Postings in local newspaper and job prospects

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rm0892

Hi all,

Ive recently been caught and subsequently released under investigation for drink driving. I look back on that night and have nothing but whole hearted remorse for my actions which lead to this, as well as carrying a lot of guilt and shame.

Im sure you’ve seen my previous posts but I just wanted to ask.

Has anyone that’s been convicted know the likelihood of it being posted in the local papers/online and what the severity of their words are.

I will also need to tell my work if/when I’m convicted, as I’m sure I will be due to the high reading. Does anyone have any experience on telling your employer and how that acted/received the information when you explained what happened?

I’d gladly take any advice or support as I’m really struggling at the moment. My future feels very bleak due to this. I’m not looking for sympathy. Just some semblance of hope through it all. I was starting to get my life back on track after my depression was starting to come under control but this has spiralled it again.
Thanks.

Hi all,

Ive recently been caught and subsequently released under investigation for drink driving. I look back on that night and have nothing but whole hearted remorse for my actions which lead to this, as well as carrying a lot of guilt and shame.

Has anyone that’s been convicted know the likelihood of it being posted in the local papers/online and what the severity of their words are.

I will also need to tell my work if/when I’m convicted, as I’m sure I will be due to the high reading. Does anyone have any experience on telling your employer and how that acted/received the information when you explained what happened?

I’d gladly take any advice or support as I’m really struggling at the moment. My future feels very bleak due to this. I’m not looking for sympathy. Just some semblance of hope through it all. I was starting to get my life back on track after my depression was starting to come under control but this has spiralled it again.
Thanks.
I had a local news paper writer in the court room with me. They ran with a story the next day with my name and address printed. I’m a student so didn’t have to tell any employers.
I served my 12th month ban and did my community service and then contacted the paper and kindly asked them to remove the piece. They luckily did so even though they said they wouldn’t normally. But I only did this after I had served my punishment, not sure they really care about the added effects ‘public shaming’ has.

The only advice I can give you is to take this whole thing one day at a time. I was in your position and now I’m very happy and content in my life. More so than I’ve ever been. My drink driving conviction was the starting point of my sobriety.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Rm0892

Regarding the press - generally drink driving cases do not end up in National newspapers unless its to do with a celebrity or the circumstances are very serious (for example when the DUI results in a multiple fatality). Katie Price's recent DUI escapade was all over the National press because she has committed multiple driving offences over the years and she seems to be a constant target anyway for media publicity.

The ones to watch out for are the local newspapers. A lot of local rags do a weekly or monthly court 'round up' where they publish all the runners and riders who have graced the local Magistrates Court. Where I live, they publish a breakdown that includes the person's full name, their age, the street they live on (not house number), their offence(s) and the punishment given.

If you are very unlucky, the local rag will do an article specific to your case. Again it all depends on the circumstances. If you have simply been pulled over, breathalyzed and then arrested by the police you might not get anything published specific to you. However, high readings can be subject to a specific article. I blew 113 & 115, but luckily I did not get the pleasure of gracing the local rag with my own article - I did however feature in the court round up.

There was however a lady in my town recently subject to her own article who blew 110 and that was it - no high speed police pursuits, no crash, no damage and no injuries - she was simply pulled over after a night out. It can sometimes depend on what other news is gracing the local press at the time. If it is a particularly quite week, you are at more risk of having an article published just so the Editor can fill some empty columns before it goes to press.

Regarding employment - you do need to disclose this to your line manager ASAP. Even if you have not yet gone to court, you need to give them the heads up. Not having a licence may not have any relevance to your job, but it is technically a breach of employment contract if you fail to disclose 'new' cautions/convictions. Most work places may treat the matter as a misconduct issue - sadly, if you try and hide it, they invariably will find out via the press or if a colleague puts two & two together when you suddenly stop coming to work in your car.

CJ

You will be in the court cases of the regional paper and yes tell your employer they are 9 times out of 10 ok with it personally because I think most people have drunk drived in the past just not got caught

I served my 12th month ban and did my community service and then contacted the paper and kindly asked them to remove the piece. They luckily did so even though they said they wouldn’t normally. But I only did this after I had served my punishment, not sure they really care about the added effects ‘public shaming’ has.

R25644

That's a good result. I have e-mailed the local paper that published my name in the court round up. It was published in March 2019 and is still visible on an internet search. I e-mailed the lady Editor earlier this year and she gave me some cock & bull about not being able to remove it because she has no control over Google's content. The same Editor retired at the end of August and I've since sent her successor an e-mail and he has just not bothered to reply. I have now escalated the matter to the Johnson Press in Scotland (who own the paper in question) and I am awaiting a response from them.

