Police perusing insurer?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dannib898

Hello,
I failed to stop for a police vehicle which resulted in a short chase and as I was blocked in I reversed for some stupid reason and collided with a police vehicle. The other police suv then rammed me off the road which ultimately ended in arrest and charged with drink and dangerous (have spoke about it in other thread)
Now I'm in court Monday for the drink and dangerous charge. The police attempted to claim from my insurer who said as I wasn't insured at the time due to been over the limit they could pay out the costs for the damage and charge me the full amount or I can refuse and let the police chase me for payment.
Now im not saying that I don't think I should pay but surely the police don't recover costs from every person involved in this type of claim? If Joe bloggs was uninsured in a stolen vehicle would they recover costs from him?
I assumed they had a special insurance to cover police vehicle damage in such case. Again I would happily pay if my insurer could tell me it would cost say 3k but as its a special vehicle may be 10k plus but my insurer can't tell me the cost until I agree and they start communication with the 3rd party.
Im not pleading innocent but if the costs are 10k plus that's bankrupcy money, i only earn 19000 per annum and my living costs are high so say I have 100 left per month 10k would take 8-9 years too pay.
Justice will be served to me on Monday and it isnt going to be pretty but surely having to go bankrupt due to costs on top can't be right.
I know I will get answers saying I deserve it e.t.c and if I have to go bankrupt that will have to be, however when/if the police take me to court for 10k plus damages could the judge arrange a payment plan for 8+ years?
It's all confusing.
Im not looking for sympathy or a answer that I want to hear but any advice to sum things up would be appreciated.

Currently going through the same with Admiral, I clipped a Toyota yaris worth £500, apparently it was a write off, my insurance was void and the driver of the car is now claiming personal injury! its like a waiting game and not a nice one!

Me too with tesco. Its so inconsistent with the insurers.
Like the poster says big money is bankruptcy material. Trying not to worry its only money and not much they can do really.

A man I go to meetings with had the same circumstances with the PSNI in NI after a crash with a chase caused major front end damage to a police Vauxhall Insignia. They recovered the costs from him in the county court.

A man I go to meetings with had the same circumstances with the PSNI in NI after a crash with a chase caused major front end damage to a police Vauxhall Insignia. They recovered the costs from him in the county court.
That seems like what is going to happen with me. I might just let my insurance pay out and pay monthly direct to them

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off