may send you for a number of medicals until they are satisfied that you no longer pose a threat to other road users, yes I know you can't drive at the moment but once you are eligible to they can revoke you once you notify them of alcohol issues, I was left driving for 4 months(under investigation) then they decided to revoke me for a year on notification of alcohol issues from my GP ......

Yes everything you have done is perfect and correct and the right way about getting your licence back, what I am pointing out is DVLA are NOT aware at the moment that you had alcohol issues, once they know this then the ball game changes again, they can and often do send you for more than 1 medical don't just assume that 1 medical `= licence more often than not in cases like yours and mine 1 medical may count as PART OF your medical history as they consider putting you back on the road, alcohol issues come with severity levels at the DVLA mild/severe for alcohol dependence and your GPs input is for guidance, however DVLA will treat you according to their level,(how much of a risk you are) and may send you for a number of medicals until they are satisfied that you no longer pose a threat to other road users, yes I know you can't drive at the moment but once you are eligible to they can revoke you once you notify them of alcohol issues, I was left driving for 4 months(under investigation) then they decided to revoke me for a year on notification of alcohol issues from my GP ......
Hi was you revoked because of a failed lft or something else. Cheers

Yes, revoked for telling a GP I drank 30 units of alcohol per week, on investigation my LFT was raised to 170 normal range is 50/70 took 3 months to recover with abstination classed as dependent/misuse attended 4 DVLA medicals 12 months revocation and then 1 year medical review licence issued my HGV licence is still revoked for 3 years....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off