CJ

R25644

That's a good result. I have e-mailed the local paper that published my name in the court round up. It was published in March 2019 and is still visible on an internet search. I e-mailed the lady Editor earlier this year and she gave me some cock & bull about not being able to remove it because she has no control over Google's content. The same Editor retired at the end of August and I've since sent her successor an e-mail and he has just not bothered to reply. I have now escalated the matter to the Johnson Press in Scotland (who own the paper in question) and I am awaiting a response from them.

CJ
That old ‘can’t remove it off Google’ thing. It’s ridiculous really as I was actually more upset with the article being in the public domain than I was with the actual sentence given by the court.
I emailed saying that the article only served to cause damage rather than facilitate a punishment and did nothing to help rehabilitate people, they made an exception and removed it. But they also made it clear that they have no responsibility too. Public shaming at its finest.

Google do not host content, they just index results based on whatever is being searched for. If you are unfortunate enough to be in the press and the publication in question has a website, it is more than likely that the information will be put onto their website. Newspaper websites use advertising to make money, the more content they have, the more opportunity they have to show an advert and therefore make money. The more content on their website, the more likely it will index higher on Google listings based on the algorithms that Google use.

The major newspaper groups will usually not give two hoots about an individuals worries. As far as they are concerned, the information is in the public domain and they are therefore entitled to report on it and no amount of requesting they remove content will help. Editors of newspapers do not control content of their websites, this content is managed by SEO experts and marketing bods in head offices.

Something to consider is that generally the only person who is likely to be searching for information about you, already has that information anyway.... The more you search your own name, your town and conviction, the more it will be seen as relevant by the algorithm, and therefore the higher it will appear in Google listings.

Gone are the days of yesterday's news being tomorrows chip paper, but someone really has to be pretty much stalking you if they are searching for dirt on you. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act means that your conviction is unspent for 5 years, so you have to make employers/insurers etc. aware of your conviction (only if asked for by employers, but even if not asked by insurers), so they have no need to be searching about you.

After a long period of time, there are ways you can apply to have Google remove you from their search under the European 'right to be forgotten' legislation, but this does not remove it from the actual newspaper website ,who have no obligation to remove their content unless it is wrong or they are compelled to remove it by law, - and this process is longwinded and can be expensive as will involve lawyers etc.

I know it is a horrible feeling having your shame 'publicly' aired on t'internet, but the probability of anyone actually seeing it is very low. Paranoia kicks in and you can see in everyone's eyes that 'they know', but do they really? And if they do, do they really care?

I didn't feature in any of the papers, or the court round up. It is pure chance, so don't expend energy worrying about it. I got a job with the NHS, working with people with mental health issues, after my conviction and they were fine about it.

I was unfortunately caught twice. Once in 2017 and once in 2019. I no longer drink alcohol at all so I won’t be getting caught a third time. I did not appear in the any newspaper round up the second time but I did the first. I had it removed by Google after I had served the ban. The “right to be forgotten”. It was a pain in the arse but worth it.
whether you appear is pure luck (or bad luck) I’m afraid.
in terms of your employer, what’s your job and how long have you been employed for? I am a very experienced employment law solicitor so would be happy to help in any way I can. I know how desperate it can be after you’ve been caught DD. It does get better though and nothing is permanent.

Morning

Some good news - I have had a response from a senior member of staff at Johnson Press who has agreed to remove the article from 2019.

Newspapers are under no obligation to remove news articles, but if there has been some water pass under the bridge and you can put a good reason across as to why it should be removed, then it can be done.

CJ

Morning

Some good news - I have had a response from a senior member of staff at Johnson Press who has agreed to remove the article from 2019.

Newspapers are under no obligation to remove news articles, but if there has been some water pass under the bridge and you can put a good reason across as to why it should be removed, then it can be done.

CJ
That’s brilliant news!
Yeah I think that’s what happened in my case, I left it a year and gave them a good reason. Always worth a go, glad it worked out for you.

I was in court 2 yr ago & hit press a week later just local rag but big spread as it linked to my job & a previous press release we did - despite nothing being said in court
It was awful & 2 years on I still remember seeing it
My employer already knew but lots of staff went to tell my boss under the we need to support heading - they didn’t call me !!
it gets easier to put it behind you & my job requires a press release to the same rag - I’m not having my name or photo - delegated it
Just don’t want to chance it
You survive the press - it takes time
Well done on people getting it off the web

Morning

CJ
Hello C J 1980,
I am now in the same situation as you. My conviction has now been spent and the appearance of my name in the online search still bothers me. Could you please give me some advice on what I should include in such a request?

