Question re: urine test and cut-off amounts

Convicted Driver Insurance

artsalesman

Hi all, first post here! I've been able to find a lot of info before actually registering so I'm already in your debt.

I was arrested three years ago for driving with ketamine and cocaine in my system. Biggest mistake of my life and I'm still paying for it now; luckily no-one was hurt. It was off the back of a few years being addicted to K which I've since gotten help for, kicked, and gotten my life back on track.

My ban was 18 months so I've been able to reapply for a while now but due to living in London pre-COVID I had no need for a car. That's changed now and I'm in the process of reapplying again.

I sent off the first medical questionnaire re: being addicted to drugs in the past. I've now received a letter this week with a second medical questionnaire enclosed – this time an M1 – due to the DVLA wanting to know more about some prior mental health issues which is fair enough. Based on what I've read here I can sense that a medical is probably around the corner, urine test and all.

In a moment of poor judgement and probably post-lockdown excitement, I recently took cocaine again for the first time in a very long while after having a few drinks. I'm so annoyed at myself; I barely drink at all and had been drug-free for well over a year.

I very carefully took a home urine test for cocaine this morning and tested negative. Given that it was Sunday when I last took coke, this makes sense; it's generally known to be out of your system within four days at the latest. Add this on to the fact that I exercise a lot and eat well, I must've metabolised it already.

The test I took was a 6-in-1 home test from Lloyds Pharmacy, so it's legit! The only thing is that the second line next to cocaine on the test was ever so slightly fainter than the other drugs which I definitely haven't touched. According to the instructions, however feint the line is it's still a negative. From what I can tell it implies some kind of presence in the urine but below the cut-off limit to fail the test.

The threshold for cocaine on the home test was 300ng/mL, which I'm apparently under. Does anybody know the cut-off amount in the DVLA drug test? It seems that the test I took is based off of widely accepted testing standards which allow for false positives. I guess another question is whether a trace amount of a drug that I have a history with (although not from an addiction standpoint) would cause them to dig deeper.

Sorry for the long one. Let me know if you need more details and I appreciate absolutely any help!

Thanks.

Edit: accidentally put my real name!

Last edited:
I do not know what the urine limit that DVLA use, but the legal limit for cocaine in your blood is 10ug/ml, so in reality only just detectable. I suspect that your urine test is not specific enough. If you remaine Cocaine free though, you should have no problem with the test when it comes round.

I do not know what the urine limit that DVLA use, but the legal limit for cocaine in your blood is 10ug/ml, so in reality only just detectable. I suspect that your urine test is not specific enough. If you remaine Cocaine free though, you should have no problem with the test when it comes round.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm a little confused by your message; it's probably just me though...

Some back of the fag packet maths here:

10ug = 10000ng
According to the home test there's <300ng/mL of cocaine in my blood.
That's 0.3ug/mL. In other words, way under the legal limit!
Which surely means the test that I took is pretty specific, or am I missing something?

Also is that legal limit as in the roadside limit? I feel like a test to detect previous usage over a longer period would have a lower limit than that but I have no basis for that logic, haha!

There's no worry of me using cocaine again aaaaany time soon after this, don't worry!

Thanks again.

You said you took a urine test. The result of that cannot be just contrasted with a blood limit as the concentrations may be different.
with a blood sample for alcohol the legal limit it 80, whereas for urine it is 107,......

I see it as ng and ug being the same thing... as on this website:

I see it as ng and ug being the same thing... as on this website:

That site is comparing Nanograms per microlitre, and Micrograms per millilitre. Neither of us mentioned microlitres up until now!

Edit: quoted the wrong message.

Side question: does my offence make me a high-risk offender? I couldn't find clear cut definition of that re: drugs.

No, there is no actual HRO system for drugs, but DVLA sometimes ask you to do a medical before you get your licence back.

No, there is no actual HRO system for drugs, but DVLA sometimes ask you to do a medical before you get your licence back.

Ok good to know, thanks! Interesting that it’s only sometimes. Any idea what seems to trigger one?

Sorry if I came across as pedantic in the post about uL and mL, I just wanted to clear things up for myself more than anything.

So given what you’ve seen on these boards, you think that i’ll probably be fine on a medical if there is one? Also does this mean I shouldn’t drink at all either as they’ll test for that too?

Thanks so much again!

Edit: Also i’ve seen people mention getting one-year licences after some offences. Could that apply to me?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off