Private CDT test before the DVLA Medical CDT test

Convicted Driver Insurance

Grantyone

Well Known Member
Hi, this is my first post here.
Last March, I blew 109. Wrote my car off and spent the night in the cells. At court, I went for a local solicitor. If I remember correctly, he was only around £200. He made my case... out of character, good job, kids etc.

by pleading guilty and by taking on board the awareness course, I got a 24 month ban reduced to 16 and a £1800 fine reduced to £1200.

my ban is up 31.08 this year. My Application is with DVLA but I do realise I’ll need to complete a medical.

on that note, I have had 3 cans of lager in the last 6weeks. Prior to that, I probably drank 2 to 3 nights per week, admittedly sometimes in excess.P

I am a reasonably fit and healthy person, and I am hoping that by the time I have my medical, I should be good to pass. It will probably be a good 10/12 weeks with only having those 3 cans of lager. I do around 3 10K runs per week.. is there anyone out there who has drank/abstained similar amounts/length and passed? Looking for some reassurances at this stage. I have in no way a drink problem, but probably like most, sometimes do drink in excess. Is there anywhere I can get a private test before the DVLA one?

thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions. But hope my story is useful for some.

Last March, I blew 109. Wrote my car off and spent the night in the cells. At court, I went for a local solicitor. If I remember correctly, he was only around £200. He made my case... out of character, good job, kids etc.

by pleading guilty and by taking on board the awareness course, I got a 24 month ban reduced to 16 and a £1800 fine reduced to £1200.

my ban is up 31.08 this year. My Application is with DVLA but I do realise I’ll need to complete a medical.

on that note, I have had 3 cans of lager in the last 6weeks. Prior to that, I probably drank 2 to 3 nights per week, admittedly sometimes in excess.P

I am a reasonably fit and healthy person, and I am hoping that by the time I have my medical, I should be good to pass. It will probably be a good 10/12 weeks with only having those 3 cans of lager. I do around 3 10K runs per week.. is there anyone out there who has drank/abstained similar amounts/length and passed? Looking for some reassurances at this stage. I have in no way a drink problem, but probably like most, sometimes do drink in excess. Is there anywhere I can get a private test before the DVLA one?

thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions. But hope my story is useful for some.

And I should add. That I told my employer straight away. I feel honesty is best. My boss was great with me and he supported me. Realising totally out of character and as I was well thought of, I was given a thumbs up.
We all make very bad judgements at times. Good thing is, true friend realise that and support you. I have a lot of them thankfully

Some on here use medichecks for private testing and its not to costly

Thoroughly recommend Medichecks really quick and professional, the DVLA will not take any any notice of the results and still send you for a medical if they want too, mine was 0.6 and of course I passed the DVLA medical as I decided its easier not to drink than keep worrying about losing my license again. (Personal choice and not for everyone ;-))

Thanks for the replies. I have organised a test through medichecks, so will see how I go with that. I don't envisage many issues but you never know.

This may sound like an extremely silly question, but today I was at my mates house and had 4 alcohol free beers (Becks Blue) I see this has 0.05% alcohol in it. Is alcohol beers something that should also be avoided prior to the DVLA medical? They are my first 'drinks' for 6 weeks.

HI Grantone the amount of Alcohol in Becks Blue and similar beers is so low its not worth mentioning, and will not affect your CDT results on your medical medical. Be cautious though if you are a HRO who needs to Abstain for 6 or 12 months the DVLA will take this as having an Alcoholic drink should toy mention it on the form, even though you are likely to get more alcohol from an Alcohol based mouth wash when rinsing your mouth out.l

HI Grantone the amount of Alcohol in Becks Blue and similar beers is so low its not worth mentioning, and will not affect your CDT results on your medical medical. Be cautious though if you are a HRO who needs to Abstain for 6 or 12 months the DVLA will take this as having an Alcoholic drink should toy mention it on the form, even though you are likely to get more alcohol from an Alcohol based mouth wash when rinsing your mouth out.l

Thanks for the reply. It's reassuring to know this.

I don't envisage many problems with the medical when it arrives. I've arranged one through medichecks for reassurance so hopefully that goes to plan.

I won't mention alcohol free drinks on any questionnaire - as you say, not even worth it as it's classed legally as alcohol free.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off