Regards,
A.

Hello C J 1980,
I am now in the same situation as you. My conviction has now been spent and the appearance of my name in the online search still bothers me. Could you please give me some advice on what I should include in such a request?

Regards,
A.

Afternoon Adam

This post is from a couple of years ago.

I contacted the Johnson Press in 2021 and was advised by one of their jobsworth’s that the article cannot be removed until the conviction is ‘spent’. Absolute mumbo jumbo as far as I am concerned.

The 27th February 2024 will mark the 5th anniversary of my conviction and therefore it will be ‘spent’ six months from now. I’ve parked the original correspondence from 2021, so I can use it as ammunition when contacting the Johnson Press again next year.

If they again refuse to remove the article, I am going to seek legal advice as this will be a point of principle as far as I am concerned. Post five years, the article should be removed under both GDPR and the Offenders Rehabilitation Act of 1974 as it mentions my home address.

CJ

Hi all,

Thanks.
If your job doesn't involve driving in any capacity then you should be fine. It's just a pain having to use public transport.

Afternoon Adam

This post is from a couple of years ago.

I contacted the Johnson Press in 2021 and was advised by one of their jobsworth’s that the article cannot be removed until the conviction is ‘spent’. Absolute mumbo jumbo as far as I am concerned.

The 27th February 2024 will mark the 5th anniversary of my conviction and therefore it will be ‘spent’ six months from now. I’ve parked the original correspondence from 2021, so I can use it as ammunition when contacting the Johnson Press again next year.

If they again refuse to remove the article, I am going to seek legal advice as this will be a point of principle as far as I am concerned. Post five years, the article should be removed under both GDPR and the Offenders Rehabilitation Act of 1974 as it mentions my home address.

CJ
I see, thank you for your quick reply. Mine has already been spent and I'll will try my luck with the newspaper before I fill in the GDPR form.

….especially when they are on strike.

CJ
Yeah, especially the trains. I'll be looking at either 2 buses or 2 trains to work. What used to be a 30 minute drive to work will now be approx 1 hour 30 minutes between walking and public transport. As well as that I'm going to need to change my shifts. Should never have applied for my pcv licence lol.

Yeah, especially the trains. I'll be looking at either 2 buses or 2 trains to work. What used to be a 30 minute drive to work will now be approx 1 hour 30 minutes between walking and public transport. As well as that I'm going to need to change my shifts. Should never have applied for my pcv licence lol.

I have plenty of options on public transport , 2 buses and a train , or 2 buses. Used to take me 40 -50 minutes by car (traffic was always a nightmare) , if I go by bus it's about an hour and a half to 2 hours but i get to people watch and read my book. It's the cost that started to cripple me, £6.50 for a day ticket.
Very quickly I decided to get my bike out of the shed , paid for a full service at the bike shop and now cycle the 9 miles to work and the 9 miles home , instead of paying for the bus I now seem to be paying the cycle shop to fix my flat tyres every couple of weeks (even though they are apparently nearly puncture proof as some liquid in them?!?!)
But I get to and from work now in just under 30 minutes and lost just over 2 stone (been riding since December)
Weird thing was I used to be an a*sehole to the wife when I was driving to work and back after siting stationary in traffic for 2 hours a day , now riding I'm happy when I get home and get to ride past all the people sitting in traffic
My bike is a road bike , I think a mountain bike would kill me , but I do see those "cheaters" on electric mountain bikes hardly breaking a sweat more and more now but at 3 grand a pop I won't be getting one, plus its more fun to zip past them as they are mostly limited to 15 mph
Look at getting a bike , before December I hadn't been on a bike for about 10 years , now I even go out at weekends on it......

Hi all,

Thanks.
Please just know you are not alone. This forum has helped me more than I can say. The people on here will be genuine if you’re genuine with them. I’m in limbo with my offence at the moment and I most likely wouldn’t still be here without the people here. Your life is not over, maybe consider getting some support for your mental health in the meantime? You know you’ve made a mistake and you seem genuine. Check your contract with work if you need to notify after they arrest or after you are charged. I didn’t go to my boss I went to my HR team who have been great and kept it confidential. I May get a disciplinary if I’m charged, which is terrifying, I definitely felt better after letting someone from work know. Remember to be kind to yourself one mistake does not make you a bad person.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off