Police Station?

Convicted Driver Insurance

AnotherIdiot

im currently on bail and due to return to the police station for a drink driving related offence. What will happen there? will they take my licence from me? how long will i be there? what will they do while im there? how long will it take for a court date?
cheers

From what i can gather your license will not be taken from you as you have not yet been convicted by the courts.

If you are over the limit they will formally charge you with the offence and give you a date for the magistrates court. This can be within 10 working days of beening charged .(according to my police officer friend).

It will be a pain free experience answering bail. I answered bail the other week and was told there results weren`t back and that i`d be re-bailed for another month. During my time at the station everyone was very polite and very matter of fact. No bad feeling at all.

hope this helps in someway.

If you are charged, then the police will take a DNA sample and your fingerprints, if they haven't already done so. The actual process of answering bail is quick. The problem is that often the custody office is busy and you are kept waiting until the custody staff have time to deal with you. There is no telling how long in total you could be waiting to be dealt with.
If charged, you will be given a charge sheet with confirmation of any bail conditions and the time and date you must appear in court. From that point on you will be "on bail" and must surrender at court at the time and date stated. The court date is usually about 2 weeks later.

The police will not take your licence off you and you are free to continue to drive until you appear in court. However, if you plead guilty at the first court hearing, then your ban will start immediately.

We provide a fixed fee service for advice about your case and representation in court. Please call us direct on 01942 774172 if you wish to discuss this with us.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off