Query

Convicted Driver Insurance

FoolishPerson

Hi everyone.

You may have read my previous thread about "My Story.."?

I've got a query. Reading through everyones penalties when sentenced I notice that most are banned and issued a fine to pay. There doesn't appear to be any mention of points on your licence? Can someone clarify, if you are banned does this usually amount to no points on your licence? Is it common practice not be issued points if you are faced with a ban?

Thanks

You get a ban instead of points, they can give 11 points for drink driving but they normally go down the 11 points route for drunk in charge as apposed to breath/blood alcohol content over the allowed limit. I personally know 3 people and myself who have been banned and given no points also not one person out of the 12 at the drink driving awareness course I done were given points. Your licence is returned with whatever points were on it unless they have expired in the time of the ban. For example I had 9 points when I was banned but 6 were due to expire at the 5 year limit during my ban so my licence will be returned with 3 points on it. Hope this helps

You get 10 points for drunk in charge of a motor vehicle OR a minimum 6 month ban.
For drink driving you get a minimum 12 month ban and NO points. Even if you were prosecuted for drink driving and speeding, you would only get a ban.... with NO points because the ban is the major punishment. The SP10 would show on your licence as well as the dr10.

My apologies price is right it's 10 points for drunk in charge not 11, not sure where I got 11 from

Excellent.

Thanks for your reply guys.

So, I should in effect have a clean driving licence returned after my pending ban as I have no endorsements.

Once returned, does your licence have a marker which clearly indicates that you have been banned? Or is this just held on DVLA records?

Your driving licence will be clean of points but your DR10 conviction will show on your counter part licence for 11 years from the date of the conviction, your date of conviction will be the date of your appearance in court. You must declare driving offences to your insurance company for 5 years from the date of conviction. Hope this helps!

Your driving licence will be clean of points but your DR10 conviction will show on your counter part licence for 11 years from the date of the conviction, your date of conviction will be the date of your appearance in court. You must declare driving offences to your insurance company for 5 years from the date of conviction. Hope this helps!

so the 5 year declaration, is from your day in court or from the date you get your licence back?

Just to add, there are two factors at play.

The five years is from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, which makes it illegal for anyone, including insurance companies, to ask about convictions after - in this case - five years from conviction. This is why insurance companies still ask about offences like speeding for five years, even though they are removed from your licence after four.

The eleven year DR10 on your licence is only so they can track if you have been convicted of DD twice in ten years. It's on for eleven years because it can take seven-ish months for cases to get to court on top of the ten years.

It being on your licence shouldn't have any effect other than for that DVLA housekeeping.

can i please ask a question, i am due to be getting my licence back soon.
When i try to insure a car/quote it asks how long i have had a licence for was 20 years before ban, do we now put less than a year??
Or minus the ban period as driver licence number does not change? many thanks in advance

When your licence is returned it still has the original date of passing your test on it. So if that date is 20 years ago you still answer the question as 20 years

can i please ask a question, i am due to be getting my licence back soon.
When i try to insure a car/quote it asks how long i have had a licence for was 20 years before ban, do we now put less than a year??
Or minus the ban period as driver licence number does not change? many thanks in advance

It really all depends on the wording of the question they are asking you and the company's individual policy, insurance companies usually calculate the length of time you have been driving from your original pass date however I have come across a small handful which deduct your ban from the length of time you've held your licence - which makes sense really especially for younger drivers, although this is not the policy for the majority of insurers.

You have to have held you licence for 3 years before supervising a learner driver and if you get banned for 1 year after having your licence for 2 years, for example, six months after regaining your licence you would still not be able to supervise a learner as the period of the disqualification does not count towards the 3 year requirement because the licence was not valid while you were disqualified. This is an exception to the majority of insurance companies but echoes the view of one company I got a quote from.

In my opinion send them an email and get them to confirm the specifics to have it in writing in case of an accident. I guarantee you they will come back and say you put the original pass date but better to have physical confirmation of this incase the insurer has a sneaky policy wording like Admiral - who will try and sue you through the courts if you have an accident whilst drink driving. In asking many insurance companies, many of the staff I have spoken with have even told me you put the date you got your licence back after your ban and when I said that couldn't be the policy they checked and said they had made a mistake and it was the original date you passed your test. This showed me a lot of staff don't know the true extent of their policy wording regarding this issue so it's always better to have confirmation than having a claims investigator see you've been banned but declared you've held you licence since your original pass date and incorrectly refusing to indemnify you after an accident due to a technicality, even if this discrepancy is only 1 year you can be sure they will try to take advantage of it if it saves them a large payout.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off